February 3, 200620 yr You steal all your good kids from other states and counties and that is the point. :laugh: If X and T would have just stayed in jefferson county then we would not be talking about this. I bet we wouldn't be having this discussion if T & X weren't successful in football....because we all know basketball isn't the issue!! Anyone seen the latest Boy's b-ball rankings? Sure is full of alot of public schools...how is the possible when they are at such a numbers disadvantage :confused:
February 3, 200620 yr I speak only for myself and not for the entire private school community. I don't believe in teaching a child that if they can't win then try to change the rules. Life is unfair!!!...so you must go out everyday and give the best you can! I am not worried that you disagree with me....BTW...did you (personally) actually get to vote on this prop? I have been involved in discussions on our schools vote with those that did cast the vote but did not cast the vote and was not at the meeting. As long as the system is equal across the board I agree with your 2nd paragraph. The publics are saying the system is not equal across the board. School systems are NOT the corporate world and should not be ran as such. For example, statistics show that those kids that are born into low-income families or homes where the parents do not have a HS diploma are more likely to NOT complete HS. They are labeled as at-risk. Reason, they won't be getting the foundation or support in their learning at home. As a result schools begin to bring those kids into school at the ages of 3 and 4 to begin working with them earlier and establishing good habits. By our meeting and our discussions, I would assume that if your child was attending a public school, they would NOT be eligible for this program. The mindset behind this is that we cannot change the reasons behind these problems, so let's have a special program to help this issue. With the mindset that you mentioned above, we wouldn't do this. We would say, sorry, life's unfair and you just got born into a tough situation. Deal with it. For a public school, that is wrong.
February 3, 200620 yr I have been involved in discussions on our schools vote with those that did cast the vote but did not cast the vote and was not at the meeting. As long as the system is equal across the board I agree with your 2nd paragraph. The publics are saying the system is not equal across the board. School systems are NOT the corporate world and should not be ran as such. For example, statistics show that those kids that are born into low-income families or homes where the parents do not have a HS diploma are more likely to NOT complete HS. They are labeled as at-risk. Reason, they won't be getting the foundation or support in their learning at home. As a result schools begin to bring those kids into school at the ages of 3 and 4 to begin working with them earlier and establishing good habits. By our meeting and our discussions, I would assume that if your child was attending a public school, they would NOT be eligible for this program. The mindset behind this is that we cannot change the reasons behind these problems, so let's have a special program to help this issue. With the mindset that you mentioned above, we wouldn't do this. We would say, sorry, life's unfair and you just got born into a tough situation. Deal with it. For a public school, that is wrong. Another thing that I need to make clear is that I do think there are certain public schools (as well as some private) who are at a disadvantage. I don't think that schools (well most anyways) are run like a corporation. I know what statistics show about a kid that comes from a low income family. When I state "life is not fair"...I don't mean say it and move on. Life is not fair regardless of being rich/poor, black/white..etc, etc. These kids are at age that they are preparing for their future. They must learn that sometimes no matter how hard you work you may not get what you want but you still should not give up!!!
February 3, 200620 yr Another thing that I need to make clear is that I do think there are certain public schools (as well as some private) who are at a disadvantage. I don't think that schools (well most anyways) are run like a corporation. I know what statistics show about a kid that comes from a low income family. When I state "life is not fair"...I don't mean say it and move on. Life is not fair regardless of being rich/poor, black/white..etc, etc. These kids are at age that they are preparing for their future. They must learn that sometimes no matter how hard you work you may not get what you want but you still should not give up!!! 100% agreement :thumb: Politicians that unfortunately run our school don't get elected on that last point, though. And us public school folks are at their whims. Remember we have to have ALL kids at level of proficient by 2011. Doesn't matter what life deals with them. NO matter where they are, we are to have them ALL at the minimum same level. Put that in a sports mindset and while T and X would be distinguished and not the level I am talking about, we have to have them to a Scott County/Harrison County/Paul Dunbar level, EVERYONE, by 2011. TD, if I offended you, I sincerely apologize. I have too much respect for you to do that.
February 3, 200620 yr 100% agreement :thumb: Politicians that unfortunately run our school don't get elected on that last point, though. And us public school folks are at their whims. Remember we have to have ALL kids at level of proficient by 2011. Doesn't matter what life deals with them. NO matter where they are, we are to have them ALL at the minimum same level. Put that in a sports mindset and while T and X would be distinguished and not the level I am talking about, we have to have them to a Scott County/Harrison County/Paul Dunbar level, EVERYONE, by 2011. TD, if I offended you, I sincerely apologize. I have too much respect for you to do that. You do not offend me! I respect your opinion. :thumb: I just really worry what example that some adults are setting for these kids. My main concern is the best interest of any kid.
February 3, 200620 yr I agree that the best for all kids should be the primary concern. Whatever the final result, there will be someone left out. As far as the kids are concern, let them roll out a ball at the local playground and they would be just as happy. Let adults get involved in children's games and we are GUARANTEED to mess it up. :madman: Another point to my earlier rant is the new 4th year math requirements. It was said the 4th credit must be in the higher level math. Trig, Calculus, etc. Think back to your senior class. Everyone able to complete one of those classes? For the class of 2012, everyone will HAVE TO for a public school high school kid. EVERYONE. If they come to us their freshmen year and cannot add a fraction or figure a percentage, doesn't matter, they have to complete Calculus or Trig their senior year. So that our math scores look better against other countries.
February 3, 200620 yr I agree that the best for all kids should be the primary concern. Whatever the final result, there will be someone left out. As far as the kids are concern, let them roll out a ball at the local playground and they would be just as happy. Let adults get involved in children's games and we are GUARANTEED to mess it up. :madman: Another point to my earlier rant is the new 4th year math requirements. It was said the 4th credit must be in the higher level math. Trig, Calculus, etc. Think back to your senior class. Everyone able to complete one of those classes? For the class of 2012, everyone will HAVE TO for a public school high school kid. EVERYONE. If they come to us their freshmen year and cannot add a fraction or figure a percentage, doesn't matter, they have to complete Calculus or Trig their senior year. So that our math scores look better against other countries. As I read the articles, Algebra II was the top requirement. I do believe that almost all kids are capable of Algebra II and that the vast majority of kids could handle simple calculus, if pushed. One point I can agree with. The preparation for these requirements had better start well before high school. As far as why we should do this. It isn't to make our math scores look better. It is to allow our kids to compete against people that are being pushed to learn these things.
February 3, 200620 yr As I read the articles, Algebra II was the top requirement. I do believe that almost all kids are capable of Algebra II and that the vast majority of kids could handle simple calculus, if pushed. One point I can agree with. The preparation for these requirements had better start well before high school. As far as why we should do this. It isn't to make our math scores look better. It is to allow our kids to compete against people that are being pushed to learn these things. From the KY POST... http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060202/NEWS02/602020388/1014 Students will still need the current 22 credit hours for graduation. But those have to include, for the first time, algebra II as well as the currently required algebra I and geometry. The fourth year must be an advanced course and could be trigonometry, calculus, statistics or another high-level math course, said state Board of Education spokeswoman Lisa Gross.
February 3, 200620 yr As I read the articles, Algebra II was the top requirement. I do believe that almost all kids are capable of Algebra II and that the vast majority of kids could handle simple calculus, if pushed. One point I can agree with. The preparation for these requirements had better start well before high school. As far as why we should do this. It isn't to make our math scores look better. It is to allow our kids to compete against people that are being pushed to learn these things. Kids are not some cookie cutter experiments. There are many, many good paying jobs that are vitally needed that does not require this math. I have never used any of the precal I learned in college and have got along quite well. I also believe the entrepreneur that has owned the furniture and shoe store here in our county had gotten by in his career without use of the pythagorem theorem. I know the farmers in our community use Geometry but not sure they have ever used factoring. Also, not sure where graphing and knowing the 4 quadrants of a graph comes into play for the gentleman who make about $20 per hour welding.
February 3, 200620 yr Kids are not some cookie cutter experiments. There are many, many good paying jobs that are vitally needed that does not require this math. I have never used any of the precal I learned in college and have got along quite well. I also believe the entrepreneur that has owned the furniture and shoe store here in our county had gotten by in his career without use of the pythagorem theorem. I know the farmers in our community use Geometry but not sure they have ever used factoring. Also, not sure where graphing and knowing the 4 quadrants of a graph comes into play for the gentleman who make about $20 per hour welding. The same thing could be said about poetry and history, but I think that both are essential to an education. I still read the requirement as saying that Algebra II is the top requirement. I interpreted it to mean that if you took Algebra I, geometry and Algebra II in the first three years, a fourth year with a higher level course would still be required. I think it is a good idea. This country needs to produce more engineers and scientists. Making kids more comfortable with math would help.
February 3, 200620 yr The same thing could be said about poetry and history, but I think that both are essential to an education. I still read the requirement as saying that Algebra II is the top requirement. I interpreted it to mean that if you took Algebra I, geometry and Algebra II in the first three years, a fourth year with a higher level course would still be required. I think it is a good idea. This country needs to produce more engineers and scientists. Making kids more comfortable with math would help. I see how you are reading it and that very well may be true. You can't take the first 3 and then drop down to a basic math class. Thanks for pointing that out to me. :thumb:
February 3, 200620 yr Kids are not some cookie cutter experiments. There are many, many good paying jobs that are vitally needed that does not require this math. I have never used any of the precal I learned in college and have got along quite well. I also believe the entrepreneur that has owned the furniture and shoe store here in our county had gotten by in his career without use of the pythagorem theorem. I know the farmers in our community use Geometry but not sure they have ever used factoring. Also, not sure where graphing and knowing the 4 quadrants of a graph comes into play for the gentleman who make about $20 per hour welding. I was a union pipefitter for 38 years before I retired in 2004 and I guarantee that as a guy who made over $25 an hour welding and fitting that I used trig everyday to lay out piping plans and fabricate them.
February 3, 200620 yr Author I was a union pipefitter for 38 years before I retired in 2004 and I guarantee that as a guy who made over $25 an hour welding and fitting that I used trig everyday to lay out piping plans and fabricate them. Did you get accused of having an unfair advantage? :lol:
February 3, 200620 yr Why is this math requirement so bad?...It's called progress. The world is more technolgically advanced today than when we were kids. Today's kids need to be able to thrive. Require them too! OR We could separate all the states so our kids can win some more jobs...that'll work...its unfair that these other states and countries are better than us. These other states require too much from their students...and that gives them an unfair advantage.
February 4, 200620 yr Did you get accused of having an unfair advantage? :lol: The only unfair advantage I had was that I was good at what I did and showed up for work every day .
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.