Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marcus Smart shoves fan

Featured Replies

@AdamZagoria

 

NBA GM on Smart: 'His play & inability to lead his team to wins is affecting his stock. Not pushing some illiterate drunk redneck.'

  • Replies 469
  • Views 54.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your religion can change' date=' your race can't. Whether it is "important" to you or not it is impossible to hide and it almost always outwardly defines you as a person. Your insinuation that PP92 is some kind of race-obsessed bigot for explaining the effect a racial slur has on a black person - people who have, in this country especially, been considered subhuman, chattel, legally different than other humans, and largely still prejudiced against solely because of their outward appearance - is misguided and your comparison of racial epithets to more banal insults is, as he explained, ill-informed.[/quote']

My biggest problem with PP92's stance is that he's told his children to act how they see fit if faced with a racial comment... I also don't buy the "it's a black thing you wouldn't understand", when in reality it's a human thing... We've all been upset, and have either showed restraint or not, restraint is the almost always the right thing to do, it's how we advance as a society....

I can see you or any other black person getting upset at the use of the word... If the word was so offensive you'd think it would be off limits for everyone??? If I'm offended by something, I'm offended across the board...

 

Furthermore, I don't know you or your struggle but have doubts your life has been so bad that you should be so jaded, or "on guard"... I'd honestly be interested to hear what struggles a black man in today's society faces? I'd consider myself well traveled and have only seen one instance of blatant racism.

 

 

My life hasn't been bad and I'm not on guard nor am I jaded. I have been called the N-word. As has my sister. As has my oldest kid and my youngest has gone through a minor issue at school because of his girlfriend. And those are just the times that people were brave enough to be in our face about it. In my eyes the word is off limits to everyone. I'm not defending the use of anyone using it. Anyone who uses it in any consequence should be prepared for the reaction it invokes. That is all that I am saying.

 

My father is a president of a university and is 66 years old. He'll tell anyone who will listen that the black man has to work twice as hard as the white man to make it to the same place. I haven't had to struggle the way my father had to in order to make it where I want to be but I have witnessed my father work hard to get to where he is now and his work ethic is what has driven me and the success I now enjoy.

My life hasn't been bad and I'm not on guard nor am I jaded. I have been called the N-word. As has my sister. As has my oldest kid and my youngest has gone through a minor issue at school because of his girlfriend. And those are just the times that people were brave enough to be in our face about it. In my eyes the word is off limits to everyone. I'm not defending the use of anyone using it. Anyone who uses it in any consequence should be prepared for the reaction it invokes. That is all that I am saying. My father is a president of a university and is 66 years old. He'll tell anyone who will listen that the black man has to work twice as hard as the white man to make it to the same place. I haven't had to struggle the way my father had to in order to make it where I want to be but I have witnessed my father work hard to get to where he is now and his work ethic is what has driven me and the success I now enjoy.

 

Good post that I can understand and agree with...

My biggest problem with PP92's stance is that he's told his children to act how they see fit if faced with a racial comment... I also don't buy the "it's a black thing you wouldn't understand", when in reality it's a human thing... We've all been upset, and have either showed restraint or not, restraint is the almost always the right thing to do, it's how we advance as a society....

 

 

Yes. And my stance means that if you get suspended from school because you punched a kid in his nose for calling you the N-word you won't face further discipline when you get home because I too know that pain and anger from being on that side of the N-word. And keep in mind I also said that if my kids decide to act non-violently in that situation that is cool too. For all you know they could surprise you and walk away and that is fine with me as well. Don't take my stance of giving them the green light to act as they feel that I am telling them to go Kanye West on a kid. I'm telling them they won't have to worry about me punishing them further when they get home. I've been there. And my parents didn't punish me either. Because they have been there too.

Good post that I can understand and agree with...

 

It takes me some time every now and then to get to the clarity part of my point. :lol2:

I wasn't spit on, another member of our group was... Why else would a Muslim group spit and curse a group of non-uniformed marines? Maybe it was because we were white, western or military. The most common reason for Muslim dislike of westerners is because of them being Christian... That was my assumption in the moment and now...

 

I could say it's possible. It's also possible it was due to you being Americans.

My biggest problem with PP92's stance is that he's told his children to act how they see fit if faced with a racial comment... I also don't buy the "it's a black thing you wouldn't understand", when in reality it's a human thing... We've all been upset, and have either showed restraint or not, restraint is the almost always the right thing to do, it's how we advance as a society....

 

Why is it the reaction to racism and not the racism itself that is the problem here? It seems to me that if people weren't using race as a way to humiliate someone you wouldn't need to lose any sleep over how that person reacts.

I can see you or any other black person getting upset at the use of the word... If the word was so offensive you'd think it would be off limits for everyone??? If I'm offended by something, I'm offended across the board...

 

Furthermore, I don't know you or your struggle but have doubts your life has been so bad that you should be so jaded, or "on guard"... I'd honestly be interested to hear what struggles a black man in today's society faces? I'd consider myself well traveled and have only seen one instance of blatant racism.

 

You also cannot discount the fact that the word not only offends the recipient but in this particular case it also is a shot at EVERY member of your family who heard it way too often and in most cases was powerless to do much about it.

Are we still speculating at this point or do we know what was said?

I could say it's possible. It's also possible it was due to you being Americans.

 

I'm sure we looked American, however our clothing and appearance had to not look American and we were instructed to not speak loudly and not appear intimidating. But like I said I'm sure we looked very American. I've never really thought about why we faced that situation, just always assumed it was because we were "infidels"... Our restrictions made it almost not worth traveling in cities like Barcelona and Madrid. I had much more fun in the smaller towns like Zaragoza etc. That was pre-war, I can't imagine traveling abroad now trying to enjoy the world.

Are we still speculating at this point or do we know what was said?

 

 

I'm hearing rumblings becoming louder that the N-word was said. ESPN is saying that OK State radio said that Smart said the guy called him the N-word.

Edited by PurplePride92

Why is it the reaction to racism and not the racism itself that is the problem here? It seems to me that if people weren't using race as a way to humiliate someone you wouldn't need to lose any sleep over how that person reacts.

As I posted earlier, Jeff Orr was a nobody yesterday and will be one tomorrow. It's still speculation what he said, and I for one am not taking Marcus Smarts word for it.

Furthermore, If Jeff Orr said what has been speculated I have zero...ZERO doubts he'll be dealt with appropriately. What's debatable here is Smarts reaction and punishment. Jeff Orr is best known in this world for being a "fan", I place very little expectations on him...

A one game suspension is enough for this situation. The fan just be banned indefinitely.

A one game suspension is enough for this situation. The fan just be banned indefinitely.

Stephen A calling for 3-5. Can't remember what he thought fan should get.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.