Pappy Van Winkle bourbon theft investigation won't 'leave any stone unturned'

theguru

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it worth the price?

Heck no. I sipped mine and another round, this time eagle rare, came in front of me. After drinking the Eagle Rare it did make me appreciate the Pappy a little more. The aroma was the best part of the drink.

For the record, I'm not a big bourbon drinker.

Had my first try of 10 year old Pappy last weekend in Hilton Head. They wanted $60.00 per pour. Tried to negotiate down to $50.00 per pour and the manager said nope! It was on allocation and we would have a hard time finding it elsewhere on the Island. After much debate we decided to go ahead and order 5 pours. We played credit card roulette for the tab. I was second last out of the hat! Whew. Buddy got hung wit the $300.00 plus tip tab!!

Side note, last night I enjoyed a sip of Remy Martin XO

Ok, first of all. 10 year Van Winkle is not Pappy. Second of all, even at the high end of the secondary market a bottle of ORVW - the 10 year, is about $350, for the bottle.

Ok, first of all. 10 year Van Winkle is not Pappy. Second of all, even at the high end of the secondary market a bottle of ORVW - the 10 year, is about $350, for the bottle.

Hey, told you I was not a bourbon drinker. LOL. The name is actually "old Rip Van Winkle" Never thought it was a fair deal. Just said that was the price they charged. They wanted over $100 for the real Pappy. Eagle Rare was $12.00 per shot and a bottle is about $30 bucks. Ruby's sells that same shot for $16.00.

van.jpg

Hey, told you I was not a bourbon drinker. LOL. The name is actually "old Rip Van Winkle" Never thought it was a fair deal. Just said that was the price they charged. They wanted over $100 for the real Pappy. Eagle Rare was $12.00 per shot and a bottle is about $30 bucks. Ruby's sells that same shot for $16.00.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63922[/ATTACH]

12 for ER is absurd too! I have about 20 store pick Eagle Rare's behind my bar right now! Best bang for your buck you can buy, IMO.

But about 75-80 bottles in my collection, total. None of the Van Winkle's are worth what you can sell them for. Sell them and buy 10 bottles of something you like!

12 for ER is absurd too! I have about 20 store pick Eagle Rare's behind my bar right now! Best bang for your buck you can buy, IMO.

But about 75-80 bottles in my collection, total. None of the Van Winkle's are worth what you can sell them for. Sell them and buy 10 bottles of something you like!

I agree!!

I've had ER before and talked the next guy buying into doing it instead of some other expensive choices. The winkle was a 2 ounce pour. LOL. Drink at home, not at fancy restaurants..

The 10 & 15 year are not that good. I didn't like them enough that I GAVE them away.

20 year has been awesome.

23 year is OK. The eagle rare is better. Actually many are better.

I wish I knew where to sell my unopened 20 & 23 yr old bottles for the prices mentioned above!

23 year goes for about $1800 now, secondary market. Retail is $179, I think.

Tell me where you can find it for that price at retail. I'll hang up the phone and wait for your response. Pappy 23 and 20 comes in three-bottle cases, and if it shows up at liquor stores the first two bottles are always promised to someone else. The third goes up on the top shelf and sells for $1500 at a minimum.

Tell me where you can find it for that price at retail. I'll hang up the phone and wait for your response. Pappy 23 and 20 comes in three-bottle cases, and if it shows up at liquor stores the first two bottles are always promised to someone else. The third goes up on the top shelf and sells for $1500 at a minimum.

Many places now are taking there allocation and doing "tastings".

Charge a bunch of people a bunch of money for a 1/2oz pour of each.

No. Not even close. I can point you toward a half-dozen bourbons that are just as good, if not better. It's really good, but not $100 a shot good, and not $85 per for the 20yo. Just drink Ky Owl for $40-45 per pour.

What bourbon can you guide me to thats good for $3.00 a pour? That's more in line with my price range.