Simon Kenton vs Collins 1-21-2013 Cancelled

How in anyway can this honor the memory of Dr. King? Has the Kenton Co BOE scheduled a program or service in the memory of MLK that will take place at the time the game was scheduled?

I have always thought it would be better for schools to be in session on MLK day and devote the day to study of the man and what he stood for instead of kids having a day off with no idea why.

Been a while since I've completely agreed with someone's line of thought on BGP as we all often differ but ya. I agree. Kids see it as a day off and maybe it can be but not like this. Talk to them about MLK, slavery, civil rights and how far we've come. Make them acknowledge and devote some time. It wasn't too long ago I was a student(decade) but we would've gotten a lot more out of a day of recognition/devotion than a day off. Hell give them extra credit if they do work.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How in anyway can this honor the memory of Dr. King? Has the Kenton Co BOE scheduled a program or service in the memory of MLK that will take place at the time the game was scheduled?

I have always thought it would be better for schools to be in session on MLK day and devote the day to study of the man and what he stood for instead of kids having a day off with no idea why.

Been a while since I've completely agreed with someone's line of thought on BGP as we all often differ but ya. I agree. Kids see it as a day off and maybe it can be but not like this. Talk to them about MLK, slavery, civil rights and how far we've come. Make them acknowledge and devote some time. It wasn't too long ago I was a student(decade) but we would've gotten a lot more out of a day of recognition/devotion than a day off. Hell give them extra credit if they do work.

Dang, are y'all trying to change Black History Month into Black History Day now? Geez, it's already the shortest month of the year. :lol:

This is the same school system that recently had a weeklong celebration called "Live the Dream" that was highlighted by a boys and girls basketball tournament. Now they can't even play on this day?

I was driving in to work this morning and heard about parades, marches and yes, sporting events set aside today to honor Dr. King. I believe there are ways for the students to honor a great American other than suggesting that they go into hibernation for the day.

To me, not allowing kids to play in basketball games that are to honor Dr. King makes a statement that they don't want kids to celebrate and honor Dr. King. This game was going to be at Henry County and is called the MLK Classic!

Kenton County Schools does have a new superintendent who is now into her second school year. I’m a believer that athletics and school activities are one of the best things afforded to kids but I’m not sure all the decisions I read and hear about are aimed in that direction. I’m sure their decisions are aimed at safety and political correctness but there is a point where the pendulum on each can sway too far.

These policies effect more than this game. Onsite and OFFSITE practices are also prohibited on Sunday for one policy and Monday for another. Bottom line : you are robbed of the ability to prepare your team to play a game on Tuesday!

This policy is also applicable to Boone County Schools. I believe this is why the Cooper/Conner game is being played on Wednesday this week, instead of Tuesday. They can't practice on Sunday, nor can they practice today. This allows them to prepare tomorrow and play the game on Wednesday. Not saying this is right, wrong, or indifferent, but those two teams had the foresight to schedule accordingly.

Kenton County Schools does have a new superintendent who is now into her second school year. I’m a believer that athletics and school activities are one of the best things afforded to kids but I’m not sure all the decisions I read and hear about are aimed in that direction. I’m sure their decisions are aimed at safety and political correctness but there is a point where the pendulum on each can sway too far.

If the Kenton County School Board amends its policy to permit games on the MLK Holiday, great...let's play two.

The Board members are elected officials. If the citizens of Kenton County do not like their policies they can throw the bums out. I'm not sure I would call it political correctness as much as political reality. I recall Arizona losing a Super Bowl because of its refusal to recognize the MLK Holiday. When the NFL said we aren't coming back, never, never, never became - - Happy Birthday!

In light of the prohibition currently in place, why would Simon Kenton schedule the game?

The one thing I'm not sure of is how long this rule has been in existence. As mentioned earlier, Kenton County Schools hosted a tournament during MLK Week and the schools hosted multiple games on MLK Day. (It was called the Kenton County Classic) Was the rule in existence then? Dunno the answer there. If I'm a coach and I know that schools have been allowed to play on MLK Day, not sure how much thought I put into not scheduling a game on this day, especially when you know that your sister schools have been playing on this day. If the rule is new and there were specific communications on the subject then that creates a different set of circumstances. I guess it is possible that the rule was established after the schedule was made.

This policy is also applicable to Boone County Schools. I believe this is why the Cooper/Conner game is being played on Wednesday this week, instead of Tuesday. They can't practice on Sunday, nor can they practice today. This allows them to prepare tomorrow and play the game on Wednesday. Not saying this is right, wrong, or indifferent, but those two teams had the foresight to schedule accordingly.

I bet you a weeks salary that BC girls practiced somewhere on Sunday. They did not have quite the same foresight, scheduling a game on Tuesday!

Edited by jolmstead