Tough Mudder Training

mexitucky

Since the race is quickly arriving in Maysville, I figured I would start this to bounce training ideas off of members here doing it.

From doing the one earlier this year, I am going to focus on grip strength, since the only two obstacles that I couldn't finish were the rings and the monkey bars. My hands were so cold, they wouldn't hold anything. However other people did it, so...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, just started doing Insanity again. Plan on doing that and doing some exhausting 2-3 hour workouts on saturdays. One of the best ones that I have is doing Insanity's Upper Body Weight Training and in between each set running half mile sprints. It will get you! There is 12 sets.

I'm doing the Mud Ninja Sat. I coach football too. One of the best things I've had receivers do in the past for grip is to do towel pull ups. Basically just throw a towel over a pull up bar then do your pull ups holding the towel on each end. I've seen pitchers like Clemmens do the hand in the barrel of corn thing. Never done it but it's supposed to be good. Might find it on youtube or something.

For grip work...

heavy farmers walk

quick hang cleans for reps (these are better if you have bumper plates because your grip will go)

Pull ups

Plate pinches (not sure what the name actually is, this is what I call them)

I'm going to have to take a different route. Most of the problems that I had were w/ extremely cold hands and the monkey bars and rings. I guess that I'll just have to stick my hands in ice water and do pullups.

I'm going to have to take a different route. Most of the problems that I had were w/ extremely cold hands and the monkey bars and rings. I guess that I'll just have to stick my hands in ice water and do pullups.

Could luck. Not sure there's anything you can do to get use to that.

Yeah, I'm not real sure that there is a whole lot that you can do. I do know that when you do get out of some of those ice pools you are in some weird state of numbness. I know if I keep my fingers moving throughout (while running) it helps a bit.

Yeah, I'm not real sure that there is a whole lot that you can do. I do know that when you do get out of some of those ice pools you are in some weird state of numbness. I know if I keep my fingers moving throughout (while running) it helps a bit.

There was nothing I could do in April due to getting in and out of the water into 50 degree temps, or I thought. Not many, but a few of the guys that I saw made it. The vast majority fell. I just have to train for that loss of grip, I want to be in that minority.

There was nothing I could do in April due to getting in and out of the water into 50 degree temps, or I thought. Not many, but a few of the guys that I saw made it. The vast majority fell. I just have to train for that loss of grip, I want to be in that minority.

I'm with ya. What time and day are you guys doing it?

We are signed up for the Saturday @ 9:00 start time.

I'm with ya. What time and day are you guys doing it?

We are signed up for the Saturday @ 9:00 start time.

Right now, my team has crapped out on me. I have one other guy in. I'm looking at whatever the earliest start is on Saturday. We did that last time and it worked out well. I felt bad for those guys starting at 1pm due to all of the rain that we got during it. That course was a complete mess by then, I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Week 3 started yesterday. I did a 3.5 mile trail run on Sunday and it was AWFUL. Insanity and lifting on T, Insanity on W, Lift and run 2 miles (bumps up to 2.5 next week) on Thurs. off Friday, Lift and Insanity on Saturday, long run (this week 4 miles) on Sunday. I really like incorporating Insanity. Great suggestion Lucky.

• 1 month later...
Week 3 started yesterday. I did a 3.5 mile trail run on Sunday and it was AWFUL. Insanity and lifting on T, Insanity on W, Lift and run 2 miles (bumps up to 2.5 next week) on Thurs. off Friday, Lift and Insanity on Saturday, long run (this week 4 miles) on Sunday. I really like incorporating Insanity. Great suggestion Lucky.

Alright, One month out. Who's doing it? Are you ready now? What are you doing to get yourself ready?

Pretty much been doing Insanity videos and going on runs. Had a pretty miserable sinus infection about 2 weeks ago and that set me back a bit. Inbetween that time I ran 9 miles twice. The first time I did it was awful (struggled with the sinus infection / endurance). But still finished in 1 hr 15 mins.

I can't wait to get after it here in the last month. Remember to scale your workouts back to about half to 2/3 in the final week.