Woodworking Question - Sharpening Chisels

CincySportsFan

I've got some chisels (as well as a couple of plane irons) that I need to sharpen. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to do them on right now, so I will have to go buy something. Has anybody done this before, because my question is...what is your go-to sharpening stone?

There's waterstones, oilstones and even diamond stones. If you look for it, you can find people who back/prefer each type. Some use sandpaper mounted on glass as part of the process, or maybe a strop afterwards...others don't.

I'm not looking at spending a ton of money on these stones, but don't want to waste my time on something too cheap either. Anybody with any recommendations?

I've got some chisels (as well as a couple of plane irons) that I need to sharpen. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to do them on right now, so I will have to go buy something. Has anybody done this before, because my question is...what is your go-to sharpening stone?

There's waterstones, oilstones and even diamond stones. If you look for it, you can find people who back/prefer each type. Some use sandpaper mounted on glass as part of the process, or maybe a strop afterwards...others don't.

I'm not looking at spending a ton of money on these stones, but don't want to waste my time on something too cheap either. Anybody with any recommendations?

A Belt Sander!:clap:

First off, do NOT use a bench grinder...period. Even if the bench grinder and/or the grinding wheel for the grinder say you can safely use it for sharpening, don't do it. It moves too quickly and creates too much heat to be safe for the temper of the steel in any kind of blade...then the steel softens, and your blades dull in no time fast.

Before I bought my wetstones, I would take spray-on contact cement and use it to glue sandpaper down on masonite hardboard. Works great...until the sandpaper wears out and you have to cut out a new little piece of hardboard and cement another piece of sandpaper to it. But regardless, you can buy sandpaper up to around 2000 grit at Lowes and Home Depot...and that will put a dandy of an edge on any chisel, plane, spokeshave, or draw knife you're going to use.

Wetstones work more than fine for tool sharpening if you're looking for the next step up. Just make sure you get one that's at least a 1200 grit if you're looking to use it for any fine sharpening on a spokeshave or a detail plane iron.

I've tried a Japanese waterstones before for sharpening a chisel...and man oh man were they ever the Rolex of a sharpening stones. They're sure pretty pricey though...

First off, do NOT use a bench grinder...period. Even if the bench grinder and/or the grinding wheel for the grinder say you can safely use it for sharpening, don't do it. It moves too quickly and creates too much heat to be safe for the temper of the steel in any kind of blade...then the steel softens, and your blades dull in no time fast.

Before I bought my wetstones, I would take spray-on contact cement and use it to glue sandpaper down on masonite hardboard. Works great...until the sandpaper wears out and you have to cut out a new little piece of hardboard and cement another piece of sandpaper to it. But regardless, you can buy sandpaper up to around 2000 grit at Lowes and Home Depot...and that will put a dandy of an edge on any chisel, plane, spokeshave, or draw knife you're going to use.

Wetstones work more than fine for tool sharpening if you're looking for the next step up. Just make sure you get one that's at least a 1200 grit if you're looking to use it for any fine sharpening on a spokeshave or a detail plane iron.

I've tried a Japanese waterstones before for sharpening a chisel...and man oh man were they ever the Rolex of a sharpening stones. They're sure pretty pricey though...

Don't worry, bench grinder never crossed my mind.

Here's what I came across earlier today that I was thinking about.

Premium Knife Sharpening Stone Double-Sided 1

Don't worry, bench grinder never crossed my mind.

Here's what I came across earlier today that I was thinking about.

Premium Knife Sharpening Stone Double-Sided 1/6 Grit for Sharpening & Honing - Whetstone Ideal to Sharpen Chefs Knife & Kitchen Knife - Anti-slip Bamboo Base & Angle Guider Free Bonus - - Amazon.com

Thoughts?

For your intents and purposes, that looks like it should do the job just fine. The 6000 grit is more of a fine sharpening grit for knives than it is for tools, but there's nothing wrong with that.

If I was looking, I'd want to see if I could find something like a 2-sided stone with 1000/3000 or something along that line, but I wouldn't be surprised if they intentionally make it harder to find *exactly* what you want for the sake of encouraging you to buy more of their stones.

For your intents and purposes, that looks like it should do the job just fine. The 6000 grit is more of a fine sharpening grit for knives than it is for tools, but there's nothing wrong with that.

If I was looking, I'd want to see if I could find something like a 2-sided stone with 1000/3000 or something along that line, but I wouldn't be surprised if they intentionally make it harder to find *exactly* what you want for the sake of encouraging you to buy more of their stones.

It's not exactly 1000/3000 (it's 1000/4000)...but, didn't take too long to find this one. I'll keep looking.

Amazon.com: Sharpening Stone Set - Premium Two Sided Japanese Style 1

That looks like a winner for you.