Bottom line ...

Would Fairview have played Ashland tougher than Raceland did?

Would Fairview beat Simon Kenton or Holmes?

If you can present some compelling evidence that they would, they by all means, I'll be happy to advocate a higher ranking for Fairview.

I'm not holding my breath.

When teams get to the postseason, opponents don't care if you're unbeaten against a bunch of softies. How many times have we seen teams with gaudy records against soft schedules make a quick exit in the playoffs?

Your right, I can't predict the future, but I do know facts. Fairview has been to the regional championship game the past two years, so there goes the soft schedule theory.

Your right, I can't predict the future, but I do know facts. Fairview has been to the regional championship game the past two years, so there goes the soft schedule theory.
Which doesn't necessarily have a whole lot of bearing on what happens in 2012.

Seriously, though, since we're playing the game ... who is the best team Fairview has beaten the last two seasons?

Which doesn't necessarily have a whole lot of bearing on what happens in 2012.

Seriously, though, since we're playing the game ... who is the best team Fairview has beaten the last two seasons?

Your the one that said teams with soft schedule exit playoffs quick, I just stated a fact. Other than fairview for the past 2 seasons, no one in this area was went that far in the playoffs.

I tend to agree that Fairview should be ahead of Raceland. They've pretty much had there way with them the last 2 years, beating them by an average score of 38 to 14. I like the fact that Raceland challenges themselves by playing some better competition, but, really, getting beat as bad as they did doesn't make me choose them over a team that's had there number the last 2 years, playing this same type schedule.. Fairview was 11-2 in 2010 and 12-1 in 2011 and that's better than Racelands last 2 yrs, plus the head to head. Now, it's very possible, Raceland is stronger than they've been the last few years and quite possibly, Fairview is down a little from past years, but, when you look at the past 2 years schedules for both teams and things are pretty much on par to what they have been and even if Raceland is better and Fairview down a little, have they narrowed the gap by 3+ scores a game. I'd just tend to give Fairview the benefit of the doubt, at this point.

Just my two cents but I think strength of schedule does have something to do with it. If you are undefeated against a weak schedule it is hard to gauge how good a team is. Plus if you look at like opponents Raceland beat Fleming in a game like scrimmage and beat East Carterr by much larger margins then did Fairview. That coupled with what Fairview lost to graduation and the fact that Raceland returned a lot of starters makes a strong argument for Raceland to be ranked higher.

Your the one that said teams with soft schedule exit playoffs quick, I just stated a fact. Other than fairview for the past 2 seasons, no one in this area was went that far in the playoffs.
I didn't make it as a blanket statement ... but we've seen it happen a lot over the years.

Again, who is the best team Fairview has beaten recently?

I didn't make it as a blanket statement ... but we've seen it happen a lot over the years.

Again, who is the best team Fairview has beaten recently?

Probley Raceland. What does it matter if you play bigger schools when you get murdered. Raceland had a streak of beating Ashland, but the last couple of games Raceland was best by 3-4 touchdowns. Just a example.

Last night's win over Holy Cross should remove any doubt about Beechwood at #4. Not that Holy Cross is any kind of top 10 team in 2A at this time but it was an impressive performance by the Tigers.

On the strength of schedule issues that has been discussed, IMO strength of schedule by itself is not enough. You have to look at how teams play against that schedule. Getting dominated by a 4A-6A team wins you no favor IMO. Playing a good 4A-6A team down to the wire, that says something to me even if you lose.

Probley Raceland. What does it matter if you play bigger schools when you get murdered. Raceland had a streak of beating Ashland, but the last couple of games Raceland was best by 3-4 touchdowns. Just a example.
Lots of teams have played in regional championships the last two years ... bottom line, the soft schedules probably did little to prepare Fairview to get much farther than that.

And what did Racelands "tougher schedule" do for them????
I haven't mentioned Raceland, dude.

Bottom line ... if Fairview had played a tougher schedule in 2010 and 2011, maybe they find a way to get over the hump in the regional semifinals. The Eagles haven't had too many wins over teams with winning records the last two years.

I understand that Fairview is a tiny school and shouldn't be expected to play the likes of Ashland and Johnson Central, and I know they have some local and regional rivals that simply haven't fielded very good teams the last few years.

But if you know you have a shot to make some noise in the postseason, it doesn't hurt to schedule a toughie somewhere.

In any case, these are the facts in 2012: the three teams Fairview has beaten are a combined 2-10, and Raceland beat their one common opponent by a considerably bigger margin. That might explain why the Rams are rated higher right now.

Fairview will get their chance.