Western Kentucky Power Rankings - September 9, 2018

Purple88

BluegrassPreps 2018 Western Kentucky Power Rankings – Week 4 Edition

Concerning the top story line for this week, CHANGE IS INEVITABLE!!! And it is with that theme and this time in the season where I admit I am pretty dog-gone long-winded on these rankings and I realize folks have very busy lives and don’t have time every week to get through all the items listed in this thread, so we’ll audible formations into a “Popcorn N Coke Version” and “Meat & Potato’s Version” so you can get what you want and move on in the time available to you.

Popcorn N Coke Top 10 Version – Week 4:

1. Bowling Green 5A (4-0): Win 21-12 vs 5A Owensboro

2. South Warren 4A (4-0): Win 59-0 vs 6A Central Hardin

3. Mayfield 2A (4-0): Win 51-21 at 6A McCracken County

4. Franklin Simpson 4A (3-1): Win 50-7 at 5A Greenwood

5. Daviess County 6A (3-1): Win 20-0 at 2A Hancock County

6. Logan County 4A (4-0): Win 49-7 vs 1A Russellville

7. Henderson County 6A (3-1): Win 23-0 vs Gipson Southern, IN

8. Owensboro Catholic (2-2): Win 50-0 vs South Spencer, Indiana

9. Glasgow 2A (4-0): Win 28-7 vs 4A Allen County-Scottsville

10. Paducah Tilghman 3A (3-1): Win 41-7 vs 5A Graves County

Week 4 PurpleHaze Western Kentucky Game of the Week: Bowling Green 5A (4-0) 21 at Owensboro 5A (2-2) 12. Hard fought, weather influenced, rivalry game! BG didn’t play perfect but they played smart! The 3rd quarter was basically a monsoon and forced conservative play calling for the rest of the game. The Red Devils played inspired football, especially their defense, but the offense couldn’t get beyond mid-field in the second half. Thankful to get to meet and speak with @74devil prior to the game! He is a true red & black Owensboro, non-fair-weather fan! Appreciate his logical view to the game!

Week 5 Western Kentucky Game of the Week: There are a couple pretty good games this week, but no show-stoppers, so I’ve decided to audible to highlight 2 teams that have impressed (under the radar mostly) this season and think they’ve earned a shot to be here. So the game of the week this week is:

4A Warren East (2-2) at 2A Glasgow (4-0) This should be a Dandy of a Game! The Raiders RB Thomas Maxey is likely the best player in the West you know nothing about! He has over 650 yards through 4 games and is averaging over 165 yards a game! GETTIN IT DONE – MR. Maxey!!! Glasgow has likely been forgotten across the state due to the 2A Big Boys playing so well this year! This meeting will likely tell us if the Scotties will have a chance to upset one of those Big guys or not!

Honorable Mention: - Henderson County at Caldwell County; Hopkinsville at Paducah Tilghman; Mayfield at Graves County; Franklin Simpson at Meade County; and Daviess County at Owensboro - Try to make it out to one of these great games!

Week 4 Top 10:

10) Paducah Tilghman (3A) – Preseason Rank (PR): 18; Last Week (LW): 14 - 2018 Record 3-1: Week 4 Results: Win 41-7 vs 5A Graves County (1-3). Graves County played a great first quarter. They took the opening possession and passed easily down the field and led 7-0 and held that lead after 1Q. The Eagles may have thought the rest of the game didn’t count because they couldn’t find the end zone from there! And Tilghman got it together and rolled out just over 500 yards on the ground! 2 teams trending in different directions! And I feel the Blue Tornados are just getting stronger! Week 5: vs Hopkinsville (1-3). I was really looking forward to this game, but with the terrible news of Hoptown super-talented JR QB Jay Bland likely being done for the year that likely puts this game into a lop-sided affair for the home team. But lookin on the horizon that Blue Tornado vs Caldwell County District Buster game is gonna be a good one!

9) Glasgow (2A) – PR: 12; LW: 11 - 2018 Record (4-0): Week 4 Results: Win 37-0 vs 4A Allen County Scottsville (3-1). Great win Scotties! This is clearly a step up win for the Scotties from their first three opponents! These solid 4A schools will help Glasgow prepare for the playoffs. Through 3 games, RB Nick Mitchell is averaging over 100 yards a game on the ground with 5 TDs and WR Jayden Franklin has made 12 catches with 3 TDs on the season! WESTERN KENTUCKY GAME OF THE WEEK Week 5 vs 4A Warren East (2-2). Don’t doubt this Raider team Scottie Nation as they have some talent, but I just don’t think it will be enough to deal with the Scotties here! With the game in Glasgow again (played all their games at home so far this year!), I just think the Scotties get a hard fought, but close, win here!

8) Owensboro Catholic (2A) – PR: 13; LW: 9; 2018 Record 2-2: Week 4 Results: Win 50-0 vs South Spencer, IN (0-4). Well OCath fans, I bet Coach Edge didn’t enjoy that 50 Burger you handed him! But Hey – That’s HIS problem not yours! Not much more to add from that kind of domination! Week 5 at 5A City Rival Apollo (4-0). The Aces take on all-comers! If OCath can neutralize the running of ultra-talented Eagle RB Mariano McKenzie then I like their chances in this one off Tamarack Road! But that’s a Big If! But then again can the Apollo DBs cover the Aces wide outs? You tell me...

7) Henderson County (6A) – PR: 20; LW: 13 - (2018 Record 3-1) Week 4 Results: Win 23-0 vs Gipson Southern (Fort Branch) IN (3-1). The Colonels crossed the Ohio River and trekked 40 miles up Route 41 to Fort Branch for a battle with the #4 ranked team in 4A in Indiana! After blasting their first 3 opponents, the Titans couldn’t get anything going against a stout Colonel defense! Thanks to our good friend @Cols 51, who reported this is the first regular season loss for Gipson since 2014! WOW! Henderson outgained the Titans, who hadn’t been shut out since 2011, 330 to 170 yards. WR Nick Cissell had 3 catches for 91 yards and a big TD catch. Logan Green led the way on the ground with 26 carries for 103 yards! Way to go Hendo!!! Week 5: at 3A Caldwell County (2-2). These 2 teams have played each other the past 3 years with Caldwell County winning each game. But last year’s game at Henderson was the closest one yet at 42-28 Caldwell County. I think Henderson gets closer this year, but is it enough to get the win? You tell me…

6) Logan County (4A) – PR: 8; LW: 7 - 2018 Record 4-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Win: 49-7 over City Rival 1A Russellville (2-2). The Cougars were well prepared for their annual rivalry with Russellville! The Cougars rolled up nearly 500 yards to about 100 for the Panthers. And get this, Russellville only rushed for 7 yards in the game! WOW! Many play well for Logan County and you will see some stats below! Logan County is stealthily moving along under the radar. They will clearly be tested in their district, but with the devastating loss of Hoptown’s QB this shines more focus on the Cougars upcoming matchup with Madisonville. And you have to like Logan County’s chances in that game! Week 5: vs 2A McLean County (3-1). Beware Cougar Nation – these Little Brother Cougars can really play! They should have beaten a solid Apollo team 2 games ago! You have to trek the 50 miles up 431 to Calhoun! Prepare yourself as SR FB Jacob Miller is playing awfully well!

5) Daviess County (6A) – PR: 7; LW: 6 - 2018 Record 3-1; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Win: 20-0 vs 2A Hancock County (2-2). Panthers get the win, but is it convincing? I mean, this is a team that is supposed to be a high octane offensive machine and you put up 2 to 3 TDs on a (no offense meant) middle of the road 2A school! Not feeling the “Force is With You” right now Luke Skywalker! Week 5: at 5A City Rival Owensboro (2-2). Panthers got a Big “O” monkey off their backs last season when they beat Owensboro at home! Now with stakes high and time being of the essence, the Panthers look to push the Red Devils into free fall mode ahead of the district slate! This one will be a dog fight at Rash! The Owensboro secondary will be pushed to the test this week for sure. The Daviess County horses should be lickin their chops at this matchup!!! Gotta like your chances here Panther Fans, but you better be prepared for a battle!!!

4) Franklin Simpson (4A) – PR: 5; LW: 4 - 2018 Record 3-1; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Win: 50-7 vs 5A Greenwood (1-3). After a tough week of practice, I’m sure blasting the Gators felt pretty satisfying! And my, aren’t the 50 Burgers in full supply in Western Kentucky this past week! Both of Franklin’s star RBs ran for more yards than Greenwood gained as a team! Nice bounce back. Week 5: at 6A Meade County (2-2) at 8pm. The Green Wave rolled down to Shadetree Stadium last year and eeked out a gritty 24-21 win. Seems like Franklin should have won that game and I’m hoping they can roll up 65 and over the Joe Prather Highway to take the roll out of the Green Wave!! Make no mistake, this is a big test game for the Wildcats as you will not be challenged much during district play. So focus on this gritty 6A opponent and ramp up Wildcats!!!

3) Mayfield (2A) – PR: 3; LW: 3 - 2018 Record 4-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Win: 51-21 at 6A McCracken County (1-3). I just get the feel Cardinal fans that your star QB Jayden Stinson is getting more and more comfortable each week. That is a really bad thing for all Mayfield opponents, as Stinson peppered the field hitting multiple receivers who are all talented and can gain big yards after the catch! You will see Mr. Stinson’s stats below (again!). Ultra-talented Kent Trey Matthews ran 14 times for 104 yards on the night! Week 5: At 5A Graves County (1-3). The Eagles haven’t beaten Mayfield since 2008. And the way Graves is playing at the moment there isn’t much to support that changing anytime soon! Cardinals Roll!!!

2) South Warren (5A) – PR: 2; LW: 2 - 2018 Record 4-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 4: Win: 59-0 vs 6A Central Hardin (1-3). All Spartans in this one Sports Fans! The Spartans served a 50 Burger and charged 9 points for cheese! South continued their impressive start to the 2018 season. The same theme can be found in this Spartan victory as well. The Bruins start their first offensive possession on their 15; 3 and out and South takes over at the CH 34; they score. Second possession CH takes possession at CH 19; 3 and out and South takes over at the CH 38; they score. Third offensive CH possession begins at the CH 8; bad snap and a safety. First 3 possessions, 17 South Warren points, 72 offensive yards, and the Bruins are ready to be flipped over on the Spartans 50 Burger grill! What’s my point! This Spartan defense if very tough and makes you play uphill so their offense can play downhill! My cold water splash for you Spartan fans is that the regular Central Hardin QB, best WR (plays both ways) and best defensive player were out for this game per our good friend @Hardin County Preps. So it isn't the same lineup that played another team in Week 1, just sayin. Now that’s not South Warren’s problem, but just a factor as I know we have a lot of score comparer folks out there! Just get all the facts is what I’m sayin! And please see the OT Edition below for more insight here! Week 5: at District Opponent 5A Grayson County (4-0). This has to be the Best Grayson County team since they have been in 5A District 2. With that said, this may be the Best South Warren team they have had since entering 5A District 2. And unfortunately for the Cougars, this is the end of the road for the undefeated ranks. But hey, I’m impressed with the team Coach Smart has up in Leitchfield! They should be able to compete for 3rd in the district! Do they take down Greenwood on October 12? You tell me…

1) Bowling Green (5A) – PR: 1; LW: 1 - 2018 Record 4-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results PURPLEHAZE GAME OF THE WEEK: Win: 21-12 at 5A Owensboro (2-2). The Purples beat their most-played rival for the 14th straight time! But it wasn’t easy; and it shouldn’t be! For the Purples, Vito Tisdale continues to be a real difference maker and QB Beau Buchanan was very steady and handled the poor weather very well. Still a few WR drops cause what likely would have been more breathing room on the scoreboard to not be realized. The Purple defense allowed an opening drive TD and then 1 pass reception that was turned into a long TD run, but that was it as they locked the Red Devils down after those 2 first half scores! Week 5: At 4A Old Rival Warren Central (0-4). I love this old rivalry. It reminds me of my youth. Throwing water balloons and yelling at the Central fans is a time I fondly remember. But if I am honest, it may be time to look at only playing Central on a JV and freshman level. I truly hate to say that! But it might be most prudent in the near term at least. BG has played a very tough opening 4 game slate and deserves to throttle back a bit, but playing a team that will not get a win again this season is likely not be the right course for the Purples. BUT not a lot of options unless you want to go way up like a Brentwood Academy (I was also thinking maybe of some teams like Henderson County or old rival Franklin Simpson might be good though). Then again do you want to go 5 tough games out of the gate? You tell me… Scheduling is such a fickle beast – you can critique it till the cows come home!!

Next 10 – 11 to 20:

11) Owensboro (5A) – PR: 4; LW: 10 - 2018 Record 2-2; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 PURPLEHAZE GAME OF THE WEEK Results: Loss: 21-12 vs 5A Old Rival Bowling Green (4-0). I really thought the Red Devils played inspired football for the most part! Owensboro opened the game throwing the football and it worked in an opening possession score. They got another short catch and long run for another score, but with what now seems to be the game in the balance, Warren throws an INT that the BG DB made a fine play on and that turned the game in my opinion. The Red Devils didn’t want to get embarrassed after last week’s poor performance and they didn’t. But I feel there is some uncertainty in the use of certain players in certain situations in order to gain maximum benefit! Maybe I’m wrong, as the rains clearly impacted this game. You tell me… Week 5: vs 6A County Rival Daviess County (2-2). The Red Devils could really use a win. That medicine would also serve as revenge from the Panthers win last season at Daviess County 32-27! This year as the game shifts back to Rash Stadium, I feel the urgency level for both teams will be really high as the Red Devils need this prior to gettin on the bus to Christian County, clearly one of your toughest district games! So getting that Swag back is HUGE! The time is now Red Devil fans!

12) Caldwell County (3A) – PR: 10; LW: 12 - 2018 Record (2-2): Week 4 Results: Win 32-20 vs 1A Crittenden County (2-1). Tough game right here! As Crittenden County is a top notch team this year! But Caldwell’s defense came up big on short yardage holds ensuring the Caldwell offense could make plays to gut out this important momentum securing win! QB Joby Jaggers played really well as did star RB Jameer Riley. You will see his stats later! Week 5: Vs 6A Henderson County (3-1). Caldwell goes from playing an upstart 1A team to an upstart 6A team when the Colonels of Henderson come calling. This should be a super game with both teams entering this one with a lot of momentum! Caldwell County has won the past 3 meetings so the Tigers should be confident in this game! Good Luck Tigers!

13) Christian County (5A) – PR: 11; LW: 16 - 2018 Record 2-2; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Win: 16-7 vs 4A City Rival Hopkinsville (1-3). Christian County is a tough, physical, senior laden team with a terrific defense! They led Hopkinsville 8-7 at the half. Then unfortunately for all Western Kentucky football fans, the Tigers star QB was injured and reportedly is out for the year. Put a dark cloud over the game. But County did enough on offense to get the win. New QB JLin Powell is a solid weapon for the Colonels going forward as they try to make some noise in their district! Week 5: BYE WEEK. Good time for a BYE for the Colonels as you come off a win and this will give your offense some time to try to find some continuity and add a few wrinkles to use Powells talents to the fullest! Next game for the Colonels will be when they travel over to 5A District Foe Marshall County to get a win! I’d recommend going up to Owensboro, eating at Old Hickory, and taking in the Red Devils game as that will be a BIG district test for you County fans!

14) Union County (3A) – PR: 19; LW: 19 - (2018 Record 3-0) Week 4 Results: Win 14-13 at 4A Madisonville-North Hopkins (2-2)! Significant win right here for the Braves! Union County was down 13 Zip on the road at the half! I wonder what Coach Johns told his team at halftime? Whatever it was, he needs to bottle it for later! The Braves defense shutout Madisonville in the second half (no easy feat). While Braves QB Solamon Teehan completed 9 of 19 passes for 218 yards including the game winner to Elijah Calloway (41 yards) on the last play of the 3rd Quarter to get the win! HUGE momentum lifting win for the Braves! Although I like Caldwell County and Paducah Tilghman better in this 3A district, the Braves are a dangerous team and will have a punchers chance in those games! Week 5: at 2A Ballard Memorial (1-2). Don’t sleep on the Bombers Braves Fans as 50 burgers are like Hamburger Helper to them having dropped 50 burgers on both South Fulton, TN and Marshall County this season. Of course, they also gave up a 70 burger to the Marshalls as well! Doesn’t get much better than that for the offensive fans!!!

15) Apollo (5A) – PR: 16; LW: 15 - (2018 Record 4-0): Week 4 Results: Win 52-0 at 2A Butler County (0-4). Looks like Apollo only charged 2 points for the cheese on their 50 Burger! Great Bargain! Star RB Mariano McKenzie ran wild over the Poor Ole’ Bears rushing 13 times for 72 yards and 4 Big TDs! He is a load in short yardage! Just 2 teams on different levels. Week 5 vs City Rival 2A Owensboro Catholic (2-2). Dandy game over in Owensboro! The Eagles have a chance to close out the 2A opponent slate with a win against their City Rival and would clearly be the jewel win of those 3! But you will need to be hitting on all cylinders to do it, especially your defensive secondary! Good luck Eagles!

16) Hopkinsville (4A) – PR: 6; LW: 5 - 2018 Record 1-3; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Loss: 16-7 vs County Rival 5A Christian County (2-2). A terrific defensive affair held serve at the Stadium of Champions on Friday night as the city vs county rivalry played on center stage another year! Christian County led 8-7 at the half. And as our good friend @Region2 Hype Man reported, the game changed on the first Hopkinsville possession of the second half when star Hoptown QB Jay Bland injured his leg. He tried to continue to play but was unable to do so and early reports suggest his Junior Year of football is over. We sincerely wish Mr. Bland a very speedy recovery and my compassion goes out to all Tiger Fans. I hate injuries! The game was pretty much over at that point as Hoptown reportedly doesn’t have another QB ready with the 2nd team man injured in a recent JV game. So it is tough for Tiger Nation right now! Best of luck going forward! Week 5: at 3A Paducah Tilghman (3-1). This likely would have been my game of the week in Week 5. But seeing how scoring will be very, very difficult for the Tigers, I just think it will take a couple games to get over the loss of Jay Bland (if they can at all). Good luck Tigers!

17) Madisonville – North Hopkins (4A) – PR: 9; LW: 8 - 2018 Record 2-2; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Loss: 14-13 vs 3A Union County (3-0). I warned you about this one Maroons Fans! Same thing happened last season. I didn’t see that one coming, but think I did this year! Madisonville led 13-0 at the half and looked to be in control of the game. They limited the Braves to minus 47 yards rushing on the night. WOW! But they couldn’t stop the Braves passing attack as they struck for 2 3rd quarter scores to go ahead 14-13. No scoring occurred in the 4th Quarter. Missed opportunity for sure! But hey, it wasn’t a district game, so pick yourself up and move on Maroons as the District Schedule is here! Week 5: at 4A District & County Rival Hopkins County Central (2-2). This is a game that means a lot over where the Pennyrile & WK Parkways (I realize they have new names, but I’m partial to the old ones!) come together! The Storm haven’t beaten the Maroons since 2003 and they have had some very lean years between then and now. Just don’t see them being able to stop the avalanche that an angry Maroon rushing game will throw at them! Maroons Roll!

18) Crittenden County (1A) – PR: 17; LW: 17 (2018 Record 2-1) Week 4 Results: Loss 32-20 at 3A Caldwell County (2-2). The Rockets played awfully well in the first half of this one and led Caldwell 10-6 at the break! But Caldwell made a few more adjustments in the 2nd half that saw Crittenden get outscored 24-10. Rockets Star RB Devon Nesbitt was a work horse carrying 27 times for 72 hard fought yards. Rockets QB Hunter Boone played well, but for those that know Caldwell County know their defensive secondary is no joke and they clearly schemed well to try to subdue Rockets star WR Ethan Dossett who had a solid 6 catches for 70 yards, but couldn’t shake free long in the second half. Good effort Rockets! Week 5: vs 2A Poor Ole’ Webster County (1-3) The only win Poor Ole’ Webster County has on the year is against Poor Ole’ Fulton City, so it’s tough at the Bottom! I look for the Rockets to be shooting high come Friday night in Marion! Webster hasn’t beaten Crittenden County in football since 2006 and with as good a team as the Rockets have this year, that’s highly unlikely to change this season!

19) Warren East (4A) – PR: 23; LW: Not Ranked (NR) - (2018 Record 2-2) Week 4 Results – Win 42-14 vs 3A Edmonson County (2-2). Let’s welcome in some new blood here in the Rankings this week. First up is a solid Warren East Raiders squad that stumbled out of the gate to a Portland TN (3-1) squad and only lost at tough Wayne County by 17 points in a 57-40 shootout! Raiders had no trouble with scrappy Edmonson County on Friday night and set up a really interesting game off the Cumberland Parkway! Week 5 WESTERN KENTUCKY GAME OF THE WEEK: at 2A Glasgow (4-0). These teams has played sporadically over the years, but the last 3 years Glasgow has won each game (by 2 points in 2017; by 6 points in 2016; and by 13 points in 2015). So is this the year Raider Fans to take down the Scotties! Should be a Great Game! Fill up at the Minute Mart and head over to the Cumberland Parkway to take in this one Raider Nation!

20) McLean County (2A) – PR: NR; LW: NR - 2018 Record 3-1: Week 3 Results: Win 31-7 at 6A Muhlenberg County (1-3). I realize Muhlenberg County isn’t the Philadelphia Eagles, but when a 2A school travels to a 6A school and wins convincingly, that is significant to me! Coach Zach Wagner has his Cougars revved up this year! Star JR RB Peyton Caraway played really well; you will see his stats later! The Cougar D laid the hammer down with 8 sacks on the night as well! Wow! Week 5 vs 4A Logan County (4-0). OOOOOFFFF!!!! Very tough matchup for the Cougars! But they won’t back down and I look for a hard fought game here and I am guaranteeing a Cougar win!!! Which one? You tell me…

Others Receiving Votes: McCracken County, Graves County, Allen County Scottsville, Russellville, Grayson County, Hancock County

WEEK 4 PLAYER OF THE WEEK:

*Jaden Stinson – QB – Mayfield – 13 for 22 for 338 yards and 6 TDs vs 6A McCracken County. Congratulations Jaden!

Other outstanding performances in the West:

1) Gary Hardy – RB – Logan County – 14 carries for 130 yards and 3 TDs vs 1A Russellville!

2) Jameer Riley – RB/WR – Caldwell County – 3 catches for 66, 78 and 7 yards – all TDs vs 1A Crittenden County!

3) Peyton Caraway – RB – McLean County – 9 carries for 142 yards and 1 TD; 1 reception for 20 yards and 1 TD vs 6A Muhlenberg County!

4) Thomas Maxey – RB – Warren East – 18 carries for 250 yards and 3 TDs vs Edmonson County!

*I do my best to try to spread this around, but Mr. Stinson simply earned it this week. If there are stats I don’t know about, please add them below!

Week 4 “Teams Trending Down”

Hopkinsville (4A) – Down – Considering the hurdles Hopkinsville has faced in the last 2 seasons and knowing how much the game against your County rival means to the school and the town, this placement is meant more as an encouragement for the Hopkinsville players to use this discouraging turn of events to rally around each other and come out better for it on the other side – win or lose! Life throws us all curveballs! It’s what we do with them that define who we are and the person you are destined to become! Rise up Tigers!!!

Madisonville-North Hopkins (4A) – Down – Is it just me or does it seem Madisonville has kinda been on cruise control most of the year? Maybe that’s unfair to go there, but certainly seems that way from afar! Use this speed bump to get back to more focused effort and if you take care of your district opponents you can still go a long way! Good luck Maroons!!

Teams “Trending Up”

Henderson County (6A) – Up – The Colonels aren’t as quiet this week after blanking a Gipson Southern team that hadn’t tasted regular season defeat in 4 YEARS!!! That my friends is impressive! Coach Boston and company are making it known that they intend to challenge for the District Championship early in the process this season! Go Colonels!

Union County (3A) – Up – This is the win (vs Madisonville) last year that really put the Braves on the map! This year they travel TO Madisonville and get it done AGAIN! Great Work Braves!!! You will not be the favorite in your district, but you are the dark horse and have a chance against the favorites! Good luck Braves!!!

WESTERN KENTUCKY ROUNDUP!!!

Fulton CountyYou can’t stop the Pilots; you can only hope to contain them!!! The Pilots move to 3 and 0 on the year with a barnburner win at Stewart County, TN 38-37!!! In the past 10 year, Fulton County (not counting wins again Fulton City or 1 win vs a school no longer around – Reidland) has only won 2 games! 2 wins in 10 years – friends that’s lean times! The next 2 weeks Fulton County hosts South Fulton, TN (0-3) and Greenfield, TN (2-2). Greenfield beat S Fulton by 1 point; so you would think if the Pilots can beat 1 they can beat the other and start the year 5 and 0!!! Remarkable! Let’s Go Pilots!!! Pulling for you guys!

Barren County – The Trojans get their first win on their Brand New Turf field 21-20 vs 2A Monroe County! Barren is the right name; as the Trojan have only come across 1 win each of the past 2 years! I hope you get a few more Trojan Fans! Congrats on the BIG home win!

Grayson County – The Cougars tick off another big win 41-12 vs 6A Ohio County! The Cougars haven’t been 4 and 0 since 2012 when they started the season 7 and 0! Coach Jerome Smart is doing a great job over in Grayson County! The Cougars are led by Sophomore RB Q Daryius McHenry who gained 125 yards on 16 carries and 2 TDs! Great job Cougars!

OVERTIME EDITION:

Bowling Green vs South Warren

I have thought about this rivalry many times and there are many facets to it. When speaking about the 2018 season, I knew both teams would be very good and they are. I conversed with our good friend and South Warren aficionado @jcarter about the two and he considered them a 1A and 1B type of comparison. I agree with that assessment. However when you are doing rankings, I think that is a cop out. Man up and pick one.

So when you look at Bowling Green, you can attribute the following positive characteristics: talented senior QB, talented & heralded RB, good lines, solid coaching (but somewhat unknown due to a new head coach position), difficult to very difficult schedule (could also be negative if injuries are incurred). Potential negative characteristics: young WR corps, too many holding penalties, and potentially tight play calling.

Then when you look at South Warren, the positive characteristics include: talented senior laden defense, talented senior QB, good RB, good lines, very solid coaching, Clayton Bush is a terrific versatile athlete. Potential negative characteristic: too many penalties, potentially untested offense, never being in a close game, lacks top end schedule.

So when you compare the two, you usually get one of two outcomes to hang your hat on (a majority of the time it depends on if your hat is Purple or Black!):

1. You give the nod to the team that steamrolls “overall” lesser competition.

2. You give the nod to the team that does not roll up 50 burgers, but plays “overall” better competition.

But in the end, as our good friend @Killowatt59 said, it really doesn’t matter because they play at South Warren on October 19, 2018! And as Kilowatt added, BG will be at a disadvantage that BG CHOSE to have by playing a top national opponent (Warren Central IN) on the road! As I said in the pre-season, I expect these 2 to play twice. So just like last year, the second one will matter most and it will be fun to watch! Good luck to both teams!

P88

Good work however I can tell you this and I have seen both South and BG play. Got home after the South/FS game and watched BG vs ST X on the live internet feed.

Also saw the central Hardin BG game in week 1.

Yes BG has played a little tougher schedule but I am going to tell you SW is at a different level right now. They are bigger faster and smarter and put teams away quick. Right now at this point they are far a head of BG. IMHO.

I will point out on the CH game and I know there QB and running back were out but what I saw was them use 3 linemen to try and keep Lacey out of the backfield that let Cross, Teague, and Shea run free at LB position and create havoc. Also South scored I believe on every single position Friday night even the subs. That’s what has impressed me. I know the dynamic of CH was different than week one but there were still a lot of the same players especially the line of CH that got literally man handled by south that I didn’t see in week one from BG.

The thing that scares me is that in the first 3 games the starters were out in the second quarter. However Friday vs CH he let them play one series in the third. I have a feeling that this is concerning coach Smith as well.

I think in 4 weeks we will find out a lot about both teams when they play!!! Hope you get to make it down this year.

As I said good work!!

Edited by jcarter

P88

Good work however I can tell you this and I have seen both South and BG play. Got home after the South/FS game and watched BG vs ST X on the live internet feed.

Also saw the central Hardin BG game in week 1.

Yes BG has played a little tougher schedule but I am going to tell you SW is at a different level right now. They are bigger faster and smarter and put teams away quick. Right now at this point they are far a head of BG. IMHO.

I will point out on the CH game and I know there QB and running back were out but what I saw was them use 3 linemen to try and keep Lacey out of the backfield that let Cross, Teague, and Shea run free at LB position and create havoc. Also South scored I believe on every single position Friday night even the subs. That’s what has impressed me. I know the dynamic of CH was different than week one but there were still a lot of the same players especially the line of CH that got literally man handled by south that I didn’t see in week one from BG.

The thing that scares me is that in the first 3 games the starters were out in the second quarter. However Friday vs CH he let them play one series in the third. I have a feeling that this is concerning coach Smith as well.

I think in 4 weeks we will find out a lot about both teams when they play!!! Hope you get to make it down this year.

As I said good work!!

JC,

I appreciate your opinion and you could be 100% right and I could be 100% wrong and that's why they play the game.

It is looking right now like I will not be able to make the first game due to family issues that I likely can't get out of. I hate that, but you have to do what you have to do!

JC,

I appreciate your opinion and you could be 100% right and I could be 100% wrong and that's why they play the game.

It is looking right now like I will not be able to make the first game due to family issues that I likely can't get out of. I hate that, but you have to do what you have to do!

Don’t get me wrong P88 not saying you were wrong just stating my opinion and assessment on what I have seen thus far. And like you said when they are this close it’s kinda where does your heart lay purple or black right now!

Sorry you want make it down hopefully we will catch up in the playoffs!!

Don’t get me wrong P88 not saying you were wrong just stating my opinion and assessment on what I have seen thus far. And like you said when they are this close it’s kinda where does your heart lay purple or black right now!

Sorry you want make it down hopefully we will catch up in the playoffs!!

JC,

I didn't take it as an aggressive post. I know you. Both teams are really good and I really think it will come down to 1 or 2 plays that really turn the tide in the game(s) that will make the difference. And that's really exciting!

Great job, 88!

I’m fairly confident the Purples will be 7-1 when they face the 8-0 Spartans. Not overlooking or trying to be overconfident but it is what it is.

My hope is that on the night the two teams play they will both be at or at least near 100% healthy.

I will save my prediction till mid October.

It will be a dandy and should prove to be a sampling of their 2nd game a few weeks after that one.

It is what makes High School football the best sport in all the land!

Thank you for your kind words. As always, totally on point.:)

I totally agree that there is an issue as to where to play certain people and how to use them. That being said, the last TD Bowling Green scored was just such a situation. Replacement comes in for inside linebacker ends up lining up as the outside linebacker and the Quarter back (as a good quarter back should) sees the situation and goes right to the spot.

Yes, that pick when Owensboro was on the goal line was huge! Total game changer. I believe the lack of an inside running game precipitated the feeling that they needed to throw the ball. They did not learn from the Catholic game.:banghead: That was not the only questionable play call. The called back TD was big but not as big as that pick. Hats off to that corner back (or was it the safety? I have not seen the film). He made an outstanding play.

This time last year the feeling over on Frederica was different. There's more confidence over there this year. No head hanging. Yes, they lost, but there was an opportunity and OHS didn't take advantage. The wheels may still be wobbling but they succeeded in putting a couple of lug nuts back on so maybe the wheels won't come off just yet. This isn't last years Owensboro High School team.:no:

Great work as always @Purple88! I know you all can argue who should be # 1 between BG & South Warren until they finally play in a few weeks but I'm just going to throw this out there... As an Owensboro Catholic fan we saw both South Warren and Mayfield at the end of last year. I was much more impressed with Mayfield than South Warren. I know SW was missing a running back but still Mayfield was just as good on defense and had way more weapons on offense. I know this was last year but just one fan's take and it looks like Mayfield has most all those weapons back this year and playing lights out. Just curious as to why Mayfield hasn't gotten any mention for the top spot. As the season has played out, it's pretty obvious there are alot of very, very good football teams in 2A!

Great work as always @Purple88! I know you all can argue who should be # 1 between BG & South Warren until they finally play in a few weeks but I'm just going to throw this out there... As an Owensboro Catholic fan we saw both South Warren and Mayfield at the end of last year. I was much more impressed with Mayfield than South Warren. I know SW was missing a running back but still Mayfield was just as good on defense and had way more weapons on offense. I know this was last year but just one fan's take and it looks like Mayfield has most all those weapons back this year and playing lights out. Just curious as to why Mayfield hasn't gotten any mention for the top spot. As the season has played out, it's pretty obvious there are alot of very, very good football teams in 2A!

ZB,

This is a great question and point! As Mayfield is not your typical 2A team! I had to think about this a bit to be able to respond appropriately.

To be fair, I also had to look back to the time that you saw South Warren play. As you mentioned they were without their RB, who was a rock for them last season. Additionally, they lost 2 weeks prior to this on the road to a good Ravenwood, TN team. They rebounded, practiced hard and had pep ralleys all over the place as the first EVER meeting with Bowling Green occured the next week. South didn't play like they wanted to and got their doors blown off 43-7. You have to know that their emotional makeup was extremely low following this game. And no offense, but following the BG game with a trip to Owensboro to play a 2A school did not fire them up. Now that's not OCath's or Mayfield's problem, but it was the state of affairs at the time for South Warren. As I think you caught them at their worst last season. Just my opinion.

Concerning Mayfield, I think the biggest problem with my ranking of Mayfield is ME. Why would I say that? Because I have NEVER seen Mayfield play in person. I have tried on 2 occasions to make a Mayfield game and been unsuccessful both times. I had planned to go to the Corbin game this year, but my 30 year HS reunion is the same weekend. Again, not Mayfield's problem. Sitting here, there is NO reason Mayfield should not garner or be in the conversation for the top spot. With that said, does anyone know where I could view more Mayfield highlights/game film? If you do, please let me know of PM me. I would appreciate it!

My question to you at this time would be, would you rank Mayfield #1 right now? And why.

Thx!

@Purple88.. I honestly can't say they should be ranked over both BG and SW, I guess I was implying to more of the fact that they should atleast be discussed. I haven't seen any of them this year. However, I saw OHS v. Owensboro Catholic and I was not impressed with OHS on defense at all. Owensboro Catholic played extremely well on offense against them but I know it looked like they righted the ship a little on defense against BG the following week. If you haven't seen Mayfield play, you are missing out. I've been impressed with them the last 2 years. If I had to rank just based on comparative scores I would probably go South Warren 1, BG & Mayfield 2a &2b. I know we have a ton of Mayfield people on here that will be happy to give you good honest feedback but I think they are right there with the Bowling Green's and South Warren's this year... maybe not every year but I think this year they are based on the kid's I saw playing last year that were Juniors & Seniors.