Do we have any Formula One Fans here on BGP?

theguru

Absolutely!

I have been a big Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikkonen fan for a long time.

I originally started watching in the late 80s as an Ayrton Senna fan.

Wow, I didn't know.

I like Lewis and Kimi but I an not a fan of Kimi's teammate Sebastian Vettel.

And I can't help it I like the Red Bull cars so count me in for Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen.

Racing has been in the blood of our family since inception (from dirt ... to Nascar, etc)

A few thoughts/suggestions ...

*Watch the documentary Senna (or at the very least ... read/find as much information about the weekend that he died as you can--there is literally too much to read)--that weekend is a journey in pure misery--but it had a large impact as to where things are now (safety, Michael Schumacher's role, Prost, etc). The actual documentary is probably the best racing documentary out there.

*It took me a LONG time to really enjoy it ... (coming from a NASCAR background--where the cars are supposed to be the same--so it is a true test of who is the best driver) .. remember--F1 is about the team. They can spend just about as much as they want and a great team updates their cars, aerodynamics, chassis, etc on a race to race basis. With that said ...

*Knock out qualifying is usually the most exciting aspect of a race weekend (it has gotten to the point where there is very little overtaking for the lead or the top 5 spots--so qualifying plays a huge role in a race weekend).

*On the F1 website ... they have a great section which explains the most important aspects ... ie: the steering wheel (each one costs around $75,000 a piece .. and that was a few years ago). Parc Fermme, overtaking, aerodynamics, etc ... its worth a few hours.

*Also on the F1 website ... pay the 2.99 a month for the unlimited timing/scoring app. Its a little better than raceview for Nascar ... you get a ton of data ... timing, tires, the scanner feeds from the drivers, a cool real time graphical representation of the cars on the track ... really cool to follow along with the race.

*The history of the series is exceptional ... and it can keep you busy for a long time.

*If you ever get a chance to go ... DO IT. The only race in the USA is in Texas ... but it is worth the trip (I went when F1 was in Indianapolis ... wow!)

I know what you mean with Vettel ... but I have softened up on him a little (honestly ... because of the impressions he does of Kimi ... he is pretty freaking funny).

Some of the guys in the middle/back of the back are pretty cool as well. Alonzo is a cool cat ... I also like Romain Grosjean and Valttieri Bottas. Hamilton is my guy .... he respects the history of the series ... and is a pretty classy guy to meet in person (Not to mention ... he came over a few years ago to Jeff Gordon's final race as a show of respect.

Either way ... do some looking into Senna ... as the famous F1 commentator Murray Walker said ... "he believed that he had a God-given right to win" ... not to mention .. his foundation has raised upward of 500 million dollars since his death for the people of Brazil. Good stuff ...

• Like 1

I am going to keep referring back to your post and check some of those things out.

I hear you on Vettel, I get that type of personality, but I admit I cheered out loud when his left front shredded on him a couple of races ago with a lap to go. I think he dropped three or four places. :lol2:

Racing has been in the blood of our family since inception (from dirt ... to Nascar, etc)

A few thoughts/suggestions ...

*Watch the documentary Senna (or at the very least ... read/find as much information about the weekend that he died as you can--there is literally too much to read)--that weekend is a journey in pure misery--but it had a large impact as to where things are now (safety, Michael Schumacher's role, Prost, etc). The actual documentary is probably the best racing documentary out there.

*It took me a LONG time to really enjoy it ... (coming from a NASCAR background--where the cars are supposed to be the same--so it is a true test of who is the best driver) .. remember--F1 is about the team. They can spend just about as much as they want and a great team updates their cars, aerodynamics, chassis, etc on a race to race basis. With that said ...

*Knock out qualifying is usually the most exciting aspect of a race weekend (it has gotten to the point where there is very little overtaking for the lead or the top 5 spots--so qualifying plays a huge role in a race weekend).

*On the F1 website ... they have a great section which explains the most important aspects ... ie: the steering wheel (each one costs around $75,000 a piece .. and that was a few years ago). Parc Fermme, overtaking, aerodynamics, etc ... its worth a few hours.

*Also on the F1 website ... pay the 2.99 a month for the unlimited timing/scoring app. Its a little better than raceview for Nascar ... you get a ton of data ... timing, tires, the scanner feeds from the drivers, a cool real time graphical representation of the cars on the track ... really cool to follow along with the race.

*The history of the series is exceptional ... and it can keep you busy for a long time.

*If you ever get a chance to go ... DO IT. The only race in the USA is in Texas ... but it is worth the trip (I went when F1 was in Indianapolis ... wow!)

I know what you mean with Vettel ... but I have softened up on him a little (honestly ... because of the impressions he does of Kimi ... he is pretty freaking funny).

Some of the guys in the middle/back of the back are pretty cool as well. Alonzo is a cool cat ... I also like Romain Grosjean and Valttieri Bottas. Hamilton is my guy .... he respects the history of the series ... and is a pretty classy guy to meet in person (Not to mention ... he came over a few years ago to Jeff Gordon's final race as a show of respect.

Either way ... do some looking into Senna ... as the famous F1 commentator Murray Walker said ... "he believed that he had a God-given right to win" ... not to mention .. his foundation has raised upward of 500 million dollars since his death for the people of Brazil. Good stuff ...

Had no clue it was this involved and I am not sure I am understanding everything you said, but I am intrigued. I may have to check it to. So I should start with the doc on Senna?

Had no clue it was this involved and I am not sure I am understanding everything you said, but I am intrigued. I may have to check it to. So I should start with the doc on Senna?

On top of everything qs listed, most of which I was not aware of, Formula One Cars are a sneak peek into the near future of automated driving machines that that easily perform 6G Turns. In other words, pretty soon when you order up your automated Uber you can pay extra for the Formula One experience.

Here is @quickslick 's favorite driver, Lewis Hamilton showing us how it is done.

On top of everything qs listed, most of which I was not aware of, Formula One Cars are a sneak peek into the near future of automated driving machines that that easily perform 6G Turns. In other words, pretty soon when you order up your automated Uber you can pay extra for the Formula One experience.

Here is @quickslick 's favorite driver, Lewis Hamilton showing us how it is done.

So that's really cool. I hear this squeaking noise, I assume is the wind, but could it be equipment to the maximum level? How many gears do these cars have and the amount of time they shift is mind boggling.

The Senna documentary is exceptional .... in my opinion ... one of the best sports documentaries ever created. It is basically the gateway to the modern era ... but more importantly ... it sheds light on one of the most tragic, foreboding weekends in sports history.

So that's really cool. I hear this squeaking noise, I assume is the wind, but could it be equipment to the maximum level? How many gears do these cars have and the amount of time they shift is mind boggling.

The whine is the basic/normal sound of a transmission/gearbox downshifting ... pretty similar to what I hear in my Mustang (not so high pitched).

It looks like Lewis had 8 forward drive gears ... he also has reverse. Most of the F1 guys are usually running 7 speeds plus reverse.

There is a great in-car from Monaco (should be on youtube) or Senna and Hamilton in a side by side in car shot driving through the municipality. The differences between then and now are amazing. Senna is taking one hand off the wheel to shift driving at a torrid pace on city streets ... while Hamilton looks nearly as busy shifting with paddle shifters. Both look extremely challenging ... but seeing Senna pull his hand off the wheel to shift with an "old school" shifter is pretty amazing.

• 1 month later...

Since the last post in this thread @quickslick 's favorite driver, and one of my favorites too, Lewis Hamilton won at both the Belgian Grand Prix and in Italy.

I see from the practice sessions the Red Bull cars are doing well. From the Formula 1 website:

Red Bull again proved the team to beat in Friday evening’s second practice in Singapore, with Daniel Ricciardo leading the way from team mate Max Verstappen. This time it was Mercedes rather than Ferrari who were their closest challengers, with Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas third and fourth fastest.

I've watched a few races in the last few years and it's definitely my favorite racing series. My girlfriend's family loves racing and her dad absolutely loves F1. I've learned a ton in the time we've been together and still feel like I have no idea what's going on.

I've watched a few races in the last few years and it's definitely my favorite racing series. My girlfriend's family loves racing and her dad absolutely loves F1. I've learned a ton in the time we've been together and still feel like I have no idea what's going on.

Definitely a steep learning curve which adds to the appeal.

• 2 weeks later...

A Lewis Hamilton profile is part of the newest episode of REAL Sports with Bryant Gumbel, airing on HBO tonight. I'm a casual fan of racing, but prefer F1 to any other format. I like Hamilton, his family and back-story. Looking forward to learning more about him.

Lewis Hamilton Preview | Real Sports | HBO

Edit: Just finished watching. Nice part about his brother too. Even "casual" maybe an overstatement to my fandom. Didn't realize he'd fired his dad a good while back.

Edited by Runcible Owl