Chapman to the bullpen

Dominant starting pitcher.

That's all I needed to read.

It was an easy decision when the bullpen was stocked with guys like Madson, Marshall, Bray, Masset & Ondrusek. Now that two are on the DL, it becomes somewhat debatable. But, in my mind, it's STILL an easy decision.

Long-term, he may wind up being a reliever. The harsh reality is that the Reds can only afford him for 4 more years (or however long is left on his contract). The Reds HAVE to at least TRY to make him into a starter.

Starters frequently become very good relievers. You rarely see a good reliever become a quality starter, much less a top-flight starter.

Really, there's only one case study of a guy of Chapman's ilk, his name is Randy Johnson, or at least that's who I would compare him to. And if he can do that, well we would be stupid to not embrace that obviously. I just think that if a guy puts that much torque on that apparatus, it's gonna break down. I think there's way less stress a singular inning a day. I surely understand the desire to start him. I'm just terribly skeptical about his long term success. That's my only issue.

Really, there's only one case study of a guy of Chapman's ilk, his name is Randy Johnson, or at least that's who I would compare him to. And if he can do that, well we would be stupid to not embrace that obviously. I just think that if a guy puts that much torque on that apparatus, it's gonna break down. I think there's way less stress a singular inning a day. I surely understand the desire to start him. I'm just terribly skeptical about his long term success. That's my only issue.

I'm concerned that he'll sustain an injury, but his throwing motion seems to have improved some since he's been with the Reds.

Like I've said multiple times on here, if Chapman is a starter I think he'll spend some time on the DL. Hopefully he'll be able to come off of the DL & contribute, probably out of the bullpen. I just think the Reds HAVE to make him a starter, sooner rather than later, to maximize his time in Cincinnati. If they don't, they would have been better off spending the money elsewhere.

Even though he has done good out of the bullpen this year. I still think it was the wrong move. They should have had him in the starting rotation to start this year, and even if they were not going to have him the starting rotation. Then send him to triple A so he could keep starting, now putting him in the bullpen will keep him from starting at all this year, if he is in the bullpen for long.

I do think this move shows that Dusty does get the final call when it comes to how he will use his players. Have to think Jocketty and ownership would rather him start too.

Even though he has done good out of the bullpen this year. I still think it was the wrong move. They should have had him in the starting rotation to start this year, and even if they were not going to have him the starting rotation. Then send him to triple A so he could keep starting, now putting him in the bullpen will keep him from starting at all this year, if he is in the bullpen for long.

I do think this move shows that Dusty does get the final call when it comes to how he will use his players. Have to think Jocketty and ownership would rather him start too.

Not a chance. If Jocketty and Castellini want him in the rotation, he'll be in the rotation.

From Jonah Keri:

Two out of three against Miami is no mean feat, especially with Mat Latos and Bronson Arroyo both getting hit hard. Which makes Dusty Baker's refusal to slot Aroldis Chapman into the rotation all the more frustrating. Yes, you'll get games like Sunday's, where the lefty flamethrower will shut down the opposition for two innings and win the game for his team. But with a weapon like Chapman, are 70 of sometimes high-leverage, sometimes not innings a better use of his talents than 30 starts? The Reds are one of many National League teams that could end the season in that 85- to 90-win range. Giving the gifted if erratic Chapman a chance to greatly improve the rotation is a chance Baker needs to take

I think the decision was solely based on how the roster aligned with the injuries. No more, no less.

I think you're right. And I think / hope that Chapman moves back into the rotation as soon as Masset & Bray are ready to shoulder the load in the bullpen.

Not a chance. If Jocketty and Castellini want him in the rotation, he'll be in the rotation.

:thumb: Chapman will be here for the next 4 seasons. Dusty may not...