Just to stir the pot again. Who should make the playoffs?

All Tell

Again, third and forth seed should not make playoffs, period.

3 seed Somerset has a fairly strong chance of reaching the State Semi-Finals

They were the 3 seed by way of a 3-way tie for first after only losing one district game. The tie-breaker went against them because they played by far the strongest schedule of the three teams and lost several of their Non-District games as a result.

So by your reasoning.. a team who was tied for first... played a tougher schedule... and overcame huge early season injuries to beat the 1 seed in their District (and also had a win over another Top 5 2A team for giggles) should not have been included in the playoffs?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you put 300 teams in the NCAA basketball tournament , there would occasionally be an upset. That doesn't mean they earned the right to be there.

Yet every year teams like George Mason, Florida Gulf Coast, VCU, and Wichita State string together multiple wins despite the fact that if they played in a major conference they would not finish as one of the Top 2 teams.

In addition, Villanova won the title as an 8 seed. Should they have never even been in the tourney?

What would you say to this year's 3 and 4 seeds that beat 1 and 2 seeds and are still alive? Sorry that you are in a tough district?

I would say you should have taken care of business in district play and you wouldn't have been a 3 or 4 seed.

I would say you should have taken care of business in district play and you wouldn't have been a 3 or 4 seed.
that just like last year when it was said is the lamest argument there is. Maybe the other teams that tied should have taken care of business in district play also so maybe none should make it in. The khsaa tie breakers for districts is a joke. The team that plays the tougher schedule is punished more times than not.

There is nothing wrong with 3 teams making the playoffs.

Yet every year teams like George Mason, Florida Gulf Coast, VCU, and Wichita State string together multiple wins despite the fact that if they played in a major conference they would not finish as one of the Top 2 teams.

In addition, Villanova won the title as an 8 seed. Should they have never even been in the tourney?

Did all those teams you mention EARN their way into the tournament? Villanova was an 8 seed in the tournament, not an 8 seed out of thier district. Or an 8 seed out of an 8 team distruct. Just to make the tournament, they had to do something to earn it. Several 3 seeds and almost all the 4 seeds do not earn their way in to the state playoffs.

I think Mercer County is the example as to why you have to go beyond the top 50% of district standings. In 4 team districts you have only 3 games to play. And they are clumped together in the schedule. A couple of key injuries can impact those games that only make up 30% of your overall schedule.

If you want to thin the herd early you should have more than 3 games out of a 10 game schedule that matter.

that just like last year when it was said is the lamest argument there is. Maybe the other teams that tied should have taken care of business in district play also so maybe none should make it in. The khsaa tie breakers for districts is a joke. The team that plays the tougher schedule is punished more times than not.

There is nothing wrong with 3 teams making the playoffs.

Then lets say the tiebreakers are jokes and fix that. However, every team and every coach knows exactly what the rules are before taking the field. So again, if you know the rules, don't put yourself in a position to be judged by the existing rules. I can't believe there would be a coach worth any thing that would blame the rules if they would happen to be the odd man out. I bet they would say, I know what we were up against and we didn't take care of business. If they would blame it on the rules, then I wouldn't want them coaching my kid.

I'm every sport that has any kind of playoffs or way of determine who advances, good teams can be left behind.

There are good teams teams left out of the NCAA tourney every year. There are very good football teams that don't get to play for a national title every year. It's in all sports.

And don't tell me that all the other high school sports get to because we've had that argument. All the football teams get the same opportunity. On day one, everyone of them is eligle to compete for and win the state. If they don't, it was because the were eliminated by their performance.

In effect, there are 300 teams in the NCAA tournament if you include all the conference tournaments.

Which is why the NCAA has no need to keep expanding. If they do they will cannibalize the Conference tournaments.

The NCAA has a two tier 'playoff system'. Kentucky football is a single entity that diminishes the Region Championship concept.

So, even if your district contains the top four teams in the state, if you don't "take care of business" you don't deserve to be in the playoffs? Districts are aligned for travel, not for parity, or I would agree with you.