July 14, 201313 yr I may be ignorant but after hearing about the NAACP trying to bring a lawsuit against GZ for violating TM civil rites. Can someone please tell me what civil rites were violated?
July 14, 201313 yr A few thoughts : Jury got it right....but it still feels bad. Key piece for me that showed it was self-defense was the fact that there was a span of about 4 minutes before the killing that Trayvon was not with GZ and could have left and nothing would have happened. He came back. We'll never know why and from someone who is not proud to say that has been in a few fights I can't criticize him for it. I sort of get why he came back. It's stupid but I still get it. Sadly it cost him his life and should be an example to all knuckleheads like me that it's simply not worth it if you're not truly defending yourself. Regardless, the fact he came back allowed the jury to look at this as self-defense. GZ may have "won" but , in reality, his life will never be the same and never as good as it was prior to the killing. He profiled a kid who was walking home living the care-free life of a high school kid who's long-term vision is tomorrow. So for anyone to say race wasn't a factor in the incident is either being done out of pure ignorance or simply being obstinate. HOWEVER, the verdict had nothing to do with race NOR should it. Lastly, you may not understand the sadness of or the lashing out by the black community but don't criticize. Even as a white male I get it. I heard a black woman tonight say that jury got it right by the law and the facts presented but STILL.... I get that and it saddens me. Yes, it's "better" than it was in 1968. It's better than it was when Emmett Till was killed and it's better than when it was in Mississippi in 1963 when Medgar Evers was killed. Everyone of all colors will agree with that. However, the black community still remembers those days because not only have they either lived it or heard about it they still see trace evidence of it today. They look at a 17 yr old black kid walking home talking to some girl on his phone being approached for no other reason than he is black and...they think "yeah it's better but it's still a problem" And they're 100% right. Again, you may not get it but at least show some empathy. No one won today. A guy just didn't have to spend his life in prison. Good post. No person can speak to how others perceive life in someone else's skin. I have felt the outrage has come about because of the thought of the races being reversed. I think the 4 minutes' tactic was the most powerful. That pretty much showed that Martin was the provoker of the actual physical conformation. I subscribe to the theory I read earlier on here that Rachel Jantel was pushing Martin to attack and why she was so hesitant about coming forward. I have heard a lot of Till and Evers comparisons this morning with Trayvon Martin. I am not seeing the parallel and think it's an unfair reach.
July 14, 201313 yr Many black leaders saying this is far from over. The plan is to take this to the DOJ and fight this from a Civil Rights and Hate Crime angle. My hope is to attack this issue in private and let Martin RIP.
July 14, 201313 yr Didn't the police officer instruct Zimmerman to stay in his car and wait for the police and also not to pursue? Yet somehow Zimmerman ended up outside of his car, which he could have drove off in if he felt that much of a threat from an unarmed innocent, and killing a minor. You apparently didn't follow this case at all. A dispatcher told Zimmerman "we don't need you to do that". The dispatcher testified that it was not a lawful order and more of a suggestion.
July 14, 201313 yr You apparently didn't follow this case at all. A dispatcher told Zimmerman "we don't need you to do that". The dispatcher testified that it was not a lawful order and more of a suggestion. You're right. Not going to pretend I did, my basis is all info that came out within a months time frame of the killing. But neither you nor I will know the whole story and its in gods hands now.
July 14, 201313 yr Getting ready to go to Mass, Going to pray for Martin's family. No one should ever have to bury a child. Going to pray for Zimmerman. His life is over. We all know that once the Jessie's and Al's of the world decide they can get their faces out in the public they don't care who they destroy to make a name for themselves. Their respect for the American system is only present when it enhances their agenda. Going to pray for the morons on social media who are making statements like the jurors should kill themselves, that Zimmerman is a dead man, etc. And finally I'm going to pray for America. This case is a classic illustration of just how divided we are and how there are people in power on both sides (although I would argue the left is much more guilty here) are using this tragedy to fuel their political agenda.
July 14, 201313 yr I'm white and read it, but guess what, I wasn't born in the 60s, so I have no clue about what it was like and neither do a lot of other blacks who are wanting to cause problems. It is an excuse to riot . Did I miss this riot you mention?
July 14, 201313 yr The USA has the greatest minority opportunities of any country in the world. . True, History, but people aren't upset about opportunity.
July 14, 201313 yr You're right. Not going to pretend I did, my basis is all info that came out within a months time frame of the killing. But neither you nor I will know the whole story and its in gods hands now. You should probably read some more about the case before throwing out your opinion. A lot of new information has been released since the first month.
July 14, 201313 yr Clyde you should know better if you followed the trial and knew the facts. The only profiling that went on was profiling a young male who fit the description of others who have committed burglaries in the area recently. Wasn't about being black. Actually GZ when asked by the dispatcher didn't know what race TM was. To say it was race you should learn how TM describes GZ. You're incorrect, HB. He said he was black a few seconds into the phone call. The defense went so far as to put a young white mother on the stand to talk about young black males breaking into her house. Why? To show that GZ had reason to call the police about a "suspicious" black kid.
July 14, 201313 yr You're right. Not going to pretend I did, my basis is all info that came out within a months time frame of the killing. But neither you nor I will know the whole story and its in gods hands now. The little bit of evidence/eye witness accounts that there were pointed towards Zimmerman being within his right to defend himself. Yes, he made a mistake by following Martin, but when told by the 911 operator to stop following, he eventually complied. It wasn't until 4 minutes later that Martin made a decision to come back. Now the events that led up to the confrontation get blurry from here and everyone wants to make up their own kind of version. BUT, the fact of the matter is that what little evidence there was...it supported what Zimmerman told the investigators. The racial aspect is present...but it is not a huge part of this. Zimmerman was watching his neighborhood. He saw a guy who fit the profile of a person or people who had been burglarizing houses in the area. This wasn't an isolated event. It was a series of events that led to this. People who inject race into this do so because they want to paint Zimmerman as a racist. This thing was far from a "hate crime".
July 14, 201313 yr I have heard a lot of Till and Evers comparisons this morning with Trayvon Martin. I am not seeing the parallel and think it's an unfair reach. I'm sure you got my reason for the reference but this does give me a chance to clear up any who might have the above thought. In no way was I comparing the pure racism shown in the Till or Evers killings to Trayvon's killing. My purpose in mentioning those two was to show potential perspectives of many in the black community.
July 14, 201313 yr You're incorrect, HB. He said he was black a few seconds into the phone call. The defense went so far as to put a young white mother on the stand to talk about young black males breaking into her house. Why? To show that GZ had reason to call the police about a "suspicious" black kid. Clyde, at no point did Zimmerman report a black male, until asked by the 911 operator. GZ's response, "He looks black."
July 14, 201313 yr Clyde, at no point did Zimmerman report a black male, until asked by the 911 operator. GZ's response, "He looks black." He didn't say, they always get away and "coon"?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.