Harrison County 3 Brossart 2

Mustang

Down Goes Frasier!!!!!

The age-old adage that the most dangerous team in a tournament is the home team proved true on Thursday night as the 21-2-1 Brossart Soccer Juggernaut was upended 3-2 by the host Harrison County Thorobreds in the semi-finals of the 10th Regional Boys Soccer Tournament on the hilltop in Cynthiana.

The Breds drew first blood at the 23:06 mark in the first half when Grant Carr and Kyle Foster attacked Mustang keeper David Paulin 2 on 1 with Carr scoring off of a pass from Foster, giving the Breds a 1-0 advantage. Gunnar Goepper tied things up with 3:38 remaining in the half off of a shot deflected by the Harrison County keeper.

Jordan Frommeyer made it 2-1 favor the Mustangs at the 35:52 mark in the second half, and with the Mustangs taking the lead off of two unanswered goals, it appeared that the Soccer gods were in their heavens and all was right with the world. But the Breds weren't done yet. A Ben Anness goal at the 27:22 mark knotted the game at 2s, and when Brossart Senior Keeper David Paulin was issued a red card, and ejected from the contest the Mustangs were in trouble. An associated point blank penalty kick goal with 19:22 left in the game gave the Breds a 3-2 lead and the Mustangs an ill-feeling that perhaps the end was near. Harrison County did a masterful job of playing keep-away for the remaining time remaining on the clock and the Mustangs failed to mount a serious scoring threat, that is until 22 seconds was left in their season, when a solid shot to the far corner was stopped by Christian Carey the Breds keeper who appeared to fall backwards into the goal enclosure in what would have sent the game to extra-time. However, it was not to be, and the Brossart dream season, came to a sudden, unexpected conclusion.

Harrison County, the 38th District Champions, improve to 13-6-1 and will meet Montgomery County, 3-1 winners over Scott in the first game of the twin-bill, on Saturday evening at 7pm. The Brossart Mustangs close out their season at 21-2-1 and head to basketball season.

How does a goalie get a red card???

Sound like the backup gave them a chance by not giving up a goal except the PK

My sources say he intentionally stepped on a Harrison Co. player and the line judge actually saw it and made the call.

How does a goalie get a red card???

Sound like the backup gave them a chance by not giving up a goal except the PK

Usually a GK red is for a foul that stops a direct goal scoring opportunity. In this case I have no clue what it was for.

My sources say he intentionally stepped on a Harrison Co. player and the line judge actually saw it and made the call.

I hope that is not the case but if that is what really happened that's not a great why to end your High School career. I believe something like this has happened before with this keeper earlier this year or last year?

good luck to Harrison moving on.

Kudos to the line judge for making the call. I saw the goalie stomp Ben Annis and it was definately the right call. Just another act of poor sportsmanship and KHSAA officials need to put an end to this type of behavior. Brossart has a reputation for that type of behavior and it's a shame because I know that's not representation of the entire student body. Not sure if Annis is going to be able to play in the championship due to a rib problem.