Jeff Garrett Gets Release from NKU

Oldbird

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fascinated by the repeated veiled insinuations that there is some problem with Coach Brannen whenever these situations come up. I only vaguely know the man but he seems more than competent and certainly committed to the program. Today's college game at the mid and low major level is all about transfers, educational opportunity and, in some cases, "me-time" so none of this should come as a surprise. As this program grows this will, unfortunately, be a regular occurrence, particularly with locals and near-locals. I find it disappointing that so many folks choose to insinuate that this is all somehow something sinister going on in the NKU program.

I'm fascinated by the repeated veiled insinuations that there is some problem with Coach Brannen whenever these situations come up. I only vaguely know the man but he seems more than competent and certainly committed to the program. Today's college game at the mid and low major level is all about transfers, educational opportunity and, in some cases, "me-time" so none of this should come as a surprise. As this program grows this will, unfortunately, be a regular occurrence, particularly with locals and near-locals. I find it disappointing that so many folks choose to insinuate that this is all somehow something sinister going on in the NKU program.

The Garrett release by itself would not have brought on questions. When one of your top 3 starters and arguably number one sub off the bench both leave, that raises questions.

The Garrett release by itself would not have brought on questions. When one of your top 3 starters and arguably number one sub off the bench both leave, that raises questions.

I disagree only in the assessment of the roles you suggest for each. Not at all sure that I agree with top three or number one sub, but certainly they had roles they played. Regardless, however, this is not at all unusual,

Who left that was a top three starter?

No one that left this year was a starter at all at least the last 7 games. And if you, for one second, think that John wasn’t putting what he thought was the best five on the court at any point in time...especially down the stretch and into the conference tournament, then there’s no point in continuing the conversation.

I think Faulkner was the only one that would have had a significant (starting) role in 2018-19.

Since we haven't seen the newcomers then it is hard to know, but my guess is he still would have been coming off the bench.

Who left that was a top three starter?

No one that left this year was a starter at all at least the last 7 games. And if you, for one second, think that John wasn’t putting what he thought was the best five on the court at any point in time...especially down the stretch and into the conference tournament, then there’s no point in continuing the conversation.

Statistically, Carson Williams was a top three starter. He started 27 of 32 games. He was 3rd on the team in scoring. He shot 61% from the floor for the season. He was 2nd on the team in rebounding. He was 3rd on the team in steals. He tied for 3rd on the team in blocked shots. Those are the numbers. Also, by the way, in arguably the most important game of the year for NKU (conference championship vs. Cleveland St.) Williams posted a double double.

Mason Faulkner, the guy someone said only wants to shoot, was #2 on the team in assists per game (while coming off the bench). Faulkner's assist to turnover ratio was #1 on the team - better than Holland's. Faulkner was #6 on the team in minutes played. None of that is meant to insinuate Faulkner should have been starting, but it does lend credibility to him being one of the top subs.

I am just posting real numbers. Nothing subjective. These are facts.

Now, as to what the roles of those two would have been next year, no one knows. You don't know because I asked you what next year's lineup would be and you said you don't know. And that will all be speculation at this point anyway.