Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Where does this guy get his information?

Featured Replies

They had an athlete that needed more aid than he recieved to stay in school. They helped him out. It was a violation and they had to pay the price...

 

The article says, '9 violations'.

 

I never said this takes place everywhere. My observation of todays article was not off-base. This seems to be an issue.

  • Replies 89
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth, apparently subsequent edits of the story now have the phrase "and use scholarships to lure top athletes, much like colleges do" struck from the story. In the link posted, it now reads:

 

They were concerned about recent domination of some larger private schools that draw from a wider area to lure top athletes.

 

This was either caught by the guy's editors (I don't recognize his name, so he's pretty new to the Ky AP bureaus), or someone called to complain, then it was changed.

Thanks. That make sense. What about work study money?

 

By work study money I'm guessing you are referring to schools that allow students to perform generally janitorial or maintenance activities and are "paid" by having what they earned deducted from their tuition bill.

 

Not all schools offer a program like that but in general the ones that do have calculated that a student could earn enough that they could get up to 20% off of their tuition if they were to work throughout entire the school year.

 

So in theory if a student attends a school that costs $6000 and got the max amount of aid of $3000 then they could possibly work off another $1200 leaving $1800 a year for 4 years. (Note that is would be difficult to work off 20% if the student participated in athletics because the hours basically conflict.)

  • Author
For what it's worth, apparently subsequent edits of the story now have the phrase "and use scholarships to lure top athletes, much like colleges do" struck from the story. In the link posted, it now reads:

 

 

 

This was either caught by the guy's editors (I don't recognize his name, so he's pretty new to the Ky AP bureaus), or someone called to complain, then it was changed.

 

Thank God for Jody D!!!

Exactly which part am I off base about. Most of the info on here is presented by people with biased opinions.

 

 

You're welcome to peruse the websites of the schools in question to find the published information regarding financial aid as well. I know that I've posted links for several schools in many previous threads. But usually, a quick google of the school name will get you to their website.

Here is my off-base info per the Courier Journal:

 

DeVries placed the school's athletic program on two years of probation, fined it more than $30,000, forced it to forfeit some games and limited its number of regular-season home games in football and baseball next school year. The ruling does not affect any postseason title won by the school.

 

Lexington Catholic, which has won state championships in six sports since 1999, has been a focal point of the ongoing controversy regarding athletic equity between Kentucky's public and private schools.

 

In the letter, the KHSAA cited at least nine instances of LexCath awarding financial aid to students in violation of Bylaw 10, Section 2©, which forbids providing financial aid scholarships or other material rewards to athletes for which other students are not eligible.

 

Here's another thought:

 

One (1) school, not every Private school.

 

The decision made by this committee will impact 48 schools, 99% of which committed no infraction.

Here's another thought:

 

One (1) school, not every Private school.

 

The decision made by this committee will impact 48 schools, 99% of which committed no infraction.

Unfortunately, that is the society we live in. They paint broad strokes when one falls.

 

All Reps will pick up partial blame for the Abramoff scenario playing out in DC even though the individual Rep might be innocent.

  • Author
Here's another thought:

 

One (1) school, not every Private school.

 

The decision made by this committee will impact 48 schools, 99% of which committed no infraction.

 

And it would seem the system worked.

And it would seem the system worked.

I think some from the Lexington area would respond finally. The feelings are that for several years LC was doing things that could not be proven. Charges were made but proof could never be made. Finally it was.

Here's another thought:

 

One (1) school, not every Private school.

 

The decision made by this committee will impact 48 schools, 99% of which committed no infraction.

 

In the simplest terms I can use is: They got caught! Others may also get caught. Who knows? Again in my post above I stated that it is not every school.

 

If everyone followed the rules, then their would be no reason for discussion or change. Some private schools cheat. Some public schools cheat. In my opinion the whole private/public issue has come about b/c the rules were not followed before. The problem that private schools now face was brought on by shady practices in the first place.

 

Before I get ambushed, I know that some public schools have shady practices too. Those schools also need to be taken care of. I think feeder schools do that!

In the simplest terms I can use is: They got caught! Others may also get caught. Who knows? Again in my post above I stated that it is not every school.

 

If everyone followed the rules, then their would be no reason for discussion or change. Some private schools cheat. Some public schools cheat. In my opinion the whole private/public issue has come about b/c the rules were not followed before. The problem that private schools now face was brought on by shady practices in the first place.

 

Before I get ambushed, I know that some public schools have shady practices too. Those schools also need to be taken care of. I think feeder schools does that!

I'll be the first to pose the question. On the bolded, HOW?

Here's another thought:

 

One (1) school, not every Private school.

 

The decision made by this committee will impact 48 schools, 99% of which committed no infraction.

 

I stated in my earlier post that it is not every school. Something needs to be done though.

 

There is a problem!

I stated in my earlier post that it is not every school. Something needs to be done though.

 

There is a problem!

 

 

 

Something needs to be done because one school broke the rules?

 

Or something needs to be done because public schools don't believe the other private schools are following the rules?

 

Or something needs to be done because private schools are getting too successful?

 

Or something needs to be done because....?

 

Help me out.....

Something needs to be done because one school broke the rules?

 

Or something needs to be done because public schools don't believe the other private schools are following the rules?

 

Or something needs to be done because private schools are getting too successful?

 

Or something needs to be done because....?

 

Help me out.....

 

Something needs to be done because public schools don't believe the other private schools are following the rules?

 

Also, because of the 48 Privates and 300+ publics, 5 of the 8 football teams in state championships were private. That is a red flag in itself. Shouldn't that be the other way around? Based on the majority.

I'll be the first to pose the question. On the bolded, HOW?

 

I have a kid at my school right now who is an 8th grader. He is going to a different public high school next year, and not moving into their district. He will continue to live in our town. The feeder school system would not let that happen unless he moved into the other district.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.