Highlands Coach Matt Winkler Announces Resignation

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who are the candidates to get this job?

Obvious one is Nieder (sp?). He's already on staff, played at Xavier, and (most importantly) is a teacher at the high school.

I'm sure that there are quite of few former players that will apply. There is a LOT of talent coming up through the current 7th grade through Sophomore classes. They will be young next year, but w/ Gish, they'll have the perfect leader to get the young guys moving in the right direction.

Obvious one is Nieder (sp?). He's already on staff, played at Xavier, and (most importantly) is a teacher at the high school.

I'm sure that there are quite of few former players that will apply. There is a LOT of talent coming up through the current 7th grade through Sophomore classes. They will be young next year, but w/ Gish, they'll have the perfect leader to get the young guys moving in the right direction.

What did this Nieder coach? How about Ewald at CampCo? Are there any potential coaches who have kids in the program?

What did this Nieder coach? How about Ewald at CampCo? Are there any potential coaches who have kids in the program?

He was a Varsity Assistant and had a big role in the day-to-day training and practice. He is well liked by the players.

I am not sure if Neal Frink will apply. He's been the JV Coach for the last few years and a club coach for a very long time. He's a soccer lifer and a GREAT coach. He's tough but fair and my son blossomed under him this past year. Either he or Nieder would be great.

Ewald has been doing great things w/ CC, winning the region last year. There are a couple others. It will be interesting to watch.

Why is this most important? I would think his coaching qualifications would be most important.

He has the requirements, no doubt about that. So all things being equal, having the coach in the building is an asset.

I understand that, but the original post seemed to suggest that being a teacher in the high school is the most important quality.

I understand that, but the original post seemed to suggest that being a teacher in the high school is the most important quality.

Sorry, I should have qualified my post better. I meant that there are going to be a lot of qualified candidates applying based on the talent that Highlands has coming up. Finding a teaching job isn't always easy, so you have a very very good candidate already teaching, it gives him a leg up.

Gotcha. I didn't know if this is stressed more than soccer/coaching qualifications. I know in some counties, being a teacher or at least an employee in the school system is a requirement, no matter how qualified someone might be. So I was just curious if this was the case.