Browns Fire Sashi Brown

I think the last straw for Sashi Brown was when they missed on the trade deadline for McCarron. I was listening to the radio broadcast of the Browns-Bengals game driving back to the Cinci area and Dave Lapham mentioned that he was down on the field pre-game near where AJ MCCarron and AJ Green were warming up. Lapham said Hue Jackson walked over to them and Green points at McCarron and said, "You coulda had him! You coulda had him!" obviously referring to the near trade. Hue didn't respond but he greeted them and then he took McCarron to the other end of the field to where Jimmy Haslem was standing and the three of them started talking.

Lapham was like, "Hue did this out in the open for everyone to see! It was like it was a job interview for McCarron." He said, I don't know what this means but it looks like Hue is not happy with how the failed trade went and is trying to get McCarron after the season. McCarron may end up in Cleveland after all."

My first thought when hearing Lapham's report was, that looks to me like Haslem favors Jackson over Brown and Sashi is on his way out. Then, when a Cleveland sports reporter questioned Jackson why Cleveland was unable to pull off several plays inside the Bengal's 11 yard line, 1st and 10, with 20 seconds remaining in the half... the Browns threw an 8 yard pass then spiked the ball to stop the clock and kick a field goal. The reporter wanted to know why they couldn't run multiple plays in that amount of time and take shots into the end zone. Jackson's response was, "Our team is not equipped to do that." The reporter pointed out that other NFL teams are able to pull that off, Hue again said, "We're not equipped that way."

What?! It seems he is saying his players are not capable of running multiple plays in 20 seconds from the 11 yard line. That is a ridiculous statement. As Dennis Manoloff of the Cleveland PD pointed out, what Hue is really saying is that he is not happy with the talent Sashi Brown has given him and especially at the QB position. It's not that he doesn't like Kizer or think that he has potential, it's that he wanted McCarron to be running the offense in that situation. Hue literally threw Brown under the bus, and Kizer for that matter, with that statement. Hue is letting it be known that he thinks Brown has put his team in a position where they cannot win because of who they traded away or didn't take to help their team.

Hue's dissatisfaction was first noticed when Brown let CB Joe Haden go just before the season. The losses are taking its toll on Hue. About a month ago, when he was asked if he thought "the plan was working" and if his team had the talent necessary to "win now" he refused to answer and said, "You'll have to ask the front office. That's not my job. My job is to coach the players I have and get them ready each Sunday." That answer indicated he did not like where Sashi had left the team talent-wise.

So when Lapham reported that Hue took McCarron over to talk to Haslem pre-game, it sure looked like Sashi was on his way out.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns try very hard to get McCarron when the season is over.

Here's my take on the firing of Sashi Brown.

When the Browns get some decent QB play and start to win some games next season, the new guy will get the credit, but Sashi Brown has laid a foundation for it. They will draft several good players including a QB with the picks Sashi accumulated and together with some other good talent Sashi brought in they will start to win but he won't get any of the credit. The new guy will.

I don't think this move is fair to Sashi Brown. I am pretty sure everyone was told they had more than two years to produce a winner, don't worry about a couple of losing seasons. Brown went on Haslem's word and knowingly tore the team down to its bare bones in order to build it back. One win in two seasons brought about a fan reaction that caused Haslem to lose his nerve and Jackson to get angry and impatient. These two factors forced Haslem's hand. So he fired Sashi Brown.

My guess is the new guy and Jackson better hit on a good draft and then win some games or Hue will be looking over his shoulder at the end of next season. Time is no longer on Hue's side.

Just heard Dorsey got the job. Going to wait and see with him. I like the fact that he is old school,and a good Evaluator. Just been burned too much with the browns over the last 19 years. I'm not even pumped about it. They are such a cluster!!!!

Naming Sashi Brown g.m. was a big mistake!!!All he was before was a lawyer for Jacksonville. Then you put him in charge of picking players!!!! Who didn't see that train wreck coming. Reminds me of the Bengals of the "90"'s, with Jim Lipincott as the director of player personnel. HE CAME FROM MOELLER HIGH SCHOOL!!!!

You saw how great the Bengals were in that decade!!! Good luck browns. We will see.

Edited by bugatti

Dorsey has had good success building KC's roster as GM. He was fired by KC in June of this year possibly for "internal communication and management style" issues. In other words, he and Reid did things differently.

In addition to helping KC build a consistent winner after being 2-14 the year before they hired Dorsey, he also helped the Packers build a Super Bowl winner and was there when they drafted Aaron Rogers. He brings experience and success to the Browns. He also is not an analytics-type guy. He's more of a traditional football guy. We'll see if he retains DePodesta, Mr. Analytics at the Browns, or if he cleans house in the personnel department. Technically, DePodesta reports directly to Haslam and is not under the GM but I am sure if Dorsey wants to make a change, Haslem makes the change.

When the Giants made their changes, Haslem made his move because he didn't want to be in the position of joining the running for a candidate after the good ones were taken, something that happened just a few years ago.

Here we go again.

jJust heard Dorsey got the job. Going to wait and see with him. I like the fact that he is old school,and a good Evaluator. Just been burned too much with the browns over the last 19 years. I'm not even pumped about it. They are such a cluster!!!!

Naming Sashi Brown g.m. was a big mistake!!!All he was before was a lawyer for Jacksonville. Then you put him in charge of picking players!!!! Who didn't see that train wreck coming. Reminds me of the Bengals of the "90"'s, with Jim Lipincott as the director of player personnel. HE CAME FROM MOELLER HIGH SCHOOL!!!!

You saw how great the Bengals were in that decade!!! Good luck browns. We will see.

Dorsey has had good success building KC's roster as GM. He was fired by KC in June of this year possibly for "internal communication and management style" issues. In other words, he and Reid did things differently.

In addition to helping KC build a consistent winner after being 2-14 the year before they hired Dorsey, he also helped the Packers build a Super Bowl winner and was there when they drafted Aaron Rogers. He brings experience and success to the Browns. He also is not an analytics-type guy. He's more of a traditional football guy. We'll see if he retains DePodesta, Mr. Analytics at the Browns, or if he cleans house in the personnel department. Technically, DePodesta reports directly to Haslam and is not under the GM but I am sure if Dorsey wants to make a change, Haslem makes the change.

When the Giants made their changes, Haslem made his move because he didn't want to be in the position of joining the running for a candidate after the good ones were taken, something that happened just a few years ago.

Here we go again.

I hope the Browns mess it up. However Sashi put them in a great position to truly start trying to win now. With all those draft picks and all the cap space they have. They have a chance to put together a very nice team. So as I think you mentioned. Sashi may have a true long term goal in mind, and it may suck for him that he didn't get to see it through. They are set up to build a good team now.