Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marcus Smart shoves fan

Featured Replies

It's my opinion that if all he did was call him a piece of crap then more than one person in the arena would have heard him.

 

But not if he used a racial slur?

 

My guess, is the truth is somewhere in the middle.

  • Replies 469
  • Views 54.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's my opinion that if all he did was call him a piece of crap then more than one person in the arena would have heard him.

 

Who in their right mind would come to the defense of an accused racist? There's no incentive to do so.

 

And the burden of proof is not on the accused here IMO. You want me to believe he said it? I need proof. I haven't seen any. I've seen more that makes me believe he didn't say it.

But not if he used a racial slur?

 

My guess, is the truth is somewhere in the middle.

 

 

The truth does lie somewhere in the middle. For all we know Smart may have been called the n-word by someone other than Orr or maybe he thought he heard it and he didn't. The point I am making is that the evidence that Orr didn't use the n-word doesn't support him IMO like others feel it does. All that tapes tells us is that somebody called him a piece of crap and apparently noone else in the area was saying a word at the time. Not even Smart because we don't hear his voice at all in the video.

 

I just find it incredibly ironic that there is no real proof either way but the general belief is that Orr didn't say something racist because he said he didn't say anything racist and the 'evidence' supports that.

 

I'm simply using HB's logic to support my beliefs. No one has come forth to say Orr said anything racist. No one has come forth to say he didn't say anything racist either.

Here's a question I have for people....If you're Marcus Smart, and he used the racial slur, would you have come out the next day and apologized directly to Orr? I mean, I can see apologizing to the university, your teammates, fans, heck even Texas Tech, but I have a hard time believing he'd apologize to Orr. Bottom line is, Oklahoma State needs Smart, more than Smart needs them. Would you have refused to apologize to Orr?

Regardless, the fan said something to a college kid and should be banned from attending anymore games.

Likewise, Smart is a mental midget and needs to be suspended for a few games.

 

At the end of the day, IMO, it doesn't matter what they guy said. It clearly wasn't, "You're a great ballplayer and this has been a great game."

Who in their right mind would come to the defense of an accused racist? There's no incentive to do so.

 

And the burden of proof is not on the accused here IMO. You want me to believe he said it? I need proof. I haven't seen any. I've seen more that makes me believe he didn't say it.

 

Staying silent and not getting involved at all isn't an option? Who is going to come forth? The whistleblowing Texas Tech fan in defense of Marcus Smart that heard it all? So that person can be plastered all over Sportscenter for the next 24 hours? You sure people want that in their lives or do they just want to move on to the next game and put it all behind them? Somebody there knows the truth but NOBODY is saying anything. There is a reason why.

The truth does lie somewhere in the middle. For all we know Smart may have been called the n-word by someone other than Orr or maybe he thought he heard it and he didn't. The point I am making is that the evidence that Orr didn't use the n-word doesn't support him IMO like others feel it does. All that tapes tells us is that somebody called him a piece of crap and apparently noone else in the area was saying a word at the time. Not even Smart because we don't hear his voice at all in the video.

 

I just find it incredibly ironic that there is no real proof either way but the general belief is that Orr didn't say something racist because he said he didn't say anything racist and the 'evidence' supports that.

 

I'm simply using HB's logic to support my beliefs. No one has come forth to say Orr said anything racist. No one has come forth to say he didn't say anything racist either.

 

I think the bolded is probably pretty close to the truth. Like I said before, if someone did say it, I get Smart's reaction. He's still gotta know better though.

 

Also, Travis Ford really needs to be taken to task for his handling of it....How do you allow him to remain on the bench after that, when you know a court-storming is coming?

Here's a question I have for people....If you're Marcus Smart, and he used the racial slur, would you have come out the next day and apologized directly to Orr? I mean, I can see apologizing to the university, your teammates, fans, heck even Texas Tech, but I have a hard time believing he'd apologize to Orr. Bottom line is, Oklahoma State needs Smart, more than Smart needs them. Would you have refused to apologize to Orr?

 

It depends. If I don't apologize what are the consequences? Am I only suspended for 3 games if I apologize or is it longer? Do I want to hurry back to the court to help my teammates or do I want to make a stand? That answer will be different for every individual. I'm a very stubborn person sometimes but I am loyal to my team. I'd likely take one for the team and choose the route to get back on the court ASAP.

 

It's interesting you asked this question because tons of black people are incensed at how this was handled. In black people's eyes Marcus Smart should have been suspended but Smart is claiming that a racial incident happened and he was trotted out to be the apologetic one in this situation. "He has to learn" is the phrase that upset a ton of black people. In black people's eyes OK State should have protected and defended Smart better than what they did. The question I saw a lot of after OK State said Smart will learn from this is...who is going to teach him? I also saw a ton of black people say that Calipari would defend his player way better than OK State would.

I think the bolded is probably pretty close to the truth. Like I said before, if someone did say it, I get Smart's reaction. He's still gotta know better though.

 

Also, Travis Ford really needs to be taken to task for his handling of it....How do you allow him to remain on the bench after that, when you know a court-storming is coming?

 

 

The bolded has been my main point this whole discussion.

^Cal would definitely have his back more than Ford did.

 

Does anyone remember the incident in the NCAA tournament a decade or so ago between Utah and UNC? Britton Johnson (Utah) and Makhtar Ndiaye (UNC). Ndiaye accused Johnson of using a racial slur, which prompted Ndiaye to spit on him. Ndiaye later apologized and said it never happened.

 

I bring this up because I remember Rick Majerus coming out and saying if it turned out to be true he'd resign. I remember both Majerus and Guthridge were very staunch in their support of their players. Completely different than how Ford and OKState has handled this IMO.

 

I thought Ford handled him self fine. But after reading your point and some articles I get the push back. If Marcus really thought he heard that then the coach probably should of mentioned it and defended Marcus more. I wonder how much power Ford had in his statements and how much was orders from above. During the press conference there were a few times when Ford paused like he wanted to say something different and kind of forced talking points out.

 

The coach should always have his players back if he feels they were wronged. If Marcus looked Travis in the eye and said coach that guy call me said bad word. Well then the proper response would of been Marcus will learn he can't react with physical violence in situations like this when he is representing his this University, but I understand Marcus's emotional reaction to such a nasty word or phrase and he is a young man learning how to react to things properly in a public setting.

^Cal would definitely have his back more than Ford did.

 

Does anyone remember the incident in the NCAA tournament a decade or so ago between Utah and UNC? Britton Johnson (Utah) and Makhtar Ndiaye (UNC). Ndiaye accused Johnson of using a racial slur, which prompted Ndiaye to spit on him. Ndiaye later apologized and said it never happened.

 

I bring this up because I remember Rick Majerus coming out and saying if it turned out to be true he'd resign. I remember both Majerus and Guthridge were very staunch in their support of their players. Completely different than how Ford and OKState has handled this IMO.

 

How often does that happen?

Edited by Jumper_Dad

Regardless' date=' the fan said something to a college kid and should be banned from attending anymore games. Likewise, Smart is a mental midget and needs to be suspended for a few games. At the end of the day, IMO, it doesn't matter what they guy said. It clearly wasn't, "You're a great ballplayer and this has been a great game."[/quote']

If he called him a racial slur, by all means ban him for life. if he said piece of crap...I think that's a little much.

I still think people are ignoring that this guy had to be getting at Smart all game and he just had enough. I do not think this exchange (piece of crap or n-word) lit the fuse. It was just the tipping point coupled with the realization the Cowboys were about to drop their 4th game in a row. This has to be the case because he knew he exactly who he was going after before he even turned around. Not as if he turned around and a group of people were pointing out Orr.

Edited by bugatti

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.