July 14, 201313 yr Didn't OJ get sued after he was let go? I have never heard of immunity in a civil action. He did and lost in civil court I'm almost certain. I've been trying to find the video of the interview but no luck on my end. I did however, find this video on youtube discussing why he had immunity from the civil courts since he was responding in "self-defense". [video=youtube_share;yd-bNYrn4fA]http://youtu.be/yd-bNYrn4fA
July 14, 201313 yr Despite the histrionics of Rev. Al Sharpton and others, justice was served, and the state of Florida should be ashamed for putting GZ through this. They will end up paying much of GZ's attorney costs. Tried to make a civil rights case out of self defense case. Wrong tree was shaken here. The USA has the greatest minority opportunities of any country in the world. I think the Prosecution had a terrible case. The defense team stayed the coarse, and demonstrated Travon wasn't as innocent as some would have you believe.
July 14, 201313 yr A few thoughts : Jury got it right....but it still feels bad. Key piece for me that showed it was self-defense was the fact that there was a span of about 4 minutes before the killing that Trayvon was not with GZ and could have left and nothing would have happened. He came back. We'll never know why and from someone who is not proud to say that has been in a few fights I can't criticize him for it. I sort of get why he came back. It's stupid but I still get it. Sadly it cost him his life and should be an example to all knuckleheads like me that it's simply not worth it if you're not truly defending yourself. Regardless, the fact he came back allowed the jury to look at this as self-defense. GZ may have "won" but , in reality, his life will never be the same and never as good as it was prior to the killing. He profiled a kid who was walking home living the care-free life of a high school kid who's long-term vision is tomorrow. So for anyone to say race wasn't a factor in the incident is either being done out of pure ignorance or simply being obstinate. HOWEVER, the verdict had nothing to do with race NOR should it. Lastly, you may not understand the sadness of or the lashing out by the black community but don't criticize. Even as a white male I get it. I heard a black woman tonight say that jury got it right by the law and the facts presented but STILL.... I get that and it saddens me. Yes, it's "better" than it was in 1968. It's better than it was when Emmett Till was killed and it's better than when it was in Mississippi in 1963 when Medgar Evers was killed. Everyone of all colors will agree with that. However, the black community still remembers those days because not only have they either lived it or heard about it they still see trace evidence of it today. They look at a 17 yr old black kid walking home talking to some girl on his phone being approached for no other reason than he is black and...they think "yeah it's better but it's still a problem" And they're 100% right. Again, you may not get it but at least show some empathy. No one won today. A guy just didn't have to spend his life in prison. Brought tears to my eyes in NOLA. Thanks, Clizzy.
July 14, 201313 yr A few thoughts : Jury got it right....but it still feels bad. Key piece for me that showed it was self-defense was the fact that there was a span of about 4 minutes before the killing that Trayvon was not with GZ and could have left and nothing would have happened. He came back. We'll never know why and from someone who is not proud to say that has been in a few fights I can't criticize him for it. I sort of get why he came back. It's stupid but I still get it. Sadly it cost him his life and should be an example to all knuckleheads like me that it's simply not worth it if you're not truly defending yourself. Regardless, the fact he came back allowed the jury to look at this as self-defense. GZ may have "won" but , in reality, his life will never be the same and never as good as it was prior to the killing. He profiled a kid who was walking home living the care-free life of a high school kid who's long-term vision is tomorrow. So for anyone to say race wasn't a factor in the incident is either being done out of pure ignorance or simply being obstinate. HOWEVER, the verdict had nothing to do with race NOR should it. Lastly, you may not understand the sadness of or the lashing out by the black community but don't criticize. Even as a white male I get it. I heard a black woman tonight say that jury got it right by the law and the facts presented but STILL.... I get that and it saddens me. Yes, it's "better" than it was in 1968. It's better than it was when Emmett Till was killed and it's better than when it was in Mississippi in 1963 when Medgar Evers was killed. Everyone of all colors will agree with that. However, the black community still remembers those days because not only have they either lived it or heard about it they still see trace evidence of it today. They look at a 17 yr old black kid walking home talking to some girl on his phone being approached for no other reason than he is black and...they think "yeah it's better but it's still a problem" And they're 100% right. Again, you may not get it but at least show some empathy. No one won today. A guy just didn't have to spend his life in prison. :thumb: I do get it, Clyde. Raw posts like yours make me proud to be part of BGP.
July 14, 201313 yr There's no evidence Zimmerman started the fight Didn't the police officer instruct Zimmerman to stay in his car and wait for the police and also not to pursue? Yet somehow Zimmerman ended up outside of his car, which he could have drove off in if he felt that much of a threat from an unarmed innocent, and killing a minor.
July 14, 201313 yr I'm white and read it, but guess what, I wasn't born in the 60s, so I have no clue about what it was like and neither do a lot of other blacks who are wanting to cause problems. It is an excuse to riot and blame race. It's not even news if GZ killed a white guy and not news if Obama don't open his mouth. If TM had ran and not tried to be Billy Bad, he would be alive. Wow. So sad.
July 14, 201313 yr Read this post, white people. Then read it again. Then again. Your -- white people, that is -- cognitive dissonance when it comes to racial issues makes me want to hurl. I get real tired of white people who surround themselves with other white people asking "what's the ruckus?" while not bothering to look beyond the borders of their lily-white neighborhood. Well done, Clyde. Wow...creepy. Thanks for the lecture, buddy.
July 14, 201313 yr Read this post, white people. Then read it again. Then again. Your -- white people, that is -- cognitive dissonance when it comes to racial issues makes me want to hurl. I get real tired of white people who surround themselves with other white people asking "what's the ruckus?" while not bothering to look beyond the borders of their lily-white neighborhood. Well done, Clyde. WOW I guess that all of us evil white people need to go out for a session of self-flagellation. I get real tired of self righteous people of any race who try to smugly show their moral superiority by decrying the sins of ALL (insert group here).
July 14, 201313 yr Al Sharpton and many other idiots on MSNBC should be ashamed for continuing to make it a race issue. The biggest racist are those who continue to make it out to be all about race.
July 14, 201313 yr I'm white and read it, but guess what, I wasn't born in the 60s, so I have no clue about what it was like and neither do a lot of other blacks who are wanting to cause problems. It is an excuse to riot and blame race. It's not even news if GZ killed a white guy and not news if Obama don't open his mouth. If TM had ran and not tried to be Billy Bad, he would be alive. In my best snooty maitre'd from Ferris Bueller's Day Off voice, "I weep for the future."
July 14, 201313 yr :thumb: I do get it, Clyde. Raw posts like yours make me proud to be part of BGP. Clyde you should know better if you followed the trial and knew the facts. The only profiling that went on was profiling a young male who fit the description of others who have committed burglaries in the area recently. Wasn't about being black. Actually GZ when asked by the dispatcher didn't know what race TM was. To say it was race you should learn how TM describes GZ.
July 14, 201313 yr I'm white and read it, but guess what, I wasn't born in the 60s, so I have no clue about what it was like and neither do a lot of other blacks who are wanting to cause problems. It is an excuse to riot and blame race. It's not even news if GZ killed a white guy and not news if Obama don't open his mouth. If TM had ran and not tried to be Billy Bad, he would be alive. TM is the cause of his own death. I could respond to both of these posts and lose my temper and all that good stuff, but instead I'll just say, Wow.
July 14, 201313 yr Despite the histrionics of Rev. Al Sharpton and others, justice was served, and the state of Florida should be ashamed for putting GZ through this. They will end up paying much of GZ's attorney costs. Tried to make a civil rights case out of self defense case. Wrong tree was shaken here. The USA has the greatest minority opportunities of any country in the world. I think the Prosecution had a terrible case. The defense team stayed the coarse, and demonstrated Travon wasn't as innocent as some would have you believe. I have wondered what kind of legal action GZ can take against the state? He was not charged with a crime because there was no evidence to support arresting him. But due to political pressure people were let go and he was retroactively charged with murder with so little ground to stand upon (no pun intended). He had about a 1% chance of living a normal life before Sanford was turned in to a media circus, but now that is to 0%. And I am not a legal expert at all, but is it normal for the legal system to reach for charges they have no shot of proving? I agree with HT721 that the prosecution could have at least devoted their efforts more prudently going for the manslaughter charge. To me it was a waste of state funds and resources to go after the murder charge. I thought the prosecution did as well as they could, but in listening to the closing statements when a big chunk of the argument is, "it's just common sense" and the reaching of trying to pull out the ill will and hate required to convict, they just had nothing to work with. Anyone that remotely kept up with this case knew he would be found not guilty. I'm confused at why people are so shocked?
July 14, 201313 yr Read this post, white people. Then read it again. Then again. Your -- white people, that is -- cognitive dissonance when it comes to racial issues makes me want to hurl. I get real tired of white people who surround themselves with other white people asking "what's the ruckus?" while not bothering to look beyond the borders of their lily-white neighborhood. Well done, Clyde. And I get tired of Black people convicting others simply because they aren't black long before the facts are known.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.