Alabama and Georgia tornadoes

nWo

The 23 deaths reported on Sunday marked what would be deadliest day for tornadoes in the state since the deadly Tuscaloosa-Birmingham tornado that killed more than 200 people in 2011.

Several people were transported to East Alabama Medical Center with serious injuries, Jones said. Authorities were prioritizing search and rescue efforts on Sunday evening, but were hampered by the dwindling light, he said.

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey extended the state of emergency that had been issued last month statewide due to tornadoes and severe weather.

Alabama tornadoes touch down leaving at least 23 people dead - CNN

I randomly opened my radar app yesterday afternoon and saw all the tornado warnings in Alabama and started following along. Terrible day in that part of the country. The advancements in weather technology and warning systems have been extraordinary, but unfortunately we still have days like this.

The report is they only had a 5-minute warning before the tornado hit.

I believe it. I saw one radar loop of the relative velocity of one storm... The tornado spun up just before it got to Cairo, AL, delivered a direct hit to that town, then dissipated shortly after. Scary stuff.

The report is they only had a 5-minute warning before the tornado hit.

My daughter (mini-doomette) and her family live in Auburn, roughly 10 minutes from where the tornado touched down. She said there was no warning where she was, or they didn't hear it, so they were not in a protected area. Since then, she has loaded an app on her phone to provide warnings. It is a scary situation.

Warning systems are still in a transition phase. Some places have "upgraded" warning systems, where sirens will only sound if you're within the warning polygon. Meaning, you could be in the same county as a tornado that is 10 miles to your south, but if you aren't in the warning polygon, no sirens will go off. Those polygons are issued based on the current and projected direction of the storms. Older systems, however, will sound county-wide if any part of the county is under a warning.

Also something to keep in mind, tornado sirens aren't designed to be heard indoors. They are only meant to warn those outside. You should always have another means of being warned. Most smart phones will alert you if you're within a warning polygon, similar to how Amber Alerts are issued.

My daughter (mini-doomette) and her family live in Auburn, roughly 10 minutes from where the tornado touched down. She said there was no warning where she was, or they didn't hear it, so they were not in a protected area. Since then, she has loaded an app on her phone to provide warnings. It is a scary situation.

Is this Auburn, AL?

Yes.

Let her know to keep an eye out on the weather for Saturday. May see some more severe weather in her area. For now it looks like they'll be okay. I'll be watching it.

AL_swody2.png

Let her know to keep an eye out on the weather for Saturday. May see some more severe weather in her area. For now it looks like they'll be okay. I'll be watching it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68164[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the heads up!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68164[/ATTACH]

One of the other mini-doomers and family are in Huntsville, so I will advise them as well.

One of the other mini-doomers and family are in Huntsville, so I will advise them as well.

Good :thumb: I'm going to go over the data after the afternoon release. I'll post an update later this evening.