Elimnation of transfer rule/Recruiting?

Through many threads on here, I have noticed where the rules about transferring have been discussed. It has been mentioned several times that student athletes should be allowed to transfer schools as they wish and parents be able to do what they feel is in their child's best interest. I have also seen where it has been said that a child should be allowed to transfer once in their high school career without penalty (sitting out a year). All of these sound like reasonable ideas and I am not disagreeing with any one of them. However, I am curious as to what everyone thinks about how this would change what high school basketball is about in terms of schools/boosters/coaches recruiting players from other schools. We all know that this is not allowed by the KHSAA, but that it happens. I have seen this first hand, as I am sure many of you have. Do you think allowing kids to transfer will cause 'recruiting' to get out of hand (if not already) if players would not be penalized for doing so?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Through many threads on here, I have noticed where the rules about transferring have been discussed. It has been mentioned several times that student athletes should be allowed to transfer schools as they wish and parents be able to do what they feel is in their child's best interest. I have also seen where it has been said that a child should be allowed to transfer once in their high school career without penalty (sitting out a year). All of these sound like reasonable ideas and I am not disagreeing with any one of them. However, I am curious as to what everyone thinks about how this would change what high school basketball is about in terms of schools/boosters/coaches recruiting players from other schools. We all know that this is not allowed by the KHSAA, but that it happens. I have seen this first hand, as I am sure many of you have. Do you think allowing kids to transfer will cause 'recruiting' to get out of hand (if not already) if players would not be penalized for doing so?

If the legislation passes that gives power back to the KHSAA this recruiting/transferring non sense that is way out of hand will hopefully come to a screeching halt.

If the legislation passes that gives power back to the KHSAA this recruiting/transferring non sense that is way out of hand will hopefully come to a screeching halt.

Not nearly enough manpower to make it come to a screeching halt. Not even close.

Anything has to be better than what is going on at the moment.

Perhaps, but it will be like trying to cover the Commonwealth with a handkerchief. Impossible to deal with it all without becoming a giant entity with several investigators, attorneys, etc.

Who cares? Why should anyone care where a kid wants to attend a school? If there are losers out there willing to bribe kids to go to their high school let them waste their money. There is not much financial gain for spending money on HS recruits except at the elite level. Schools like Holy Cross, NCC, CCH, and Brossart aren't paying kids to come to school nor would they start.

Yes you do. I love to always hear the reason why people think they should have any control on where a kid attends school or plays athletics.

Parents and athletes already have complete control of where they attend high school and participate in sports, up until their first varsity competition.

Yes you do. I love to always hear the reason why people think they should have any control on where a kid attends school or plays athletics.

Fair enough. It is not a matter of control yet a matter of logistics. It does not seem right that a kid, for example, through his junior year, has played for 3 different high schools. On a more personal level, if a kid feels as if he isn't getting "treated fairly", which could entail several things, what lesson is that kid learning? When life hits you and things get tough, quit and change? What happens when they have a bad day at their job? They should quit? Another point is that most kids are ok with where they play but when they are enticed to look at another school, this creates obvious issues.

Parents and athletes already have complete control of where they attend high school and participate in sports, up until their first varsity competition.

With the way parents are nowadays this is a whole different issue. When did parenting become a democracy? Parents should hold firm with their children and teach them life lessons instead of allowing them to feel as if life is as easy as bouncing from school to school for whatever reason.

I think no rules would basically lead to AAU teams being formed with no rules in place. For the record, I'm for the one transfer deal discussed in this forum previously. Then a second transfer would be scrutinized highly and gone over with a fine tooth comb to ensure it was withing the boundaries of bylaw 6.

Fair enough. It is not a matter of control yet a matter of logistics. It does not seem right that a kid, for example, through his junior year, has played for 3 different high schools. On a more personal level, if a kid feels as if he isn't getting "treated fairly", which could entail several things, what lesson is that kid learning? When life hits you and things get tough, quit and change? What happens when they have a bad day at their job? They should quit? Another point is that most kids are ok with where they play but when they are enticed to look at another school, this creates obvious issues.

Many issues that we don't know about can play a part in this taking place. Last year we had a girl on our softball team who as a:

Freshman started at Scott.

Sophomore started at Dixie.

Junior & Senior at NewCath.