Stray bullets

ukcatfan17

He should yes. Depends on where his property ends. If he hit someone, he would be liable, assuming it was not on his property. I'm not sure I'd want to be in those woods if they shoot often.

My guess is that he would be liable regardless of whether the bullets crossed his property line or not. If you're going to fire off a weapon, you best make sure you have a backdrop that would keep anyone else from being injured from a stray or ricochet'd bullet, otherwise I can't see anyway that you wouldn't be liable for any injury from said bullet.

I get it that this guy wasn't trying to harm anyone, but it sounds like he could have certainly killed or wounded someone due to his negligence. Had he killed someone, he would have likely been charged with involuntary manslaughter, even if it happened on his property.

If someone is firing rounds into woods as you have described where others hunt, play, etc. then in my opinion they are guilty of Wanton Endangerment in the 1st Degree and that is a Felony.

Or put another way, just because there isn't a specific law that says someone can't discharge a firearm doesn't give them the legal right to do stupid stuff and when you do stupid stuff with a firearm it is a felony.

If it happens again call the police, tell them this is an ongoing issue, float the Wanton Endangerment 1st statute, send the police to the address in question, and then request the police meet you so that you can discuss the enforcement action they are going to take against the crazy felon that keeps busting caps off his back deck.

My guess is that he would be liable regardless of whether the bullets crossed his property line or not. If you're going to fire off a weapon, you best make sure you have a backdrop that would keep anyone else from being injured from a stray or ricochet'd bullet, otherwise I can't see anyway that you wouldn't be liable for any injury from said bullet.

I get it that this guy wasn't trying to harm anyone, but it sounds like he could have certainly killed or wounded someone due to his negligence. Had he killed someone, he would have likely been charged with involuntary manslaughter, even if it happened on his property.

If I’m firing on my own property and do not know and individual is trespassing and accidentally hit them. I feel confident I would not be held responsible.

If I’m firing on my own property and do not know and individual is trespassing and accidentally hit them. I feel confident I would not be held responsible.

Trespassing laws in this state don't give you the right to shoot someone. Even if for instance it's an accident, you would likely still be charged with something. My guess is that given that you had no ill will, you could or likely would beat the charge, but you would still likely charged with what would typically be a felony.

Moral of the story/thread is that if you don't have enough sense to shoot a gun and not hit someone with stray bullets, then you shouldn't be shooting a gun anyway. I'm not talking about you TAC, just the thread in general.