Your favorite scenes from tv shows you enjoyed!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny Carson's farewell speech from The Tonight Show

I can't find a video, but in his farewell speech, Carson gave an emotional, final send-off with tears in his eyes saying,

“And so it has come to this. I am one of the lucky people in the world; I found something I always wanted to do, and I have enjoyed every single minute of it. I want to thank the people who've shared this stage with me for 30 years, Mr. Ed McMahon, Mr. Doc Severinsen, and the people watching. I can only tell you that it has been an honor and a privilege to come into your homes all these years and entertain you. And I hope when I find something that I want to do, and I think you would like, and come back, that you'll be as gracious in inviting me into your home as you have been. I bid you a very heartfelt good night.”

Johnny was a one of a kind, I miss him.

This is another one that sticks in my mind. Every once-in-a-while when I'm watching Conan it will still pop back into my head. It's his first show back following the September 11th attacks. He walked out without any music playing, and delivered this monologue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbRErvSjMTk

...I so felt that I needed help, that I needed somebody or I needed some thing to help me that I went across the street to St. Patrick's Cathedral, and I sat there for a little bit. And I'm very glad I did, and it has nothing to do with what my religion is, or what anybody's religion is, it has nothing to do with any of that. I sat in there in this beautiful, beautiful building - and I don't care what faith you are, I don't care what you believe, it's just this beautiful building, and it made me realize that as much as we've lost this week, here I'm sitting in this amazing structure...this city has still has so much. It's an amazing city. I'm not from here, I'm from Boston. I grew up fearing this city. I grew up frankly hating this city, and I've been here for 8 years, and I sat here and I realized that we've lost so much. And again I'm not going to attempt to tell you how much New York has lost, but sitting there, I thought this is such a beautiful place. We still have so much and we have to thank God - and by I mean, "God" I mean whatever that means to you - we just have to thank God for what we still have and what we can still do. I also know that yet I say anything else tonight, I know that we have a young audience that watches us and I just know that from over the years the people who've come up to me and talk to me about the show and express enthusiasm there are a lot of young people watching, and there's a lot of cynicism among young people. And if I could say anything tonight, to any of the people that watch our little show, at 12:30 at night, who are young, I would ask you not to be cynical. I would ask you to accept that as horrible and as senseless as this thing is, that there is goodness in people, that collectively we're an amazing country, that we've done a lot.