Eight Graders playing Freshman

Jo-Jo13

Whats everyones opinion on this? My daughter is thinking about trying out for her local Freshman team and I'm looking at the pros and cons. She has the option of REC Ball, Middle School Ball or Freshman. She played little league at Prairie Village before moving to Oldham County where she played at North Oldham. Played some travel ball and made some All-Star Teams but then decided to "Concentrate" on Cheerleading. Broke my heart, but that's a different story, lol.

So she brought it to my attention this past weekend so I took her to the indoor cages and it looks like she hasn't lost a thing hitting the ball. She said her friends that are already on the team are asking her to play? Should I let her try out or push her towards middle school ball?

I think offensively she will have no issues. Shes Left handed and has a very good bat and fast. Defensively, she hasn't played in 3 years? Do I think she will get back into the grove and become as good as she was, absolutely, its just those 1st couple weeks I'm worried about, lol.

I'll say let her play up. Most of the girls that play on a freshmen team are from middle school. The 9th graders that are a step ahead of others play up to JV or varsity... Let her play up with her friends and she will be ready for high school ball.

This. Freshman ball is not very good. If she'd decent it will not be "too good " for her. Not sure about the 8th region but I don't think there are frosh teams at every 9th region school. Frosh is the equivalent of rec ball.

I know when my daughter played 7-8 years ago, she played freshman from 6th grade on. There were only a couple of freshman on the team, everyone else younger. The good freshmen all played JV or varsity. I assume it depends on your school and how many kids they have playing.

• 2 weeks later...

well the good news is she made the team!!!! The bad news is she made the team ,lol. Here brother is a junior on OC baseball team and it costs approx $600 to play that, just curious on what the cost is for her???? I dont remember it costing this much back in the stone age when I played or coached????

well the good news is she made the team!!!! The bad news is she made the team ,lol. Here brother is a junior on OC baseball team and it costs approx $600 to play that, just curious on what the cost is for her???? I dont remember it costing this much back in the stone age when I played or coached????

I’ve been out of the game for awhile. Is paying a fee per sport common now ?

At OC there is a general sports fee that goes to the school of $150. Then there is the fee the team charges, ranges from $75 to $150. Then the players are responsible for buying all the uniforms. Jerseys, cleats, pants, socks, helmets, bags, that of course all are ordered through the same company so they all match. fortunately the sports fee is yearly so her brother has already paid his during football so the second child is only $50 so that helps. So for baseball its $520 and Softball is $280 so we have to pay $800 for our 2 children to play High School Sports...... SMH But to answer your question, yes I think it is common place now.

I’ve been out of the game for awhile. Is paying a fee per sport common now ?

I think it’s pretty common now. The most common I’ve heard is $150. Now, beyond that fee, costs can differ drastically from school to school and even within the same school. I know at one school, The boosters cover all costs for one sport, but another sport can cost a few hundred.

So here is what it costs to play softball for Oldham County:

Player fee $75

OCHS Athlete Fee $120

Game Pants (2 pair) $40

Belt $9

Game Socks ( 2 Pair) $18

Bating Helmet $50

Team Bag $45

Practice Gear $45

Grand Total: $402

so that's $1000 for our 2 kids to play HS Baseball and Softball, uggghhhh