End of the Sweet 16

NEXT

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Prop 20 passing this is just the beginning of the end for the Sweet 16, which is the greatest athletic accomplishment there is in High School sport.

Shouldn't this thread be named "End of the Sweet 16 As We Know It"? Surely KHSAA can find at least 16 public schools to play in an end of season tournament!!!

DAVE

Shouldn't this thread be named "End of the Sweet 16 As We Know It"? Surely KHSAA can find at least 16 public schools to play in an end of season tournament!!!

DAVE

Just opening the door to the class system. There will now be numerous 3 teams districts ans the re-alignment we just went through is useless.

With Prop 20 passing this is just the beginning of the end for the Sweet 16, which is the greatest athletic accomplishment there is in High School sport.

Yes, it is.

Assuming it's ratified by both the Board of Education and the General Assembly, the whole alignment will have to be overhauled. And you will not like the results, kiddies.

Eventually, the Sweet 16 will be a quartet of Final Fours -- one in each class.

Just opening the door to the class system. There will now be numerous 3 teams districts ans the re-alignment we just went through is useless.

Dozens of three-team districts across the state (gee, it's a good thing they changed the playoff format, huh?). Louisville will be one region, not two, so there's still no chance for another public school to break past the Male-Manual duet.

People also said it would never pass this far either and I was one of them. Remember, would the board of controls and the people they reprpesent go against the majority? Will be some politicing going on and should be interesting.

Yes, it is.

Assuming it's ratified by both the Board of Education and the General Assembly, the whole alignment will have to be overhauled. And you will not like the results, kiddies.

Eventually, the Sweet 16 will be a quartet of Final Fours -- one in each class.

Dozens of three-team districts across the state (gee, it's a good thing they changed the playoff format, huh?). Louisville will be one region, not two, so there's still no chance for another public school to break past the Male-Manual duet.

Ballard and J-Town have no shot, huh?

I went through this earlier on Tom's thread, but why can't you have 16 regional tournaments for the public schools and send the 16 winners to Rupp?

All the regions would be below 16 teams each, so you have first-round games at various sites on Monday to get down to the eight-team field you have now in each tournament. You have the quarterfinals on Wednesday and Thursday, the semifinals on Friday and the finals on Saturday. You have the girls tournament one week and the boys the other.

The private schools would have a separate tournament, I suppose.

I went through this earlier on Tom's thread, but why can't you have 16 regional tournaments for the public schools and send the 16 winners to Rupp?

You could, but how much money will a second-class tournament make? Kentucky as a whole loves basketball, but they want to see the best of the best. Some years that may mean watching 16 public schools, and other years it may mean watching 12 publics & 4 privates. And, sometimes it may mean watching 16 private schools; however, with Prop 20, it assures 16 public schools and I can almost guarentee you that year in and year out, those schools will not be the true regional champion.

How many private schools were in the Sweet 16 last year?

I think it would impossible to have 16 private schools make the Sweet 16. I'm guessing it's at least usually 75 percent public schools.