Why Can't Chapman Pitch Before the 9th?

Rangers won more games than AL Central champ Tigers last year and had season decided in one-game playoff that it lost, too. So yes it's a bad thing.

Cardinals played in 1 game playoff and made the NLCS. Tigers played in 1 game playoff and were in the World Series. Sure seemed like a good thing for them. Is your Magic 8 Ball already forecasting October???

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Sheldon's argument is that Chapman would have to warm up early.

Sandman had to warm up early in the 100+ games he got a 1+ inning save.

What has changed? Investment in the closer?

So Sheldon's argument is that Chapman would have to warm up early.

Sandman had to warm up early in the 100+ games he got a 1+ inning save.

What has changed? Investment in the closer?

Chapman isn't Rivera. That's a pretty big difference, don't you think???

Chapman isn't Rivera. That's a pretty big difference, don't you think???

Is there something unusual about Mo's ability to warm up in the 8th inning? I'm not saying Chapman is as good as Mo. But he is our Mo so what's the difference when it comes to one being able to work the 8th and not the other? Arm's ability to work a lot?

Rivera throws one low stress pitch about 90% of the time while Chapman throws a high stress pitch 90% of the time. Can we really not grasp the difference here???

The cutter is low-stress? I heard Brantley talking just today about how hard it is on the arm.

It isn't about not having Chapman up today to start the 8th. It is the hindsight is 20/20 crowd wanting him up to start the 8th every time things go wrong. It is pretty clear that Chapman does not have a rubber arm by this point, so are you really willing to risk him on the shelf for a month to cover the 1 game in 10 he might be needed to get the last out of the 8th? How we looking in that month Broxton closes?

You also have to count in the fact LeCure was apparently not available after working the previous two nights. Huge factor in how the pen is managed late.

Now, if you want to talk about having Chapman ready in the 11th with Simon going out for his 3rd inning, lets hear it...

I have been asking this question since Chapman was named the closer in the spring. My take on today - if I am the manager, I am targeting what batter Chapman is coming in to face - it doesn't matter if that batter is the last out in the 8th or the first out in the 9th. So I have Chapman ready to go and bring him in to face that lefty. You know if the lefty bats that he will be at the plate as the tieing run. That is where your closer needs to win the game for you.

I understand the wear on the arm concern. You don't do this every night. But when the matchups line up right, you do it.

The cutter is low-stress? I heard Brantley talking just today about how hard it is on the arm.

It has been for Rivera. You ever remember him having arm trouble throwing that one pitch almost exclusively? There is no one like the guy. That's why comparing anyone to him is insanity...

It isn't about not having Chapman up today to start the 8th. It is the hindsight is 20/20 crowd wanting him up to start the 8th every time things go wrong. It is pretty clear that Chapman does not have a rubber arm by this point, so are you really willing to risk him on the shelf for a month to cover the 1 game in 10 he might be needed to get the last out of the 8th? How we looking in that month Broxton closes?

You also have to count in the fact LeCure was apparently not available after working the previous two nights. Huge factor in how the pen is managed late.

Now, if you want to talk about having Chapman ready in the 11th with Simon going out for his 3rd inning, lets hear it...

You're right that this comes up when someone else blows it.

However, as I've stated in other threads on this, even if Chapman can only pitch one inning why not have have him pitch the tough 8th facing 3 4 and 5 with runners on and let someone else then face the bottom of the order for an inning? Why not put him in in the toughest spot?

Exactly perhaps the save should be awarded to guy that gets out of trouble in a tough spot and not just guy who finishes a game or maybe both get it. It's intersting that there can be multiple blown saves in a game, but only one save. Why not multiple saves in a game.

Exactly perhaps the save should be awarded to guy that gets out of trouble in a tough spot and not just guy who finishes a game or maybe both get it. It's intersting that there can be multiple blown saves in a game, but only one save. Why not multiple saves in a game.

The SN article you and I were talking about said Rivera has faced the 8-hole hitter 20% more times than the 3-hole hitter in save situations. The 8-hole is the spot he's faced the most.

Now we're getting somewhere. Took you long enough... :D

It has been for Rivera. You ever remember him having arm trouble throwing that one pitch almost exclusively? There is no one like the guy. That's why comparing anyone to him is insanity...

The cutter is not a low stress pitch. Rivera is just a freak of nature. And you are 100% correct about Chapman. He doesn't have smooth mechanics if he is overused he'll have to make regular trips to the DL. That's why I prefer to keep him in the pen, he'll try to overthrow deeper in games and is an arm surgery waiting to happen.