Just to stir the pot again. Who should make the playoffs?

All Tell

Why, they all can go to the Basketball District Playoffs without a win...or Baseball or Soccer or Volleyball or Softball Playoffs with 0 wins.

And every football team makes it as well. Just because their district tournament in played out during the season doesn't mean they aren't all eligible. They play a district round robin in the season to determine who advances to the playoffs. Bball and other sports play it at the end of the season (because they can) and football plays it during the season (because they can't play it at the end). It's really not that hard to figure out.

I guarantee you if you asked Julian Tackett if football has a district event to eliminate and advance teams, he would say "absolutely!" And if you asked him if that process has the same intentions as the Bball district event, he would say "absolutely!" And if you asked him why does one do it during the season and the other at the end, he would say "duh, you can't play multiple football games in a weekend like you can other sports. If we could, football would be just like all the other sports".

I really can't see why some of you don't understand that the ONLY reason football is different and has their district during the season is because the can't do it like other sport, so they found a way to do it in season. It's really not that hard.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And every football team makes it as well. Just because their district tournament in played out during the season doesn't mean they aren't all eligible. They play a district round robin in the season to determine who advances to the playoffs. Bball and other sports play it at the end of the season (because they can) and football plays it during the season (because they can't play it at the end). It's really not that hard to figure out.

I guarantee you if you asked Julian Tackett if football has a district event to eliminate and advance teams, he would say "absolutely!" And if you asked him if that process has the same intentions as the Bball district event, he would say "absolutely!" And if you asked him why does one do it during the season and the other at the end, he would say "duh, you can't play multiple football games in a weekend like you can other sports. If we could, football would be just like all the other sports".

I really can't see why some of you don't understand that the ONLY reason football is different and has their district during the season is because the can't do it like other sport, so they found a way to do it in season. It's really not that hard.

You tried this same lame argument last year and you aren't close to bbeing eeven remotely correct in that stance. Every team in Football doesn't make it. It is not even close to being like Baseball or softball where EVERY team makes the post season. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. You say every football team makes the playoffs but it just so happens to take place during the regular season during district play.....that is so wrong. They play district play during the regular season just like Baseball and Softball do, but Baseball and Softball also get to play in district tournament that is playoffs which isn't part of the regular season, you not understanding that blows my mind. Football doesn't get a District tournament so please stop saying they do.

So, even if your district contains the top four teams in the state, if you don't "take care of business" you don't deserve to be in the playoffs? Districts are aligned for travel, not for parity, or I would agree with you.

There is one district in the state in which that could happen. Realign that district and we're all good.

There is one district in the state in which that could happen. Realign that district and we're all good.

It's the best example, yes, but it doesn't address the overall issue. Parity can change from season to season. That's why allowing the 3 and 4 seeds to still be alive after the regular season seems reasonable to me.

If that is the case, some teams have a six week regular season. How long do basketball and baseball regular seasons last? (It's rhetorical...I know the answer.)

Then lets say the tiebreakers are jokes and fix that. However, every team and every coach knows exactly what the rules are before taking the field. So again, if you know the rules, don't put yourself in a position to be judged by the existing rules. I can't believe there would be a coach worth any thing that would blame the rules if they would happen to be the odd man out. I bet they would say, I know what we were up against and we didn't take care of business. If they would blame it on the rules, then I wouldn't want them coaching my kid.

I'm every sport that has any kind of playoffs or way of determine who advances, good teams can be left behind.

There are good teams teams left out of the NCAA tourney every year. There are very good football teams that don't get to play for a national title every year. It's in all sports.

And don't tell me that all the other high school sports get to because we've had that argument. All the football teams get the same opportunity. On day one, everyone of them is eligle to compete for and win the state. If they don't, it was because the were eliminated by their performance.

You really don't get it do you? You use the lame excuse that the teams should take care of business in district play then. What if they do? I will take last year into this debate because I know more of that then tthe teams that tied this year. You say then take care of business in district, I claim they did. The team that you wold not have in the playoffs at all last year did take care of business in the reegular season in district play. The #3 seedd not only had the best record of the 3 teams tied, but they also beat every team the #2 seed lost too including district teams that #2 lost to, they also had the best season record with the fewest losses out of the 3 teams tied, but they also beat the #1 seed team in district play during the regular season. So to say then the teams should take care of business in district play you really have no leg to stand on.

Again, don't punish the best team in the district because of the idiotic tie breaking rules. Oh and by the way, that #3 seeded team you didn't wwant in the playoffs blew out #2 seed in the first round, and beat 3 #1 seeds on the way to the State Championship game.

That fact alone proves that allowing just 1 and 2 seeds in would mean the best teams in a lot of the claasses could be left out of the playoffs all together which would make state titles mean even less.

For anyone saying they don't want the best teams in the playoffs is absurd. Something else that makes me scratch my head. There are people on the side of the argument that only 2 teams shold be in the playoffs saying that there are too few teams in the playoffs because of the 6 classes and some say that means the All A tourney is more prrestigous than football state title because more teams compete in that tourney...then if that is the case then why limit the number of teams even more? Makes no sense.

You tried this same lame argument last year and you aren't close to bbeing eeven remotely correct in that stance. Every team in Football doesn't make it. It is not even close to being like Baseball or softball where EVERY team makes the post season. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. You say every football team makes the playoffs but it just so happens to take place during the regular season during district play.....that is so wrong. They play district play during the regular season just like Baseball and Softball do, but Baseball and Softball also get to play in district tournament that is playoffs which isn't part of the regular season, you not understanding that blows my mind. Football doesn't get a District tournament so please stop saying they do.

And you not understanding why they HAVE to play their district tournament during the season blows my mind. AGAIN, if football could play it at the end,they would. But they can't. It really blows my mind that you and others don't get that they do play it during the season. Quit getting caught up in post season and regular season. They are both district tournaments that determine who advances and where they are seeded. It's really that simple.

:deadhorse: You for what ever reason don't see post season district tourneys as part of the playoffs in other sports...we will have to agree to disagree...you think I'm wrong and I know your wrong...:lol2:

You really don't get it do you? You use the lame excuse that the teams should take care of business in district play then. What if they do? I will take last year into this debate because I know more of that then tthe teams that tied this year. You say then take care of business in district, I claim they did. The team that you wold not have in the playoffs at all last year did take care of business in the reegular season in district play. The #3 seedd not only had the best record of the 3 teams tied, but they also beat every team the #2 seed lost too including district teams that #2 lost to, they also had the best season record with the fewest losses out of the 3 teams tied, but they also beat the #1 seed team in district play during the regular season. So to say then the teams should take care of business in district play you really have no leg to stand on.

Again, don't punish the best team in the district because of the idiotic tie breaking rules. Oh and by the way, that #3 seeded team you didn't wwant in the playoffs blew out #2 seed in the first round, and beat 3 #1 seeds on the way to the State Championship game.

That fact alone proves that allowing just 1 and 2 seeds in would mean the best teams in a lot of the claasses could be left out of the playoffs all together which would make state titles mean even less.

So how did your team end up with the 3 seed then? Don't worry, whatever you say, I will say then they didn't take care of business. No matter what you tell me in hindsight, they knew the rules before they played the season. It would have been unfortunate if they were left out, but that happens a lot in sports.

For the record, I'd be okay with 3 teams if the 2-3 played to see who faces a 1 seed.

I don't care one way or the other, but keeping 30 teams out of the playoffs when some have better records than others that get in just because of their district is the real travesty. Either do something about that or let them all in. I also have trouble with teams in the super district not being allowed in because you have reduced teams to 2 or 3.

I'm every sport that has any kind of playoffs or way of determine who advances, good teams can be left behind.

There are good teams teams left out of the NCAA tourney every year. There are very good football teams that don't get to play for a national title every year. It's in all sports.

Not even close to being a good comparison. The fact that a #16 seed in the NCAA tourney has never won the title nor have ever made it to the championship game tells me that the teams in the NCAA are just fine.

IF in KY HS football there were never a 3 or 4 seed making it to the title game I'd agree with you, but the fat that they do more times than you want to admit tells me that leaving them out would equate to me that the best teams may not be in the tournament at all. NCAA you could never make that argument.

So how did your team end up with the 3 seed then? Don't worry, whatever you say, I will say then they didn't take care of business. No matter what you tell me in hindsight, they knew the rules before they played the season. It would have been unfortunate if they were left out, but that happens a lot in sports.

For the record, I'd be okay with 3 teams if the 2-3 played to see who faces a 1 seed.

Because of tie breaker rules.

and because of tie breaker rules a team playing a better team the last week of the season when the other team rested starters etc. too get ready for playoffs lost which gave the other team 1 more point in the tie breaker rules to get the 2 seed.

Cooper beat So. Oldham

South Oldham beat Conner

Conner beat Cooper

Cooper finished season 9-1 (3-1 in distrrict)

So. Oldham finished season 8-2 (3-1 in district)

Conner finished season 8-2 (3-1 in district)

Seedings in the playoffs

#1 So. Oldham

#2 Conner

#3 Cooper

#4 Scott

out of playoffs Grant Co.

For the record I have also stated I'd be fine with 3 teams per district and give the #1 a bye. I've always said that.

:deadhorse: You for what ever reason don't see post season district tourneys as part of the playoffs in other sports...we will have to agree to disagree...you think I'm wrong and I know your wrong...:lol2:

Here's where you're wrong. I DO see districts as post season play in other sports. But I also see in-season district football games as the start of the post season elimination for football. The first kickoff of the first district football game starts the elimination process. Prior to that, all teams are eligible to win state. They are eliminated based on their performance. Just because the elimination process starts with an in season games doesn't mean the intentions of both aren't exactly the same. You can say regular season vs post season, but I bet you a million dollars coaches feel that the first district game is the start of post season for their football team. I sure would! And just think if it was even tougher to get in. We blow it off as regular season because so many teams get in. If there weren't so many, I bet you'd all agree that the regular season district games were the start of post season.

Hellbird, what if Grant co would have beat cooper this year? Would you say " well they didn't take care of business" All I'm saying is only winning one out of 4 district games isn't taking care of business either.

If its tiebreakers we want to discuss, then lets talk about that. But I would guess 3way ties are in the minority.

Here's where you're wrong. I DO see districts as post season play in other sports. But I also see in-season district football games as the start of the post season elimination for football. The first kickoff of the first district football game starts the elimination process. Prior to that, all teams are eligible to win state. They are eliminated based on their performance. Just because the elimination process starts with an in season games doesn't mean the intentions of both aren't exactly the same. You can say regular season vs post season, but I bet you a million dollars coaches feel that the first district game is the start of post season for their football team. I sure would! And just think if it was even tougher to get in. We blow it off as regular season because so many teams get in. If there weren't so many, I bet you'd all agree that the regular season district games were the start of post season.

Hellbird, what if Grant co would have beat cooper this year? Would you say " well they didn't take care of business" All I'm saying is only winning one out of 4 district games isn't taking care of business either.

If its tiebreakers we want to discuss, then lets talk about that. But I would guess 3way ties are in the minority.

If Grant Co. beat Cooper this year I'd say they deserved in the playoffs and Cooper didn't.

I said that even before the Grant game. The reason is because they earned their way in in a 5 team district.

3 way ties don't happen a lot, but theyu do happen more times than people realize. Shoot they happened this year and last year alone. Soo it does happen more times than ppeople realize especially in 5 and 6 team districts.

Not even close to being a good comparison. The fact that a #16 seed in the NCAA tourney has never won the title nor have ever made it to the championship game tells me that the teams in the NCAA are just fine.

IF in KY HS football there were never a 3 or 4 seed making it to the title game I'd agree with you, but the fat that they do more times than you want to admit tells me that leaving them out would equate to me that the best teams may not be in the tournament at all. NCAA you could never make that argument.

Do some homework and tell me over the last ten years how many 3-4 seeds made it to the finals.

Just because teams occasionally make a run, doesn't mean it happens all the time.