Ken Burns' "The Vietnam War"

Yeah, I'm all in. I just finished watching episode three (of ten). "The River Styx" takes us up to 1965, and contains footage surrounding the battle portrayed in the movie We Were Soldiers.

This hasn't disappointed so far. Ten years in the making and it shows. Gritty (graphic), honest, gut wrenching, and heart breaking.

Links to online streaming and social media for discussion:

The Vietnam War: A film by Ken Burns & Lynn Novick

After watching the first two episodes, I missed the third and so haven't picked it back up. When I get some time, I'm going to resubscribe to KET (which I did for years but somehow let lapse in the last couple) and watch it on their app, which if I remember right is Chromecast compatible, making for easy viewing.

After watching the first two episodes, I missed the third and so haven't picked it back up. When I get some time, I'm going to resubscribe to KET (which I did for years but somehow let lapse in the last couple) and watch it on their app, which if I remember right is Chromecast compatible, making for easy viewing.

It's worth the effort IMO Getslow. I caught up last night and they've done a great job revealing the complex layers of the war.

We DVR'd the series and haven't had a chance to watch much yet. My father=in-law, who did multiple tours in Vietnam, started watching the series and hopefully has stopped because he immediately started having panic attacks.

I've talked to one of the three Vietnam Vets whom I know well about watching it. He's watching it on DVR, and said he's about two-thirds of the way through the 3rd episode. The first two episodes weren't too bad for him, but he said he has only been able to watch the 3rd in about 15 minute intervals.

I have an uncle who was in the 1st Cavalry Div. who was really in the thick of things during in 67/68/69. He still has some pretty profound issues with PTSD. I would be kind of surprised if he is watching it, but even so, I hope he doesn't have the inkling. The series has been really up-front and unflinching about showing everything they have been able to find...and they've done an excellent job of it, but I think it would be pretty difficult for my uncle to take in, and it's probably just best for him not to watch it.

Kind of similarly, I asked my dad on Friday if he was watching (dad graduated from high school in 1966, and about half of his high school buddies served in Vietnam). He gave a pretty long pause and then said, "It was on the television every single night for a decade. I was there when it all made its first run on TV. I don't need to watch it all over again."

You can watch the entire series on PBS.org. I'm through episode 8.

Ken Burns Vietnam on PBS

I remember a lot of this. Our last station before Dad retired from the Army was at Ft. Dix, March 1967 to March 1968. For reference, I turned 10 in '68. I vividly remember the assassinations of Dr. King and Bobby Kennedy, the race riots and anti-war marches, and the shootings at Kent State.