Christmas & Atheists?

A question I've been pondering recently...Do atheists celebrate Christmas? If so, what's the rationale or reasoning behind doing so?

It's a very religious holiday, so one would assume those who don't believe in any sort of religion or higher being wouldn't waste their time with such nonsense.

It's a very religious holiday, so one would assume those who don't believe in any sort of religion or higher being wouldn't waste their time with such nonsense.

Our church doesn't teach that Christmas was the exact date of Jesus birth, just as we don't teach Easter to be the official resurrection. We discuss his birth, death, resurrection on almost every occasion rather than pinning it to a specific date.

I say all of that to state it doesn't have to be religious. We celebrate the holiday with trees, presents, music, etc. but typically leave the religion out of it.

The secular season that has come to surround the Christmas season has grown to a level that you can celebrate the Solstice or Saturnalia or the Winter Festival all you like without most of the Christian traditions.

A much more elegant way of stating my feelings on it. Let's be honest, Christian or not, Christmas for most is about:

- Buying gitfs

- Retail sales

- Uncomfortable family moments

- People laughing when they hear Feliz Navidad

- Booze in the eggnog

Any Atheist can get behind that.

I would say that almost all Americans think about Jesus at Christmas time. They think about the other Christmas stuff more (as do I at times) but Jesus still pops in their head during the Holiday.