Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marcus Smart shoves fan

Featured Replies

If the N word was said by the guy, I don't blame Smart one bit. He still has to be punished, but I don't think any less of him.

 

Thank you. Sensibility right here folks.

  • Replies 469
  • Views 54.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he hadn't kicked in a chair last week I would agree.... but he did.

Anger management classes may be in order.

 

There aren't anger management classes for being called a racial slur in a public place in front of millions of people.

Via @GottliebShow

 

Jeff Orr to a #TexasTech friend of mine via text "I kinda let my mouth say something I shouldn't have,I feel bad" #MarcusSmart

 

"wasn't vulgar or the N Word" another text from Orr - #MarcusSmart

If he hadn't kicked in a chair last week I would agree.... but he did.

Anger management classes may be in order.

 

I didn't see the play you're talking about, but a lot of athletes have done things like that. How many times do we see pitchers come out of games & slam their glove or throw the water jug around the dugout, etc?

 

Still, the N word takes this to a totally different level IMO. He needs punished regardless, because the precedent of a player attacking a fan cannot be permitted. But I will also understand why Smart did it & won't think less of him as I did before the N word allegation became known.

Via @GottliebShow

 

Jeff Orr to a #TexasTech friend of mine via text "I kinda let my mouth say something I shouldn't have,I feel bad" #MarcusSmart

 

"wasn't vulgar or the N Word" another text from Orr - #MarcusSmart

 

Would love to know what he said. He obviously crossed the line.

There aren't anger management classes for being called a racial slur in a public place in front of millions of people.

 

I think there should be a recourse for players and coaches who endure verbal abuse. Happens way too much. Fans who are over the top only get put put under the microscope if a player reacts poorly right now.

Or you go to an authority figure and have the guy removed.

 

You REALLY think this would happen?

 

Honestly, one thing I thought was that Smart should go straight to Tubby Smith & inform him. Tubby would deal with it IMO.

 

Remember Roy Williams tossing that guy from Presbyterian a couple of years ago? And he wasn't accused of doing anything like this man has been accused of.

Would love to know what he said. He obviously crossed the line.

 

Watching it again, I don't know why people are preemptively trying to grab him (ball boy reaches for him a second time at around 1:07-1:08 in the ESPN link I posted earlier) before he even makes the full turn if the fan didn't say something fairly bad.

If he threw out a racial slur, I'm not mad at Marcus. Not at all. Don't blame him either.

 

 

If someone does that on the street he could be charged with assault. Being a racist isn't against the law, putting your hands on someone is. Smart just made himself a target for distasteful heckling fans all across America.

I just reread the Aaron Harrison vs. Arkansas fan thread. As compared to Marcus Smart apparently Aaron Harrison is held to a higher standard by some. Somewhat predictable though.

I think there should be a recourse for players and coaches who endure verbal abuse. Happens way too much. Fans who are over the top only get put put under the microscope if a player reacts poorly right now.

 

Agreed.

 

I really think we expect too much of players in that scenario sometimes.

 

I think about it like this, outside of situations with authority figures, in what situations other than a player pushing a fan would we hold the "player" in this instance to that same standard?

If he said what he said, I'm shocked smart didn't knock him out.

 

I don't blame the kid at all, you don't say that.

Would love to know what he said. He obviously crossed the line.

 

I bet he called him the F word.....

If someone does that on the street he could be charged with assault. Being a racist isn't against the law, putting your hands on someone is. Smart just made himself a target for distasteful heckling fans all across America.

 

"Fighting words" doctrine. Varies according to place with how it's been interpreted, but if Person A and Person B are on the street and Person A yells language at Person B that meets the test (i.e., for lack of a better word, it's "bad" enough and directed at a specific target), then Person B is justified in defending themselves.

 

Idea behind it is that if someone is going to say something on that level to you, you are justified in defending yourself because a reasonable person would take the threat as intended to intimidate (put them in fear for their safety).

I bet he called him the F word.....

 

That's what I was thinking.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.