Best Kept Secret - Bellarmine

Tigercat

Bellarmine is the best kept secret in Kentucky, due primarily to the CJ. Number One ranked in Division II for past 2 weeks. 9-0 record. Shooting over 57% from the field, leading the nation. CJ can't do an article on them!

Tell your friends to go subscribe. You'll be amazed what the C-J editorial staff could do with a real budget and more than a handful of writers.

Tell your friends to go subscribe. You'll be amazed what the C-J editorial staff could do with a real budget and more than a handful of writers.

You are spot-on, and it is very much a Yogi Berra-ism when it comes to Newspapers: on one hand, "no one reads them", on the other hand, "XYZ doesn't get enough coverage." Which is it, no one reads it, or YOU (not Getslow, in particular) DO read it and you're aggravated at their lack of coverage because they bring in about 25% of the revenue they did 20 years ago?

20 years ago, in a major metro, a full page / full color ad was at least $20,000 per day, and they had gobs of them. Now, you can get the same thing for 20-25% of that and there are fewer of them than you have fingers. The math isn't hard to do.

You are spot-on, and it is very much a Yogi Berra-ism when it comes to Newspapers: on one hand, "no one reads them", on the other hand, "XYZ doesn't get enough coverage." Which is it, no one reads it, or YOU (not Getslow, in particular) DO read it and you're aggravated at their lack of coverage because they bring in about 25% of the revenue they did 20 years ago?

20 years ago, in a major metro, a full page / full color ad was at least $20,000 per day, and they had gobs of them. Now, you can get the same thing for 20-25% of that and there are fewer of them than you have fingers. The math isn't hard to do.

It's a nasty cycle on both the subscriber and management cycle. I don't know what can fix it. I've long been a believer that taking a number of the best ones back to closely-held enterprises might allow them to innovate in ways that a publicly-traded enterprise like Gannett simply can't due to the necessity of generating consistent profit for shareholders. Lose subscribers, cut costs to protect profits, lose more subscribers due to the lack of content that came from the cuts. Never ends.

And my generation has a lot to do with it. I'm 34 and probably the only person my age I know that gets even a Sunday delivery edition of the paper at all and one of a small handful of even digital subscribers.

Maybe they can get some writers who won't butcher the English language.

I was taught that the past tense of shine is shone---not shined---and the present perfect participle form of show is shown---not showed, as in "have showed." That kind of stuff is fingers on a blackboard to me. They can't afford a copy editor? Bad English usage erodes all their credibility as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you for allowing me to rant.

They can't afford a copy editor? Bad English usage erodes all their credibility as far as I'm concerned.

They can't. They've laid off almost all of the copy editors.

In this case, "showed" is acceptable as an active verb, but not, as you demonstrated, as a past participle.

And "shined" is perfectly acceptable as the past tense of "shine", though you should use "shone" when it doesn't take an object and "shined" when it does (generally speaking).

Mistakes like those happen and that's why we used to have editors. Not anymore.

Edited by Getslow

After watching this program for the last five years, Scotty Davenport has a machine rolling at Bellarmine. Always recruits players that have a mega work ethic and are very coachable. Annually has teams that play great D, shoot over 55% from field, 40% from 3, 70+% FTs, and competes on national scale. Sounds like a guy that should be getting a lot of D1 calls annually. Suspect strong Bellarmine supporters are taking care of a really quality coach. Statewide newspapers are missing a great story.

After watching this program for the last five years, Scotty Davenport has a machine rolling at Bellarmine. Always recruits players that have a mega work ethic and are very coachable. Annually has teams that play great D, shoot over 55% from field, 40% from 3, 70+% FTs, and competes on national scale. Sounds like a guy that should be getting a lot of D1 calls annually. Suspect strong Bellarmine supporters are taking care of a really quality coach. Statewide newspapers are missing a great story.

State newspapers are missing a lot of great stories unfortunately.