Kentucky v. Kent State Game 4 of the Regionals

HT721

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

" I've said on numerous occasions they made a decision that they wanted to have a better experience and I was pleased, motivated, inspired by them all year," Henderson said. "I think Luke Maile and Michael Williams were at the core of that."

"This is a collection of guys," Maile said. "There's leadership all over the place on this team. I've said that since probably November. There's just a lot of good leadership by example and vocally and I couldn't be more proud to have my name next to the guys I played with this year."

Near misses spell end to historic season - Kentucky Wildcats

Here's the WKYT report. You can't see it well but people who looked closely at the film said the ball never left the stadium as required. It hit the fence and bounced back in. Should have been in play.

Go to the Sunday 11:00 news.

WKYT - Sports

It's disappointing that they missed the call, but I'm willing to give them a pass given that even on video it's all but impossible to tell what happened in real time. I think those who are definitive on the play have noted that they had to slow it down frame by frame to tell what happened. Live, it seems easy to believe it could have hit a seat and caromed back in.

The umpire who made the call (Ken Durham) had, in Kentucky's opinion, blown two calls already that went against UK. One was on a pick-off play in the third where J.T. Riddle was called out, and a safe call at first in the top of the sixth on what they thought was going to be a double play. That's why Henderson never came out to argue, because “My first initial thought was he couldn't have missed three plays.... The law of averages is staggering for that to happen so I just kind of assumed he got it right."

It'd be nice if they could get postseason instant replay for HRs the way the MLB has for all games, but of course, they'd have to get TV crews to all the games in the first place. I saw that WKYT film called the "Zapruder film" of the incident since there were absolutely no other videos of the play, and you had to slow it down to frame by frame to know what happened.

It's disappointing that they missed the call, but I'm willing to give them a pass given that even on video it's all but impossible to tell what happened in real time. I think those who are definitive on the play have noted that they had to slow it down frame by frame to tell what happened. Live, it seems easy to believe it could have hit a seat and caromed back in.

The umpire who made the call (Ken Durham) had, in Kentucky's opinion, blown two calls already that went against UK. One was on a pick-off play in the third where J.T. Riddle was called out, and a safe call at first in the top of the sixth on what they thought was going to be a double play. That's why Henderson never came out to argue, because “My first initial thought was he couldn't have missed three plays.... The law of averages is staggering for that to happen so I just kind of assumed he got it right."

It'd be nice if they could get postseason instant replay for HRs the way the MLB has for all games, but of course, they'd have to get TV crews to all the games in the first place. I saw that WKYT film called the "Zapruder film" of the incident since there were absolutely no other videos of the play, and you had to slow it down to frame by frame to know what happened.

I just watched it in real time on the news, pretty obvious it was not a HR. The ump should have asked for help, but he sold his call so well that the UK staff did not protest.:confused:

You hate to see a call ultimately decide the game.