Where does this guy get his information?

50inarow

School board again tells KHSAA to work out its own spat

The sensitive sports debate began anew in October when public schools, which make up the vast majority of KHSAA's membership, voted to force private schools into their own tournaments.

They were concerned about recent domination of some larger private schools that draw from a wider area
and use scholarships to lure top athletes
, much like colleges do.

What is this guy talking about? You would think the press would be required to know what they are talking about before they are allowed to report on a topic. This guy clearly has no idea. That or he is trying to slant the public's opinion on the topic.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The larger Private schools are in Louisville and. I hope that people from Louisville associated with X and Trinity and the girls schools jump all over this and set this guy straight about athletic scholarships .

Isn't a kid going to a school to participate in athletics and given financial aid an athletic scholarship. Why was he wrong? Is that not an issue.

My college scholarship was done this way.

I think a Lexington Private School that won a football championship this year got in trouble for this from the KHSAA.

I dont think this guy is completely off-base.

Isn't a kid going to a school to participate in athletics and given financial aid an athletic scholarship. Why was he wrong? Is that not an issue.

I think a Lexington Private School that won a football championship this year got in trouble for this from the KHSAA.

College scholarships given for athletic ability are different than financial aid given to high school students based on need to pay tuition who may or may not participate in athletics.

There are specific rules and guidelines that private schools must follow to award financial aid. Anything not in accordance with those rules (example awarding financial aid based on athletic ability) is a violation of KHSAA rules and is should/will be punished.

College scholarships given for athletic ability are different than financial aid given to high school students based on need to pay tuition who may or may not participate in athletics.

There are specific rules and guidelines that private schools must follow to award financial aid. Anything not in accordance with those rules (example awarding financial aid based on athletic ability) is a violation of KHSAA rules and is should/will be punished.

I would hope that all financial aid given to athletes would be given to a non-athlete as well.

That would be a difficult seperation. Even if an athlete gets need based money. If the athlete was brought to the school to participate in athletics. I would consider that an athletic scholarship, even if it is need based.

You are completely off-base. It has been explained sooooooooo many times on BGP that you can easily find all the facts if you do a little digging. Happy reading.

You are completely off-base. It has been explained sooooooooo many times on BGP that you can easily find all the facts if you do a little digging. Happy reading.

Exactly which part am I off base about. Most of the info on here is presented by people with biased opinions.

I would hope that all financial aid given to athletes would be given to a non-athlete as well.

That would be a difficult seperation. Even if an athlete gets need based money. If the athlete was brought to the school to participate in athletics. I would consider that an athletic scholarship, even if it is need based.

Here I'll sum it up for you to save you the reading.

Financial aid is given on a need basis. Parents fill out a form with income information. The financial information only form goes to a third party clearinghouse out of state that decides if that student is to receive aid. The clearinghouse does not know if the student is male or female or is a basketball player or a tuba player and doesn't care about anything other than finacial information. That clearinghouse lets the school then know if that family's student qualifies. The max amount awarded is 50% or less of tuition cost and not everyone gets aid and most do not get 50%.

Here I'll sum it up for you to save you the reading.

Financial aid is given on a need basis. Parents fill out a form with income information. The financial information only form goes to a third party clearinghouse out of state that decides if that student is to receive aid. The clearinghouse does not know if the student is male or female or is a basketball player or a tuba player and doesn't care about anything other than finacial information. That clearinghouse lets the school then know if that family's student qualifies. The max amount awarded is 50% or less of tuition cost and not everyone gets aid and most do not get 50%.

Thanks. That make sense. What about work study money?

Here is my off-base info per the Courier Journal:

DeVries placed the school's athletic program on two years of probation, fined it more than $30,000, forced it to forfeit some games and limited its number of regular-season home games in football and baseball next school year. The ruling does not affect any postseason title won by the school.

Lexington Catholic, which has won state championships in six sports since 1999, has been a focal point of the ongoing controversy regarding athletic equity between Kentucky's public and private schools.

In the letter, the KHSAA cited at least nine instances of LexCath awarding financial aid to students in violation of Bylaw 10, Section 2©, which forbids providing financial aid scholarships or other material rewards to athletes for which other students are not eligible.