Reporting Football Stats

I noticed that there are several new categories of stats the KHSAA is posting on their site, but I've also noticed that some of the schools around northern Kentucky haven't reported all of them, and in the cases of Covington Catholic, Dixie, and Lloyd, I've not seen any statistics reported at all for last week's games.

Any reason for not reporting certain elements? It would seem like with all of the software packages put there these days that it should be pretty streamlined and simple.

How is the reporting going elsewhere around the state?

I noticed that there are several new categories of stats the KHSAA is posting on their site, but I've also noticed that some of the schools around northern Kentucky haven't reported all of them, and in the cases of Covington Catholic, Dixie, and Lloyd, I've not seen any statistics reported at all for last week's games.

Any reason for not reporting certain elements? It would seem like with all of the software packages put there these days that it should be pretty streamlined and simple.

How is the reporting going elsewhere around the state?

As one of those statisticians, I found the KHSAA changes annoying, so much that I had to write an email to them. The website is not allowing manual entry of team rushing yards anymore. Now, it is automatically calculated as the total of individual player rushing yards. Sounds reasonable, doesn't it? Well, it's not, because that formula does not take into account "team rushing" yards (such as bad snaps over the head of the QB or kneel downs) that are not (and should not be) attributed to any player. I haven't heard back from them yet. The other changes (such as tackles for loss) are not an issue for me since I have those numbers anyway.

Another annoyance is how pat’s are now handled on the attempts, made is that just for kicks or also 2pt as well? Our kicker made 4-5 PAT kicks but also had a failed 2pt run attempt, I didn’t want to hurt his kicking percentage by having 2pt att on there if not supposed to be there.

So it sounds like the KHSAA's new system has muddied the waters a little for statisticians trying to get things reported. That's a shame. I hope you at very least get some feedback in response to your email @nkypete. It's good that you took the time to reach out to them. If they don't get any negative feedback, it's entirely possible that they wouldn't be aware that an issue existed in the first place.

Can either of you shed a little light on the reporting guidelines? Whether or not the KHSAA have a deadline for reporting. Which statistics are required and which are optional.

I thought there could be fines for schools that don't submit stats in a timely manner. I don't know what that time frame is so I submit them as soon as I can each week. As far as particular categories of stats, if I have them, I enter them.

Not a big deal, but I can't get it to accept negative receiving yardage. It changes it to zero and that means I end up with different numbers (but still close) for passing and receiving. Anyone else run into that?

It does take negative rushing yardage, but not negative receiving yards.

5 days later and still no stats reported for this past weekend from Boone County, Coonner, New Cath, or Lloyd.

There are also still a bunch of other teams like Beechwood, Highlands and Campbell County that are reporting stats but aren't recording anything on the defensive side of things.

Makes it a bummer when it comes to trying to put the power rankings together. I'd love to get to write in some info on individual player performances to give them some cred.

I agree on that. You can only have 1 solo or 2 assists but I've seen where an opposing team ran 32 plays and there were 25 solo tackles and 30 assists given out? The score was 35-40 some of those plays went for scores??? how did they come up with 40 total tackles??

This needs to be sent to all schools:

HOW TO RECORD TACKLES

Tackles: Solo & Assisted

Schools have a variety of ways of recording tackles. The rule however is that only one player

can have a "solo" tackle on a play. Also, no more than two players can be credited with an

assisted tackle when there is no solo tackle awarded. Tackles are not given on scoring plays.

You cannot have a solo tackle and an assist on the same play. You cannot have MORE solo plus

assisted tackles than the opposing team has plays. If an offensive team has a total of 52 plays, of

which 4 resulted in scores, there cannot be more than 48 solo tackles, or if no solo tackles were

credited, no more than 96 assists.

Tackles for a Loss; Sacks

In quikstatsiowa.com, tackles for a loss means exactly that – loss of yards rushing measured back

from the line of scrimmage. Charge the ball carrier with a rush and loss of yards. A sack, solo or

assisted, involves only the passer or player attempting to pass. If tackled behind the line of

scrimmage or forced out of bounds for a loss – the pay is a rush with negative yards and a sack for

the defense. This is for scrimmage plays only. Do not include returns of kicks, interceptions or other

returns where the ball carrier may retreat from the point of original possession. If a solo tackle is

awarded, the loss yardage goes to the tackler. If there is no solo tackle, then split the loss

yardage between the two players that are credited with assists on the tackle.

Ball Carrier Going Out of Bounds – Tackle or Not?

A person in possession of the ball who is forced out of bounds during a play or who runs out of

bounds voluntarily credit a solo tackle to the player who forces him out or is closest to him, but

no assist

Tackles are the worst kept stat of all, unfortunately.

Leading tacklers should have considerable more solos than assists. When you see assist higher than solos then you know that statisticians are not on top of things.

In fairness - its hard if there is not a good spotter working with the recorder. Like a sniper team the two have to have team work and rhythm. If its just a couple of well meaning parents - its a tough task.

Leading tacklers should have considerable more solos than assists. When you see assist higher than solos then you know that statisticians are not on top of things.

In fairness - its hard if there is not a good spotter working with the recorder. Like a sniper team the two have to have team work and rhythm. If its just a couple of well meaning parents - its a tough task.

With the quality of video and hudl these can be easily tallied not longer after the game is over and reported just as yards gained, etc.

This is how I do defensive stats during the game...I don't even try. I have spotters on either side of me just to give me details on what is going on with the offensive side. I will record fumbles and interceptions as they happen. However, the high school game is too fast (not enough time between plays and no TV timeouts) to do tackles. After the game, coaches (or myself) look at the film and gather solo and assisted tackles, sacks and tackles for loss into a spreadsheet. I get that spreadsheet and load the numbers to the appropriate websites (like KHSAA and MaxPreps). I may not be able to attach a player's tackle to a specific play, but at least I know my totals are correct.

do you use a software for stats nkypete? Maxpreps lets you upload from most stats software, I didn't know that last year and would take me aboue 15-20 minutes per game to update, now 2 minutes.

I do stats live and try to get tackles, and just put tm when I don't know, my software I can just edit the tm to a number but if I don't put in a tackle at all have to replace the play rather than edit it. I use statcrew.

i'll review stats after I upload our video and intercut it. then will review stats on hudl on my ipad streamed to the tv with apple tv, allows me to zoom and slow motion etc. the intercut plays the play from pressbox angle then endzone, allows you to see both angles right after another