Stray bullets

ukcatfan17

My son was back in the woods in a ladder stand yesterday. The property line is about 75 yards behind him and there is a subdivision that runs along the back of the property. One of the homeowners decided to shoot their semi- auto rifle in their backyard and my son could hear some bullets whizzing around and hitting into the leaves on the ground. They shot off probably 2 clips in rapid succession. After the hunt we went over to the subdivision and the first door we tried sure enough said he was shooting. I mentioned to him that we are hunting on the property behind him and that my son heard some bullets come by his stand. He said he was "shooting into the ground". My guess is that he was standing up the hill on his deck shooting down into the creek valley in which my son was sitting just up from. I said I didn't care if he shot on his property, but he needed to ensure the bullets were staying on his property. Mind you again, this is a subdivision. What is the law on this anyone?

Most, if not all, towns/cities have laws that forbid discharging fire arms in city limits. Not sure if this subdivision is in the city limits. If not then he is probably ok to shoot. That said he sounds like a complete idiot. If he was shooting in a manner that was allowing bullets to extend that far beyond his target he is being extremely reckless.

If your son is allowed to hunt, I'm assuming it is county (not city) and the guy can discharge his firearm no different than your son could hunting? Looking at it from the other side, I'd be afraid of someone hunting in the backyard of a subdivision where kids played? Assuming he was gun hunting, not bow.

Crossbow hunting in an unincorporated part of the county on 22 acres. Facing away from the subdivision toward the center of the property.

I'm guessing he lives in the same unincorporated part of the county as well. He would be allowed to discharge his weapon. Shooting into another property may be the issue that needs to be addressed?

I'm guessing he lives in the same unincorporated part of the county as well. He would be allowed to discharge his weapon. Shooting into another property may be the issue that needs to be addressed?

That's the crux of my question. Shouldn't he be responsible for where he shoots to keep the bullets on his property. I believe that people use the back end of this property I hunt on to shoot into as they feel no one is back there. All the houses are at the other end on the main road.

That's the crux of my question. Shouldn't he be responsible for where he shoots to keep the bullets on his property. I believe that people use the back end of this property I hunt on to shoot into as they feel no one is back there. All the houses are at the other end on the main road.

He should yes. Depends on where his property ends. If he hit someone, he would be liable, assuming it was not on his property. I'm not sure I'd want to be in those woods if they shoot often.

He is 100% responsible for every bullet he fires. If his shots are crossing property lines he is 100% wrong and has zero business shooting.

Just spoke to the police and was told that their bullets should not be straying across property lines. They said to call them if it happens again.

And if you're in Independence where this is occurring, you only need to be 100' from the center line of a public road to discharge a firearm. Therefore, even though he's in a subdivision, he can still fire away.

And if you're in Independence where this is occurring, you only need to be 100' from the center line of a public road to discharge a firearm. Therefore, even though he's in a subdivision, he can still fire away.

Not in kenton co. I'm not saying he can't fire on his own property. He's just responsible where his bullets go.