New practice regulations

barrel

This is not for KY but in Michigan (which is often thought of as a football state).

Our state (Michigan) association is instituting new restrictions on practices, i.e. only one "collision" practice a day during Pre-Season and two a week during the season.

A "collision" practice is one where there is full speed contact between any number of players either in drills or scrimmage, even if tackling is not done to the ground.

Now we all know there is a push to make the game safer. This new rules prevents them from even going "thud" in practice past 1 or 2 times. I thought it was interesting and wouldn't be surprised to see more states going to these types of regulations

I see nothing really wrong with this...almost all of the mental aspect football can be taught without pads on, and those other aspects, such as tackling, blocking w/ pads, and so on, can certainly be achieved in a two-day a week format. JMO

When I was in High School we practiced in shorts and helmets on Thursday. Kind of a walk through day to make sure everyone was on the same page.

Contact practices on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. So this is just one less day of full pad practices ?

I see nothing really wrong with this...almost all of the mental aspect football can be taught without pads on, and those other aspects, such as tackling, blocking w/ pads, and so on, can certainly be achieved in a two-day a week format. JMO

Colleges have been doing this, or less, for a couple of decades. My only concern is that some sort of tackling has to take place every practice. Just fundamental hit and wrap stuff, not full bore 7 v 8 stuff.

I agree you can get pretty much everything finished with 2 days of contact during the week. Most teams only do walk through on Thursday anyways. I think some of the Michigan guys have a bigger issue with the 1 contact practice in the preseason time. Now colleges and now HS have went to more thud type of stuff in practice for years but this is even lighter. Players cannot have ANY physical contact with each other is my understanding. Any contact a player makes has to be with a shield, dummy or sled.

I know most teams do lite contact. We've been doing it for years. The thing is like I said on noncontact days your players can't touch each other at all. They can only touch shields, dummies and sleds. Past walks through I don't think I have ever had a practice where my players NEVER touched each other.

Tackling is tackling. Hitting is hitting.

If you cant, don't or won't do either in August, you probably will be in the same boat come November.

Personally, I'm one of these people that think you become a better tackler in the offseason. Think about what good tacklers have other than natural instincts:

1) hips/explosive

2) agility. Can move

As you have explained it further, I'm not totally on board, but like the concept.

My son always hated youth football when they would basically line him up across from a team mate and have then run at each other. He was quite adept at tackling and all this function did was make him not to want to go to practice. I would like an adaption of the rule which allows lineman a little more contact, but does stop the endless Oklahoma or hamburger drills.

…another thing, but the no-contact, minimal contact or whatever doesn't bother me one bit as far as it having an effect on tackling. I've already given my 2 cents or lack of on that, but where it could become a problem is kids not learning to use their hands.

Personally, and some of you will read this and roll your eyes, while some will know exactly what I'm talking about; but, you want to help decrease the number of concussions? Have kids practice full gear without helmets (obviously with it being controlled, I'm not talking about an all out 11 on 11 battle nor close), but have them do their individual and small group drills without helmets.

Too many kids out there do not know how to play with their HANDS and their FEET.

Some of the better linemen I played with in college (and, high school for that matter) had a helmet that looked liked one of somebody that never got in the games. Why? They were GREAT technicians using their hands and feet.

Like tackling for instance, one of the expressions I've always heard is, "Bite the ball." or "Face to lace" (not just putting their helmet on the ball, b/c your helmet could still be on the ball and your head be DOWN), but put your face mask on the ball. Let kids go through even the slightest of tempo tackling drills with their helmets off and I BET you they keep their head out of it. It only takes the slightest of impact to bust a lip.

I know back when Mumme was the head coach at UK, that their Offensive Linemen did pass blocking drills with their helmets off. Why? Kept their heads back and out of the mix….taught them to use their hands and move their feet. It only took one busted lip or a chipped tooth to keep that in mind.

^^^ Kind of like that whole "Don't touch the stove, it's hot" when we younger. What made us finally listen to those words mom and dad told all of us? Touching the stove to find out for ourselves.