Ranking The 10th Region

With the postseason just a few days away, how would everyone rank the teams from the 10th? I'm going to give it a shot, but there are others who have seen much more than I have. My top five would be as follows:

1. Montgomery County- They did have a pair of regional losses at the end of April--a home loss to Bourbon County (5-0) & a road defeat at the hands of Harrison County (3-2). I considered both of those teams for this top spot, but I'm sticking with the Lady Indians.

2. Bourbon County- Four regional losses, with half of them coming on the road (Bracken County 3-2 & Harrison County 6-2) & the other half at home (Montgomery County 3-2 & George Rogers Clark 5-3). To the Lady Colonels credit, they have also beaten these four teams who have handed them losses--most recently tonight's 13-3 shellacking of Harrison County (if the KHSAA scoreboard is accurate, of course).

3. Harrison County- Prior to tonight's home loss to Bourbon County, I would have ranked the Fillies at #2. Still, an argument can be made that Harrison County has been the 10th's most consistent team, having been undefeated in the region until this loss to Bourbon. Fortunately for the Fillies, they don't have to play in the powerhouse 40th District, as do the two teams above & the one directly below them.

4. George Rogers Clark- It's been a down year for the Lady Cards--by their standards, at least. They've played the fewest 10th Region games of any of the top teams, sporting a 3-4 record within the region--twice losing to Montgomery, once to Bourbon & once to Nicholas. GRC will have a battle on their hands with Bourbon County in 40th District's opening round. GRC defeated Bourbon County 5-3 on the road & fell 12-2 at home a little over two weeks later.

5. Nicholas County- The #5 spot was more difficult to decide than the top two spots. I went back and forth--Nicholas & Bracken, Bracken & Nicholas, Nicholas & Bracken, etc. The Lady Jackets started the season sizzling, winning their first sixteen games. Since that time, however, Barry Bretz's squad has gone 7-7, including regional losses to Harrison County (twice), Bourbon County, Bracken County, & a surprise defeat @ Mason County. Of course, Bracken's Lady Bears haven't fared much better, going 5-9 during the same time span. So ultimately, my decision came down to this: I saw these two teams play earlier in the year & thought Nicholas County had more talent. Maybe not the best barometer, but that's going to have to do for now.

So there's my two cents. How about you?

With the postseason just a few days away, how would everyone rank the teams from the 10th? I'm going to give it a shot, but there are others who have seen much more than I have. My top five would be as follows:

1. Montgomery County- They did have a pair of regional losses at the end of April--a home loss to Bourbon County (5-0) & a road defeat at the hands of Harrison County (3-2). I considered both of those teams for this top spot, but I'm sticking with the Lady Indians.

2. Bourbon County- Four regional losses, with half of them coming on the road (Bracken County 3-2 & Harrison County 6-2) & the other half at home (Montgomery County 3-2 & George Rogers Clark 5-3). To the Lady Colonels credit, they have also beaten these four teams who have handed them losses--most recently tonight's 13-3 shellacking of Harrison County (if the KHSAA scoreboard is accurate, of course).

3. Harrison County- Prior to tonight's home loss to Bourbon County, I would have ranked the Fillies at #2. Still, an argument can be made that Harrison County has been the 10th's most consistent team, having been undefeated in the region until this loss to Bourbon. Fortunately for the Fillies, they don't have to play in the powerhouse 40th District, as do the two teams above & the one directly below them.

4. George Rogers Clark- It's been a down year for the Lady Cards--by their standards, at least. They've played the fewest 10th Region games of any of the top teams, sporting a 3-4 record within the region--twice losing to Montgomery, once to Bourbon & once to Nicholas. GRC will have a battle on their hands with Bourbon County in 40th District's opening round. GRC defeated Bourbon County 5-3 on the road & fell 12-2 at home a little over two weeks later.

5. Nicholas County- The #5 spot was more difficult to decide than the top two spots. I went back and forth--Nicholas & Bracken, Bracken & Nicholas, Nicholas & Bracken, etc. The Lady Jackets started the season sizzling, winning their first sixteen games. Since that time, however, Barry Bretz's squad has gone 7-7, including regional losses to Harrison County (twice), Bourbon County, Bracken County, & a surprise defeat @ Mason County. Of course, Bracken's Lady Bears haven't fared much better, going 5-9 during the same time span. So ultimately, my decision came down to this: I saw these two teams play earlier in the year & thought Nicholas County had more talent. Maybe not the best barometer, but that's going to have to do for now.

I would agree for the most part but dont count Bracken or Brossart out . Bracken or Brossart could surprise any of your top 5. It will be a fun region to watch for sure !

The regional draw means more this year than it has in a while. I agree with the Dawg...Bracken or Brossart could jump up and take anyone of those 5 out. With that said, I'll still be surprised if the title leaves the 40th district.

Bourbon would appear to have the greater ability to hit for power than any of the others listed. Harrison hits well everywhere and defensively is very solid. Montgomery County has some great athletes and is very solid, but appears to be young. I'm taking Bourbon / Harrison 1-2......everyone else is hoping for somebody to fall down.....no disrespect to any of the other teams, they are just too young, not as strong on the big hitters and ultimately make too many mistakes in the field. Good luck to everyone in the next couple weeks.

I am agreeing with you, I don't know the teams but you are pretty detailed so looks good to me.

Which region is stronger the 9th or the 10th? I would not have Bracken and Brossart in the 9th's top 5 but they would be close.

I would agree for the most part but dont count Bracken or Brossart out . Bracken or Brossart could surprise any of your top 5. It will be a fun region to watch for sure !

Bracken or Brossart could jump up and take anyone of those 5 out.

No question Bracken can beat some of the top five, since they've already beaten Bourbon County once & Nicholas County once. Brossart, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. If you take these teams--Montgomery, GRC, Bourbon, Harrison, Nicholas, & Bracken--and you look at what Brossart has done against those teams, you'll see that their record against them is 0-5 (two losses to Nicholas, one to Bracken, one to Harrison & one to Bourbon). If you totaled up the runs for those five games, Brossart loses 52-4.

You can take any of these top 5 teams and look at their losses and wins and add up their scores and still be dumbfounded by the next game they play. Consistency is the key and none of these teams have been that. With that saying, I say its anyones game.

You can take any of these top 5 teams and look at their losses and wins and add up their scores and still be dumbfounded by the next game they play. Consistency is the key and none of these teams have been that. With that saying, I say its anyones game.

Perhaps. I still think Brossart's losses to the aforementioned teams, sans Nicholas County, have been ugly (12-0 to Bracken, 16-0 to Harrison & 15-0 to Bourbon). But that's just my observation & they certainly have the opportunity to prove me wrong in the postseason.

Any upsets can happen, but I'm thinking the three teams most capable of stringing together three regional tournament wins are Montgomery, Bourbon & Harrison. Even then, though, Bourbon has to beat GRC just to advance to the region. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Nicholas looked like a totally different team against Mason (I only saw some of the game) and against Bracken than they did in the Class A.

Harrison. That's who I think will win the 10th region; however, the slaughter from Bourbon threw me for a loop---never saw that coming. Despite that, I still think Harrison will win it all.

Every team in the region is beatable on any given day, so who really knows LOL---nobody is stand-out head and shoulders above the rest spectacular---so it's anybody's to win. Sometimes it's a matter of who wants it more...not who has the most talent.

Nicholas looked like a totally different team against Mason (I only saw some of the game) and against Bracken than they did in the Class A.

What were the most noticeable differences you saw in the Lady Jackets?

Agree everyone is beatable. But I do think some teams are better built to win three games in a row in regional play.

What were the most noticeable differences you saw in the Lady Jackets?

Agree everyone is beatable. But I do think some teams are better built to win three games in a row in regional play.

Granted, when we played Nicholas in the Class A, we had a terrible game with multiple fielding errors and we couldn't put anything together offensively...but Nicholas was really tough...fielding everything, hitting, pitching was pretty good.

The last two times I've seen them, they had a few fielding errors(catcher even...and she's a beast), didn't hit well (now in Bourbon's tourney I think they did). We hit their pitcher alot better this time. I don't know if it seemed slower or she struggled with spots, but Coach Bretz switched pitchers this time after a few innings.

I understand what you mean about three games in a row. I think about our own Lady Bears with only one primary varsity pitcher. That makes it tough.

No question Bracken can beat some of the top five, since they've already beaten Bourbon County once & Nicholas County once. Brossart, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. If you take these teams--Montgomery, GRC, Bourbon, Harrison, Nicholas, & Bracken--and you look at what Brossart has done against those teams, you'll see that their record against them is 0-5 (two losses to Nicholas, one to Bracken, one to Harrison & one to Bourbon). If you totaled up the runs for those five games, Brossart loses 52-4.

I'm sure these were all unearned runs. :lol: :deadhorse: