2012 London Summer Olympics

TheDeuce

Ye Swiwen...final 50m time in the 200IM final faster than Ryan Lochte in the same exact event...16 year old girl...makes perfect sense to me

Chinese Swimmer Gets Another Gold amid Doping Suspicions | Olympics | TIME.com

Ye has never failed a drug test, and Chinese supporters grumbled about the drug suspicions swirling around the young swimmer. “We never questioned Michael Phelps when he bagged eight gold medals in Beijing,” said Jiang Zhixue, a Chinese antidoping official, according to China’s state-run Xinhua news agency. “I think it is not proper to single out Chinese swimmers once they produce good results.” Ye’s father, Ye Qingsong, was quoted by China’s Tencent website, defending his daughter. “I saw a lot of Western media expressing their doubts about her, but Western media have always been very arrogant,” he said. “They always doubt the Chinese people. The best answer is data, tests. The Chinese national swimming team has always been given ‘special’ care internationally. I remember sometimes they have to do six or seven tests. So I think as long as there is data and there are tests, we don’t need to say anything more.”

But China’s history is not inspiring when it comes to swimming and drugs. In the 1990s, the country’s swimmers came out of nowhere to break world records and grab golds. Just as predictably, the drug busts followed. In one particularly telling incident, Chinese swimmers captured 12 gold medals at the 1994 Asian Games. But a surprise drug test then caught seven of those Chinese swimmers. At the 1998 world championships, a Chinese swimmer was stopped at an Australian airport carrying vials of human growth hormone.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't women's gymnastics normally the highest-rated night of the Olympics? I wonder how that stacks up with the same event during previous Olympics.

Has to be. No clue.

The point is that NBC isn't hurting in ratings despite being delayed.

Yes :D

Incorrect. I may have posted a link that turned out to be proven wrong but I never just make up stuff. I'm not even smart enough to make a guess as to what is "really good."

BTW Sunday was 21.7.

Saturday was 412. OK I made that one up.

Incorrect. I may have posted a link that turned out to be proven wrong but I never just make up stuff. I'm not even smart enough to make a guess as to what is "really good."

BTW Sunday was 21.7.

Saturday was 412. OK I made that one up.

I was not saying your info (Darren Rovell's) was wrong. It was more of "Can you believe what you just saw?" type reaction. It was a rhetorical reaction of shock if there even exists such a thing.

I get a kick out of the people complaining about others tweeting results from the Olympics.

I get a kick out of the people complaining about others tweeting results from the Olympics.

My daughter (22) and I were watching the gymnastics last night even though we both knew the US would win. In talking about the issue of delayed broadcast vs Twitter etc I mentioned that at least for gymnastics the avg viewer is female and over 40 which means they're less likely to be online constantly. She doubted me. I yelled into my wife in another room "Who won the team gymnastics today?" She had no clue. Case closed.

My daughter (22) and I were watching the gymnastics last night even though we both knew the US would win. In talking about the issue of delayed broadcast vs Twitter etc I mentioned that at least for gymnastics the avg viewer is female and over 40 which means they're less likely to be online constantly. She doubted me. I yelled into my wife in another room "Who won the team gymnastics today?" She had no clue. Case closed.

Unless you watch ESPN or in to social media, which a lot of the described demographic may not be, you really have no clue. NBC does a good job because if they show events live, that gives others the right to show highlights.

NBC does a good job because if they show events live, that gives others the right to show highlights.

I wasn't aware of that fact until yesterday. I fully understand NBC's position.

Good news is the next summer games are in the Central time zone ie live TV.

I wasn't aware of that fact until yesterday. I fully understand NBC's position.

Good news is the next summer games are in the Central time zone ie live TV.

The fact that the next summer games and the next World Cup will both take place at a reasonable time makes me very happy.