8th Region Recap Week 10 2/6/17

Where has this season gone? It seems as it has moved really quick or I am just getting older. Coaches are tired, players are tired, BUT anticipation of best part of the season is coming up. Everything teams have worked for will be dangling in front of them in two weeks. Throw records out the window, as a new season begins in the Bluegrass state. In the 8th region it is really hard to say who will be playing in Roy Winchester gymnasium. The #2, vs. #3 match-ups in all districts should be great games to watch. Any of those teams can make the journey to Henry County in a couple weeks.:popcorn:

1. Oldham County Colonels (21-4)

The Colonels are the hottest team in our region. They are finding ways to win games, and that points to a team that is a favorite to represent the 8th at Rupp. The 29th district arguably has 3 of the 4 best teams in it right now. Colonels got wins over Simon Kenton, and Louisville Eastern and showed some toughness in both games. Simon gave them a scare as I thought they would if they could handle the pressure. The size of the Pioneers will be an issue for some teams moving forward. The Big 4 is what I call Jones, Jackson, Henderson and Larimore, the question "who to take away"? Will be a hard one to answer. Ryan Heelen is another kid that just makes plays when he has too. Colonels have Desales, and CAL this week.

2. South Oldham Dragons (20-3)

It appears that the Dragons have righted the ship somewhat, but their schedule has let the benefit of getting back into a flow of knocking down 3's, making teammates better, and getting the transition points that make the Dragon's so good. The Dragon's got a big win over district rival North Oldham, a game that will see a rematch in a couple weeks, and a win over a beat up Gallatin County team. The Dragon's have 3 guys that can just go nuts if you let them in Griffin, Young, and Franklin. Griffin is my vote for POY if I had one. Does it all for the Dragon's. South has Eminence, Central Hardin and Owen this week. The Central Hardin game will be a test for the Dragon's. 5th region, all I have to say about that...:isurrender:

3. Collins Titans (19-7)

One more win and the Titans have won 20 games yet again. Word on the street is they are getting close to be healthy and that bodes well for these Titans. The Titans beat Harrison and Owen County this week, and have a tough last 4 games of the season. We have mentioned the top 2 teams as having 3-4 kids that can hurt you, well this Titans team has 4-5 that can hurt you. Cochran and Turner get a lot of attention as they should, BUT Fort, Feltner, and McKnight all are capable of big nights. The loss of Fort and Feltner has allowed teams to get zoned more, and took away that paint area, when those 2 are back it will be tough on the 8th region teams. The Titans have Desales and St. Xavier this weekend.

4. Walton Verona Bearcats (19-5)

The Bearcats are approaching the 20 win season mark, what a job Coach Brannen has done with this team. The Bearcats defeated Whitfield Academy, Grant County, and Trimble County this week. They played really well against Grant County and played awful the next day against Trimble. I worry about their team speed against these 3 teams ranked above them, but they have size and a style that wins them games. The Bearcats have Lloyd, St. Henry and Henry County. We will see what they are made of next week as they travel to Crestwood and play the Dragons.

5. Spencer County Bears (16-7)

The Bears remain in my 5 spot this week after beating Carroll and Henry County. I worry about their schedule that remains and if they are going to be challenged these last 5 games. As the season ends competition is very important as you see the Oldham, and Collins schedule above. Coke and Cannon lead this team in scoring, Wheeler, a senior is their leader, and the nucleus of young talent makes them dangerous. Coach Burns gets the most out of them, a trip to Roy extra important moving forward. The Bears have Shelby County, Rock Creek Indiana, and Louisville Collegiate this week. If the Bears win over Shelby County they are #2 seed and will face Anderson in the district tourney, however a loss and we have a 3 way tie for 2nd place.

6. North Oldham Mustangs (15-10)

This teams is starting to put it together. They have been impressive since the return of Henry to the line-up. South and Oldham both beat the Mustangs, but were in a dog fight heading into the 4th quarter. They have won 8 of their last 9 games. The Mustangs lost to South and beat Carroll County this week. They have Owen and Meade this week. The Mustangs continue to be led by Henry and Wheeler, if they continue to get production from Yates it makes them better. Rebounding worry's me for this Mustang team.

7. Williamstown Demons (15-10)

Speaking of teams that are putting it together, this Demon team has won 7 of 8 as well, with the only loss coming to Walton by 1 in Bearcat country. Coach Harden has done a great job with this team, they lost one of their best players (Cipillone) prior to the start of the season to Lloyd, and it took them a while to learn to play without him, and they are doing that well now. Demons with wins over Gallatin, Trimble and Ryle, impressive Demons! They have Pendleton, Bracken and Carroll this week. (2) 10th region teams that have Allen and Crawford, 2 D-1 players. Making this week challenging but preparing them for end of the month. Stanley, Jump and Good, are having good years for the Demons.

8. Anderson County Bearcats (13-10)

I know some people assumed that the Bearcats would be heavy favorites this season, and they may get hot in a couple weeks and win the whole thing, after all they did get to the final last year and no one thought they would. Bearcats still have one of the best coaching staff's around and one of the best players in Penny, so you better not count them out. When you have distractions, and they have had their share starting with Gillis transferring to get it stared, it can be challenging to say the least. The Bearcats beat Gallatin County, and lost to Lincoln, and Frankfort. They went to Stanford and played well at times, but the Frankfort loss is a head scratcher. The Bearcats are looking for consistency on offense when Penny doesn't score. They have Carroll, Owen and Simon Kenton this week.

9. Simon Kenton Pioneers (12-12)

The Pioneers are showing life, beating Owen County this week and being tied with Oldham under 1 minute left shows the Pioneers are not going away so easy. If the younger kids like Neice can play like they did vs. the Colonels they will be at the Roy in a couple weeks. If Neice is anything like his sister he is a competitor and will be a very good player for the Neers. The Neers have Campbell County and Anderson this week, 2 tough ones. The Pioneers play a brutal schedule, if they had some other's schedule would people still be complaining?? They are still led by Hawkins and Kelch, but as I have said all year, they need help. If they start getting it, look out.

10. Grant County Braves (13-12)

This Braves team has been up and down this last week, but have a shot at getting to the Roy as they have defeated Willamstown and Simon this year. They lost (2) this week to Walton Verona and Mercer County. The Walton game was never close, a huge rival when those 2 play each other. The Braves have Conner, Scott County and Boone this week, so a hard week for sure.

11. Gallatin County Wildcats( 14-11)

The Wildcats have had a tough week but when they do not have the services of Wilson an all region player that is hard to overcome. The Wildcats are also in the brutal stretch of their season as well. Hopefully they will get Mason back for post season play and be dangerous at the Roy. The Wildcats lost to Williamstown, Anderson, and South Oldham this week. They have Trimble and Villa Madonna this week, so Wilson may still be resting.

12. Henry County Wildcats (9-16)

This Wildcats team just can not find consistency, BUT could find themselves playing in their own gym in a couple weeks at the regional tourney. Hinkle continues to have a good season for the Wildcats. Henry County will play Eminence in the #2, #3 slate at Henry County in the district tourney and should be a dandy. Henry lost to Grant County and Spencer this week. They have Walton and Shelby this week. They will have a chance to move up some spots in my rankings.

13. Eminence Warriors (12-11)

Coach Brown has done a good job in his first season. The Warriors have one of the best players in the region in Jenkins, and have split the 2 meetings with Henry County, their opponent in the tourney in 2 weeks. The Warriors are up and down as most of the 6-15 teams are in the ranking. They lost to Lloyd, and Spencer but defeated Carroll County this week. The Warriors have South Oldham and Trimble this week.

14. Shelby County Rockets (5-19)

Coach Cates has 7 seniors, and they just do not act like seniors should on the court. Loser's of 7 straight, and just not showing consistency for 4 quarters. The Rockets have some young kids that are developing and could be dangerous in a couple weeks. Armstrong continues to lead the Rockets, he is one senior that they have that will battle you for 32 minutes. TJ Robinson has a bright future for the Rockets. I believe that their JV won districts this week for the second year in a row. The Rockets lost to Atherton, Frankfort and Central Hardin this week. They have a big one at Spencer this week, and go to Henry County on Friday.

15. Owen County Rebels (6-17)

The Rebels have lost 8 straight, and have 10 losses by 9 points or less, they have been in a lot of games all year, that they probably shouldn't, and that is a testament to Coach Duvall and his staff. This team can beat anyone in their district and if they can win the district, people throw record's out the window. They lost to Simon, Collins and Bourbon this week, a brutal stretch of 2 year contracts from last years team. They have North, South and Anderson this week, a tough stretch for sure.

16. Carroll County Panthers (4-19)

The Panthers are loser of 14 straight, and that can take a toll on the coaching staff and the players, but they are still battling each night. The Panther lost to Spencer and North Oldham this past week, 2 of the better teams in the region. They have Anderson, Williamstown and Bellvue this upcoming week. The Panthers are led by McMahan 18.3 ppg, and considering he gets the best defender every night he has still managed around 450 points this season.

17. Trimble County (3-20)

The Raiders have lost 20 games this season, and continue to fight every possession. They lost to Evangel Christian, Walton and Williamstown this week. They played Walton well this weekend only losing by 8. The Raiders have Gallatin and Eminence this week and hope to find another win.

Player of the week:

Cobe Penny from Anderson County. Penny averaged 22ppg in the last 3 games and continues to lead this Bearcat team. Anderson will have a chance in every game with him on the floor.

Games of the Week:

Shelby County @ Spencer County 2/7/17 7:30 (battle for seeding)

Anderson County @ Simon Kenton 2/10/17 7:30

St. Xavier @ Collins 2/11/17 7:30

Pendleton @ Williamstwon 2/6/17 7:30 (come see D. Allen, one of the best young players in the state)

Simon Kenton @ Campbell 2/7/17 7:30 Best team in the 10th region vs. 8th region

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Shelby County lose many kids to Collins? It seems like they haven't been relevant the past few years.

When they split...I think 5 years ago?...it decimated Shelby and most of the athletes went the way of Collins. Collins was instantly a force in basketball and football. It seems the way the district is drawn up, Collins gets more than their fair share of the talent pool that the county as a whole has to offer.

I work with some Shelby County people and have dealings with several more...many are still very sore about the school splitting.

I for one think the split was totally uncalled for. Original plan was to build an 8/9 center but decided to go with 2 HS. More to that story.

To my knowledge Collins kids are Collins kids and shelbys are shelbys. No transfers. Last 2 years the football has been Shelby side and younger basketball was swinging until Conley going to Spencer hurt that group. IMO there will not be a change till they redistrict. Was talk of that BUT it sort has gotten dropped.

Rankings look good to me!

Things are just not right on the basketball court. It appears at times some of the kids are ready for it to be over.

To be honest they are some young good kids at both schools, but losing kids like a Daryl Hicks or a Conley will hurt any team. Collins had benefited from transfers, plain and simple, they have at least 5-6 in the last 5 years, Cochran this season. If he isn't there they are not in the conversation I think. Shelby lost Gordon last year and it killed them as well. I would say that basketball in general is not good in the county.

Miles Rice, Darryl Hicks???? You like tobmention transfers in, what about guys who left. If those 2 stay, they win state title. Smith and Cochran are both good move ins, but smith had hard time scoring in gym by himself and Cochran is good, but if you had a team of Mcnight, Feltner, fort, Dominique, Eades, you are still top 3 in region.

By the way, TJ Robinson at Shelby was at collins and transferred over to a in county move.

"Basketball in general not as good" compared to where in the 8th region?? Lol, who are you comparing them to, I want to hear this, I know the middle school scene and calling shelby out for not having talent in general is a huge assumption, would like to know how you can back that up? What county are you comparing them to??

Very well done @8th Region Warrior. I have actually seen over half of the teams play this season (9 of 17).

This is just my opinion, but I think of the top 9 teams that any of them could beat one of the other 8 on a given night.

However I think from these top 9 that there are only 3 that can win 3 straight games over quality teams in the regional tournament. Those 3 in my opinion are South Oldham, Oldham Co. and Collins. My sleeper team would be Spencer Co.

Sometimes being young helps them play free - no pressure that it is their last chance and no expectations of winning. That makes teams very dangerous. Look at South last year - Did not get out of District the year prior, got thumped by OC in District finals, draw the hands down sure bet to win Region Owen Co in first round, slide by a game Collins team before blowing out Anderson who they lost to badly earlier that year. Yes they were a Senior heavy team but those seniors had bench experience and little floor experience going into the region. Yes I think OC, South and Collins are top choices but if SK, AC/Spencer get a first round victory they could be very dangerous for favs. If South and Collins get cold from three against SK then they could be watching from the bleachers.

Calm down Papa I am not saying there is not talent in the county of Shelby, I am saying it is not close to being what it was, (1) regional title since the split, and that is for Collins, big upset in my opinion, Coach Gaither did a great job that tourney. Shelby has made regional tourney I think twice, this coming from a county that has 15-16 regional titles. However there are some good young kids in the system, keeping them in Shelby is harder than you think. Most go to Louisville for AAU basketball and never return. Yes they lost Rice and Hicks, I will even throw in Lionell Gaines he also went to Shelby West. But other schools lose kids to in the 8th region to Trinity, I know the Oldham's have lost several, heck Anderson lost a big piece this year.

Now I will address your other stuff, they are not top 3 in the region without Cochran period. He is a top player in the region and has packed them at times this season, I would still think they are capable of winning the region as I think they have some good young kids coming up, but they wouldn't be a favorite.

A state title with Hicks and Rice, I don't think so either, that is the year you got Dez Marshall, and (2) kids from Chicago if I recall, so it all works out in the wash.

Players lost: Gaines, Conley, Rice, Hicks

Players Gained: Cochran, Marshall (all time leading scorer), (2) kids from Chicago I think last name was smith, Jackson Test (Australia)

Like I said all works out in the wash

Ok, response

Spencer played Collins without all of collins players, Cardsrule you are definetly #1 fan of Spencer and in 3 years will be great, but the moral wins you give them are enough to hand them the Moral State Championship, and that is fine, we will go with it.

Warrior.

The year collins won it They only lost one region game all year, so an upset??

Yes the split has hurt shelby, imagine some of these other schools splitting, it would kill them also. Collins has still been in the thick every year.

Only one of the kids from Chicago, Terez, played much. Test is not playing college Bball.

Also, those 3 of 4 lost are all 4 D1 players, none gained are close to D1

Edited by PAPA PIGSKIN

Is the "Open Enrollment" proposal just going to make this worse? I can see where magically a seat opens up and it just happens that a good player (name the sport) is next in line for the transfer. As mentioned in another thread, lets get back to school/town loyalty and enjoy playing the game with the kids you grew up with and leave the showcasing to the AAU circuit - enough politics with that to cover everything. Let the kids enjoy the game while they can.

I think with the coaching now days there are always going to be transfers. I believe who the coach is, the schedule the team plays, aau affiliation (more louisville) all has to do with it.

The days of staying together I believe are gone.

I also think Collins will continue to get transfers primarily because of Simpsonville growing like it is, families will move there.