Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marcus Smart shoves fan

Featured Replies

Nothing to do with this incident. He could have ascended to the top pick last season. His play of late has dropped him, IMO. Just citing a reason for the built up frustration.

 

Gotcha. :thumb:

  • Replies 469
  • Views 54.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not as much for me. The homophobic slur doesn't have centuries of humiliation behind it. That word doesn't invoke the emotion or anger that comes with the N-word and it never will. The N-word or something racially motivated is the only thing that I think can invoke that kind of instant anger that Smart displayed.

 

But how can you know that if you yourself are not gay. You can't on one hand state that it's a black thing you wouldn't understand and then dismiss the significance of the homophoic slur as not being equivelant, if you can't understand or feel the level of pain the it causes to those that are.

It's video provided by Texas Tech. I believe 0% of it.

 

That is why I said IF

Most important thing we all need to think about. Not every action needs a re-action.

But how can you know that if you yourself are not gay. You can't on one hand state that it's a black thing you wouldn't understand and then dismiss the significance of the homophoic slur as not being equivelant, if you can't understand or feel the level of pain the it causes to those that are.

 

I didn't say it doesn't cause pain. It isn't equivalent with the N-word and never will be. I understand everything that word means but I'm not gay so you can call me that word and it won't affect me. Call me the N-word and there's going to be problems. I think a gay black dude would even say that the N-Word stings a lot worse.

I didn't say it doesn't cause pain. It isn't equivalent with the N-word and never will be. I understand everything that word means but I'm not gay so you can call me that word and it won't affect me. Call me the N-word and there's going to be problems. I think a gay black dude would even say that the N-Word stings a lot worse.

 

Exactly my point. You are not gay and therefore the that word would not affect you, however, since you are not gay you cannot say that the word isn't equivalent to the other word because to someone who is gay it very well may be.

 

I guess what I am trying to say is to me it comes across a little inconsistent to tell white people that they can't understand what the word means because they are not black, while at the same time you are rationalizing that a homophobic slur isn't as bad, when you are not in fact gay.

Exactly my point. You are not gay and therefore the that word would not affect you, however, since you are not gay you cannot say that the word isn't equivalent to the other word because to someone who is gay it very well may be.

 

I guess what I am trying to say is to me it comes across a little inconsistent to tell white people that they can't understand what the word means because they are not black, while at the same time you are rationalizing that a homophobic slur isn't as bad, when you are not in fact gay.

 

Okay. Doesn't change my thoughts. The homophobic slur will NEVER be as bad as the racial slur and I'll never be able to see how they are comparable.

So I'm just curious but do any of you think Smart would have reacted the same way had the fan been black?

 

I'm thinking not.

So I'm just curious but do any of you think Smart would have reacted the same way had the fan been black?

 

I'm thinking not.

 

Still depends on what was actually said. If the fan was black I'd argue the situation could have been even worse. See Aaron Harrison/Rod Winkler.

Still depends on what was actually said. If the fan was black I'd argue the situation could have been even worse. See Aaron Harrison/Rod Winkler.

 

Let's say it was a racial slur.

 

I mean it could have definitely been worse but it could have also been nothing either.

 

 

I'm against the word but I'm against anyone saying it. To me it doesn't make sense to criticize a white person for saying it but at the same time allowing a black person to say it. I understand the history but it's hypocrisy at it's finest and it's dumb.

Let's say it was a racial slur.

 

I mean it could have definitely been worse but it could have also been nothing either.

 

 

I'm against the word but I'm against anyone saying it. To me it doesn't make sense to criticize a white person for saying it but at the same time allowing a black person to say it. I understand the history but it's hypocrisy at it's finest and it's dumb.

 

 

I doubt he would have reacted the same if a black person made a racial slur at him.

 

It it doesn't sting the same coming from a black person. Just the way it is. You calling me the n-word is going hurt a lot worse than TheDeuce calling me the n-word. Just the way it is. Are you saying that if Hammertime used a racial slur to you and then I did the same it would bother you the same?

I doubt he would have reacted the same if a black person made a racial slur at him. It it doesn't sting the same coming from a black person. Just the way it is. You calling me the n-word is going hurt a lot worse than TheDeuce calling me the n-word. Just the way it is. Are you saying that if Hammertime used a racial slur to you and then I did the same it would bother you the same?

 

 

Dunno because I'm not black or in that situation but I think it's become that black people grow up being taught and told that hearing it from white people is unacceptable but not when black people say it.

 

It's a word that has a bad history tied to it so, to me, it doesn't matter if I use it or you use it. It still has the same meaning. Obviously I'm not tied to the history of the word or the slavery period but in being held accountable because of the past. To me it just doesn't make sense to use the word at all but it does bother me when some people become overly bothered by a white person saying it and not a black person even though both used it in the same context.

Still depends on what was actually said. If the fan was black I'd argue the situation could have been even worse. See Aaron Harrison/Rod Winkler.

 

How was that situation worse. No contact even occurred.

I do not subscribe to the belief that the n word is any more powerful a word than what people call others. I understand it's power and I don't like it but it's a word. It's not the word that gets me mad; that one starts with a c. I've been called that. I've been called that with a look of absolute hate in someone's eyes. That's my n word. This guy could have called Smart anything including Little Bo Peep and I would still have a problem with him saying anything to a kid on the court.

A little fortune telling on my part' date=' but I would guess OSU has been made aware that audio or something solid exist to validate that Orr did not make a racial comment and today's press conference will be an apology and acknowledgment of that....[/quote']

 

Pretty close...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.