Elimnation of transfer rule/Recruiting?

With the way parents are nowadays this is a whole different issue. When did parenting become a democracy? Parents should hold firm with their children and teach them life lessons instead of allowing them to feel as if life is as easy as bouncing from school to school for whatever reason.

I can empathize with your position that student athletes should not be coddled and they they need to be able to constructively accept correction and discipline. But there are also times when an athletically motivated transfer can be justified. An example would be being good enough to start on other teams, but relagated to JV because you have a superstar player in front of you.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough. On a more personal level, if a kid feels as if he isn't getting "treated fairly", which could entail several things, what lesson is that kid learning? When life hits you and things get tough, quit and change? What happens when they have a bad day at their job? They should quit? Another point is that most kids are ok with where they play but when they are enticed to look at another school, this creates obvious issues.

Why is the first assumption that the kids or parents feel they are not being treated fairly?

That is not what I've observed at all in the situations I've been exposed to.

I can empathize with your position that student athletes should not be coddled and they they need to be able to constructively accept correction and discipline. But there are also times when an athletically motivated transfer can be justified. An example would be being good enough to start on other teams, but relagated to JV because you have a superstar player in front of you.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. So when that kid gets into the real world and in his job he has a person in front of them is he/she supposed to quit and go somewhere else? Unless I'm mistaken, if one does not own his/her own business there is always someone in front of you. How about sending the message work harder and get better instead of it is too tough. There are too many good players in front of you so quit and go somewhere else.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. So when that kid gets into the real world and in his job he has a person in front of them is he/she supposed to quit and go somewhere else? Unless I'm mistaken, if one does not own his/her own business there is always someone in front of you. How about sending the message work harder and get better instead of it is too tough. There are too many good players in front of you so quit and go somewhere else.

You cannot get athletic scholarship money sitting on the bench at varsity games, or being a career JV player. I have witnessed too many situations where the coaches' agenda does not include playing the best players or even winning. This is particularly true when the coach is also the parent of a player.

Many issues that we don't know about can play a part in this taking place. Last year we had a girl on our softball team who as a:

Freshman started at Scott.

Sophomore started at Dixie.

Junior & Senior at NewCath.

Family issues you know nothing about.....like the Alexis Mayes issue.....needs to be left alone

If the legislation passes that gives power back to the KHSAA this recruiting/transferring non sense that is way out of hand will hopefully come to a screeching halt.

Just like in a court case, what you know and what you can prove are 2 different things a lot of times!!

You cannot get athletic scholarship money sitting on the bench at varsity games, or being a career JV player. I have witnessed too many situations where the coaches' agenda does not include playing the best players or even winning. This is particularly true when the coach is also the parent of a player.

Let's look at what you said....first, if you are good enough to possibly play at the next level and earn a scholarship you won't be on the JV team. Period. Secondly, this thread is about transferring...not coach's agendas. Do some research and see the percentage of high school kids that earn scholarships every year. Pretty low. Why? There aren't enough spots and most kids aren't good enough to play at the next level...regardless of if it is D1, D2, NAIA, etc.

Couldn't agree with you more. It would be like back in the 80's when a player played basketball for Newport, transferred to Dayton for Baseball, back to Newport, I believe he even stopped over in Bellevue. He never moved but would "run the river" playing sports for whichever team he could get along with the coach and his parents could. It was crazy.

There must be some sort of rules but people use false addresses at all schools both big and small, successful and not so successful. Heck a couple of years ago at Dayton I went to watch my niece play and most of the girl's basketball team lived out of District, 2 of the big names had never lived in Dayton but used Grandma's address. Dayton knew it but didn't care.

If the transfer rule was eliminated the chaos that followed would be crazy.

Let's look at what you said....first, if you are good enough to possibly play at the next level and earn a scholarship you won't be on the JV team. Period. Secondly, this thread is about transferring...not coach's agendas. Do some research and see the percentage of high school kids that earn scholarships every year. Pretty low. Why? There aren't enough spots and most kids aren't good enough to play at the next level...regardless of if it is D1, D2, NAIA, etc.

This is just flat out NOT TRUE and I have seen it first hand. If you are play the same position as a Mr. Basketball or Football and you are in the same class or older, you will never see the court or field. Furthermore, if you play the position as the child of a coach you can almost always count on a conflict of interest! I am also aware of bulling taking place on teams that is actually supported or encouraged by the coaching staff.

This is just flat out NOT TRUE and I have seen it first hand. If you are play the same position as a Mr. Basketball or Football and you are in the same class or older, you will never see the court or field. Furthermore, if you play the position as the child of a coach you can almost always count on a conflict of interest! I am also aware of bulling taking place on teams that is actually supported or encouraged by the coaching staff.

You missed the whole point but I understand what you are saying.

Maybe you should do a little research. Happens all the time. DeShawn Stephens is the starting C @ SD State. While watching them play vs FGCU, announcers made note that he was a JV player through his JR year, and got cut as a senior. Still found his way to a D1 school. It happens, especially at larger schools like a big 6A school, and would be even more likely in hoops where only 5 can get on the field. You seem to be very emotional about this subject, hit home a little maybe?

Maybe you should do a little research. Happens all the time. DeShawn Stephens is the starting C @ SD State. While watching them play vs FGCU, announcers made note that he was a JV player through his JR year, and got cut as a senior. Still found his way to a D1 school. It happens, especially at larger schools like a big 6A school, and would be even more likely in hoops where only 5 can get on the field. You seem to be very emotional about this subject, hit home a little maybe?

I didn't say it never happened but majority of the time. I have no connection whatsoever. It just amazes me the lack of common sense sometimes.