KHSAA Board Of Control Votes In New Football Playoff Format

Voting will be this afternoon.

The proposed new format will do away with cross-bracketing. Instead, they would opt to have the first two rounds consist of opponents within districts going head-to-head, and then going to seeded system for rounds 3 and 4. The seeding would be based on a Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) system. This system would be based primarily on strength of schedule rather than margin of victory.

More information on RPI: Kentucky School Board Association | FAQs about the Colorado High School Activities Association's RPI system

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate any computerized component in high school athletics.

Well, this is a set formula....granted, the formula will obviously be worked through by a computer.

The long and short of it, seeding is either done by experts, or by formula. This version of the playoff seeding would be by formula in order to remove any cries of foul play on a human judgment call.

It's only computers doing simple math. I'm not sure what the problem would be?

Maybe I didn't word it correctly. RPI would be great if everyone played the same or at least a very similar schedule. Using a formula to determine strength of a team is flawed. It is based heavily on your opponents record. If you are in a weak district with 3 or 4 weak teams on your schedule, your RPI will take a huge hit. You have to play those teams, so them sucking in a season can pull you down with them.

In the end it gets played out on the field but there will be some teams that get screwed when it come to getting seeded.

So District rivals play each other right out of the gate in the playoffs?

Why play at all in the regular season if you have to turn right around and play them again in Round 1 and 2?

I wonder how often we'll see teams play in back to back weeks?

Maybe I didn't word it correctly. RPI would be great if everyone played the same or at least a very similar schedule. Using a formula to determine strength of a team is flawed. It is based heavily on your opponents record. If you are in a weak district with 3 or 4 weak teams on your schedule, your RPI will take a huge hit. You have to play those teams, so them sucking in a season can pull you down with them.

In the end it gets played out on the field but there will be some teams that get screwed when it come to getting seeded.

But if you play in a weaker district, it goes without saying you haven't been tested as much as a team who plays in a tougher district. Why should a team automatically get rewarded for padding stats against inferior opponents, just because they have a good record?

Well, this is a set formula....granted, the formula will obviously be worked through by a computer.

The long and short of it, seeding is either done by experts, or by formula. This version of the playoff seeding would be by formula in order to remove any cries of foul play on a human judgment call.

Why does seeding have to be done at all? It doesn't!

But if you play in a weaker district, it goes without saying you haven't been tested as much as a team who plays in a tougher district. Why should a team automatically get rewarded for padding stats against inferior opponents, just because they have a good record?

You could play a strong out of district schedule and still get penalized due to a horrible district.