Needs Some Help

malachicrunch

Just recently we have had hornets flying around in the front yard. They seem to be coming out of the ground in landscaping that is at our front porch. We bought Spectracide and have been trying to knock them down, but that doens't seem to be working. I am highly allergic to bee stings, so this is a big problem for me. Any advice on how to get rid of these things somewhat safely? Thanks

Amateur advice here ... I have dealt with this in the past. I got one of those long range hot shot type of sprays. Wait till dusk when they should be less active and soak the area they are entering. It may take a couple or more applications but that worked for me.

Thanks for the help. Can't do gas since it's so close to the house. We're going to go with a powder called Sevin. Hopefully it works. These things look like they are on steroids.

Are they sand hornets?

sand-wasp-bembix2.jpg

I have no advice but wanted to say good luck! I am highly allergic to bees as well; carry my epi-pen everywhere I go. I hope someone is able to help you get rid of them!

I have developed quite the phobia over the past few years. I am very uncomfortable being anywhere where there may be bees. I hate it!

I have developed quite the phobia over the past few years. I am very uncomfortable being anywhere where there may be bees. I hate it!

Me too. If I even hear any buzzing around me, I start to panic! I hope you have an epi-pen. If not, call your doctor and get one!

Thanks for the help. Can't do gas since it's so close to the house. We're going to go with a powder called Sevin. Hopefully it works. These things look like they are on steroids.
You can use two to three cups of ammonia to kill them, or more if you want. Do it at night though while they're nesting, the later the better. Might want to put a rock or something over the hole once you do this. You may have to treat again if the nest is very large.