Anyone have Misophonia (irritation/hatred of certain sounds)

BigVMan23

There are some specific sounds I just can't stand...some almost to the point of hatred and it literally drives me nuts if I have to hear it for any length of time. Someone popping gum as they chew, or smacking their mouth as they eat are two of the sounds that literally make me want to rip someones tongue out. Pouring liquids...like someone pouring coffee from a thermos highly irritates me. Well, there is actually a name for this, and there are a few famous cases that go way out there. It's called Misophonia. Yep, it's a real thing.

Misophonia - Wikipedia

Ever heard of this? Anybody have certain sounds that trigger them in this way?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should say this because with pouring liquids, I truly get a kick out of this sound to the point it tickles me inside. A friend of mine knows this, and as a joke will at times while we're talking on the phone, hold the phone up close to him pouring coffee or various other liquids. Really don't know how I got this way, but it just makes me giddy and chuckle.

As far as sounds that drive me nuts:

Right off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more...

-Small children screaming incessantly while they are playing.

-Motorcycles

-Sudden unruly random outbursts and noises in public

- The loud buzzing of someone's car stereo speakers

- Kids running around the grocery store smacking their flip-flop sandals to the floor because they know it empowers them somehow to make this noise.

-Annoying amped up loud sound effects in movie trailers at the movie theater.

I'll be sure to post more when they occur to me.

My man, you need to take deep breaths and count backwards from 10-1 slowly....:lol2:

When someone sounds like a hog chomping at the trough when they eat? Dude, that's EXACTLY what I have to do to keep from caving their face in.

Can't stand the sounds of people eating, including scraping silverware across the plate. My blood pressure goes up when someone opens a bag of chips or takes out a piece of gum.

Do you eat, open chips or chew gum?