February 9, 201412 yr Has always seemed ironic how most adults/parents try to teach their children respect, courtesy, basically how to act and how not to act. Yet when some of those same adults/parents become fans at a ballgame, all that seems to go out the window. The things that get said to players, refs and coaches simply amaze me. How they don't lose their temper more often also amazes me. There is no question that Smart must be disciplined, but again to think that every 18-20 year old in a very high adrenaline situation can control his temper no matter what is said to him is unrealistic. Some may have that ability, some not. We all know there are a few things, especially racially motivated words and phrases that are simply unacceptable, and I might add, wrong. Again, from adults/parents who are "supposed to know better." Would agree though, if indeed it was a racial slur, it does take it to another level. Once again Smarts behavior must be addressed and dealt with, but so must the fan's behavior.
February 9, 201412 yr I guarantee you I could come up with something to make EVERYONE of you come after me if I was a fan and you were the player.
February 9, 201412 yr Anyone have video? Marcus Smart pushes fan in stands during Oklahoma State loss [Video] - latimes.com
February 9, 201412 yr Here's what I feel sure of: Marcus Smart should be suspended for a period of games, I am thinking 3 games. I also feel that Travis Ford should issue an apology for his apathetic approach to how he handled the situation. I would like to know what was "actually" said, but I'm not sure that will ever happen. That being said, it would be refreshing to see a Texas Tech response to this as well.
February 9, 201412 yr Marcus Smart pushes fan in stands during Oklahoma State loss [Video] - latimes.comThis has been the best video shown yet......it certainly looks like the fan is saying something along the lines of, "my bad about that"......I wonder if that guy waffle spit at him....... I would go bananas if that happened to me. Edited February 9, 201412 yr by PurplePride92 Rule 8
February 9, 201412 yr I guarantee you I could come up with something to make EVERYONE of you come after me if I was a fan and you were the player. I guarantee you it would be fun to watch you try that with everyone, that sounds like quality entertainment.
February 9, 201412 yr This has been the best video shown yet......it certainly looks like the fan is saying something along the lines of, "my bad about that"......I wonder if that guy waffle spit at him....... I would go bananas if that happened to me. Not sure that's been mentioned but that would make a bit more sense. Edited February 9, 201412 yr by PurplePride92 Rule 14
February 9, 201412 yr Nathan Elliott @Nathan_Elliott9 1h TTU fan reportedly set off #marcussmart with racial comment. Why do we expect a 19-yr-old to maintain composure, but not a middle aged man?
February 9, 201412 yr Marcus has shown himself to be a hot head on more than one occasion, his teammates tried to restrain him and he was hostile toward them as well, both last night and last week. I have no idea what the fan said, but I also have no reason to believe what a hot headed teenager says to defend himself from his actions.
February 9, 201412 yr The Texas Tech AD said they've never had an issue with fan Jeff Orr going too far. I'd be willing to bet that Marcus has offended more and acted out more in his 19 years than this guy has in his 50+ years. I base that off how he acts toward his teammates, coaches and opposing fans. His teammates and coaches seem to handle him in fear.
February 9, 201412 yr I don't think it's easy to judge one way or another what set Smart off. I will say this, it is easy to shove a guy not expecting it and then literally turn around and walk back toward the court where the fan can't retaliate. Truth is something that will be hard to find in all of this IMO.
February 9, 201412 yr I applaud Travis Ford for not commenting one way or another until he knows the facts.
February 9, 201412 yr I applaud Travis Ford for not commenting one way or another until he knows the facts. But what he could have said was that he does not condone his players putting hands on anyone in the stands.
February 9, 201412 yr I guarantee you I could come up with something to make EVERYONE of you come after me if I was a fan and you were the player. Exactly, and I could do it without making a racial comment. In my day, if we knew you had a short fuse and we could get in your head, we'd turn you into your worst enemy. Your defeat would be easier at that point.
February 9, 201412 yr But what he could have said was that he does not condone his players putting hands on anyone in the stands. If Jeff Orr got racial I'm pretty sure Ford will stand behind his player.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.