Watching Friday 1/13/17

nWo

I'm watching Friday for the possibility of some freezing rain. For now mainly along and north of I-64. I'll be keeping an eye on it and will update in the morning. As of now, the WPC has a 50-60% chance

zr_acc.us_ov7am.png

prb_24hicez_ge.01_2017011100f072.gif

Morning update:

There could be some freezing rain in the Cincinnati/NKY area around 4 am Friday morning then change to all rain. Both the NAM and GFS models are in pretty good agreement that the freezing rain could return during Friday afternoon. Total accumulations of around .05" in the Cincinnati/NKY area. Southern Indiana and the Louisville area could get .10-.40" of freezing rain accumulations. This mainly in the southern Indiana area.

Remember we are still a couple of days away and the timing and possible accumulation totals could change. I'll update later today.

We were considering driving over to Champaign Friday afternoon and back Sunday or Monday.

It's not an important trip. Think we should we cancel that?

I just took a very quick look at the model forecast you should be ok Friday afternoon. Friday evening it will start to get bad in that area. I give you a more detailed look later today.

@coldweatherfan

I just checked the latest NAM run looks like you'll be ok for trip if you leave Friday afternoon. For now it looks like the freezing rain will hold off till between the 7-10 pm ET time slot. That is when the NAM is showing the freezing rain/ice reaching the Champaign area. Finally exiting Champaign around or after 7 am ET Saturday morning. Freezing rain/ice accumulations in and around Champaign from around .08-.11". One new thing it is showing is that the freezing rain/ice looks to return Saturday night with around another ..5-.10" accumulations.

I'll update you in the morning.

For the rest of us their is a little difference between what the NAM and the GFS models are showing. The NAM is showing freezing rain in parts of WKY along the Ohio River and the Cincinnati/NKY by Saturday morning. The GFS has it going on a more northerly track and missing Kentucky. Keep checking back for any updates.

Morning update:

The models are going back and forth on this system. The GFS is showing a slightly more southerly track and now the NAM is showing a slightly more northerly track. So probably won't get a good read on this until later today or tomorrow morning.

One thing that is consistent in both models is central Indiana and Ohio are going to get some freezing rain.

Check back later today for my update.

I'm in a quandary about how to dress for today. Do I dress for this morning? Or for this afternoon? :lol2:

:D

Most of Kentucky will be in the mid 60s for highs today. The temps will start dropping into the low to mid 50s around 4 pm ET. WKY where it may reach upper 60s will see the temps drop into the upper 40s to 50s by the same time. We may see a line of thunderstorms develop along the leading edge of the cold air mass. As of now nothing looks to be severe but I'll be keeping and eye on it.