Breathitt County

If the class ahead of those guys were beat out in middle school by the current sophomores, then they probably wouldn't help much now.

If the sophomores were as good as they were advertised though, they should be winning a few more games now. Harlan and Paintsville won regional championships with sophomore-dominated teams several years back.

They aren't as good as advertised. THat's the point really, they were over hyped by winning that 8th grade thing. And as for the class ahead of those guys, you would have had a couple of players who would have developed into decent players in high school.

Cut Breathitt some slack. With the age group they have, eventually someone will step up and be "the man" on that team. Breathitt's coach knows basketball, and his the right man for this rebuilding process.

Most agree with you, I think. But, a program as stable as Breathitt has been over the last few years shouldn't have to flounder this badly even when rebuilding. I personally attribute it to the feeder system and the two missed classes of players coming into the high school system. But, I don't thnk the general population looks back that far.

I agree with Flash. Of the original SMS 8th grade group that won the KBA state tournament, I think that all remain except for 1. (I haven't saw C. Jackson with his 8th grade teammates, and come to think of it I don't think that I've saw O. Marshall either) These were big strong fast kids compared to most 8th grade teams, but they haven't grown much since.

Now they are average size, average strength, average speed kids compared to most high school teams- Plus they came into this season lacking varsity experience. After they gain some experience I think that they will be very competitive.

holding back is good for some & adds physically and mentally but doesnt add any more basketball talent that is already present.

middle school success doesnt necessarily mean success as a sophomore in high school. As a senior it may help when they are 19 playing against many 15, 16 & 17 year olds.

In my opinion, when Breathitt started sending all their 7/8th graders to SMS, they really hurt their basketball program. Up until a few years ago, Breathitt had somewhere around 6 or 7 - 7th and 8th grade teams. When they all were sent to SMS, that only gave them one feeder program instead of the 6 or 7 they had previously. I think that has to hurt your program when you go from having that many players to choose from to having only one team of players to pull from. Imagine how many potentially good players probably give up basketball after 6th grade in Breathitt Co.

Bottom Line Coach Hall know the games. He has been one of the tops teams for the past 2 years and one shot away from winning the region at Breathitt against PCC. He works hard it is just a rebuilding year. as for winning the Middle School tournament. It is a great accomplishment nothing to take away from it. But the facts is it is not varsity level. Perry County has 13 Middle Schools I think. Breathitt 1. Those 13 make 1 come high school. Most large counties in the state have multiple feeder schools. It was an accomplishment nothing taken away from that, Coach Doug Noble does a great Job at SMS, but they are to young for a very hard varsity schedule. This will make those kids better.

In my opinion, when Breathitt started sending all their 7/8th graders to SMS, they really hurt their basketball program. Up until a few years ago, Breathitt had somewhere around 6 or 7 - 7th and 8th grade teams. When they all were sent to SMS, that only gave them one feeder program instead of the 6 or 7 they had previously. I think that has to hurt your program when you go from having that many players to choose from to having only one team of players to pull from. Imagine how many potentially good players probably give up basketball after 6th grade in Breathitt Co.

The middle schools were combined about 15 years ago. I disagree that one middle school hurts. I think it actually helps to get kids to play on the same team that otherwise may have had a rivalry against one another.

The middle schools were combined about 15 years ago. I disagree that one middle school hurts. I think it actually helps to get kids to play on the same team that otherwise may have had a rivalry against one another.

1 middle school definitely HURTS. top 5 players play together for 6th, 7th, 8th grade. What happens in high school if one or 2 or 3 quit, move or are kicked off the team. Who replaces them?? you have other players but they dont have the experience.

if you have 13 middle schools thats 13x5=65 players paying at any given time. If 5 quit, you still have 60 that have gotten minutes.

This is the problem with small schools that only have 1 middle school. if players quit the back-up do not have the experience.

Playing together helps but NOT as much as simply Playing!!!! Which many of these middle schoolers arent getting which is MINUTES!!!

1 middle school definitely HURTS. top 5 players play together for 6th, 7th, 8th grade. What happens in high school if one or 2 or 3 quit, move or are kicked off the team. Who replaces them?? you have other players but they dont have the experience.

if you have 13 middle schools thats 13x5=65 players paying at any given time. If 5 quit, you still have 60 that have gotten minutes.

This is the problem with small schools that only have 1 middle school. if players quit the back-up do not have the experience.

Playing together helps but NOT as much as simply Playing!!!! Which many of these middle schoolers arent getting which is MINUTES!!!

The way the middle school teams had been done before the consolidation was no improvement over what they are currently doing. I was at the middle the year before consolidation, and was there when they consolidated. It was a big boost. What they did to make-up for not having as many middle school teams was they now have 5 elementary school teams. They get the kids started at an earlier age.

What has happened to Breathitt County. Two years ago their eighth grade team won the State AAU tournament. Shouldn't they be loaded again?

The middle school hasn't ever been mention negatively unitl situations such as this year occur.

Facts:

1. Breathitt is a football district

2. Consolidation hasn't hurt in the years that breathitt won the 14th region, state f-ball championships,etc...

3. Problem....consistant player development of younger players on the freshmen, jv and varsity teams for them to gain valuable experience and play against better competition.