Newport Central Catholic 57 Boone County 41

Per @frankdracman23

Kind of a workman-like win for NCC. Hall is the real deal and the offense runs thru him as it should. Probably a deeper team than NCC has had in quite awhile.

Past bigs for NCC were very good basketball players but the QB now playing b-ball after 4 years not playing has some serious athletic ability. Dunks tonight were as effortless as you will see in a high school game.

Boone Co relied on the 3 a little too much but inside looks were not falling. Still they hung around and they will knock some of the better teams off this year.

Per yours truly :lol2:

NewCath 13-14-19-11---57

Boone Co 08-10-14-09---41

NewCath

Hall 14

Wurtz 12

Henschen 8

Moeves 8

Neff 5

Pangallo 4

Luken 3

McDaniel 3

Jefferson 1

FT's 16/23

Boone Co.

Nyman 11

Bowman 8

Rodgers 7

Ba 6

Haynes 5

Robbins 2

Hicks 2

FT's 5/8

Breds defensive pressure gave the Rebels fits tonight, but Boone Co. did not give up all night.

Both teams didn't shoot well from the field, but when the Breds went inside it started to pay dividends.

Was really impressed with the play of the Breds Patrick Henschen. 3 blocked shots, made some very nice plays on defense (the save of a ball going out of bounds was AMAZING), but the alley-oop dunks were FLAWLESS, he got some serious hops! Tip of the cap to Moeves and Pangallo on beautiful passes on both flushes.

The game got "chippy" at the end. I can't recall the Boone Co. player, but he was all over Jefferson on a couple possessions (Ref's even spoke to them) and with clock winding down, less then 10 seconds remaining, Jefferson is dribbling near the end-line under the NewCath basket, when he forcefully shoved out of bounds, an immediate Intentional Foul is called.

Like the point production from Trey Wurtz, he has the ability to get double figures every game. He is very smooth down low, but needs to maintain that "get out of my way" mentality.

Someone better tell Newport Central Catholic that their "NewCath" uniforms are in violation of the no shortening the name rule. :sssh:

NewCath upsets Cooper in boys’ basketball showdown between two of area’s top teams | NKyTribune

I still won't use that middle name to describe that school. It had 2 names when I went there and the only time I was called using my middle name is when I was in trouble.

I expected Moeves to become a more prolific scorer than he has turned out to be.

He played football this year. In fairness, he's been surrounded by 4 very good scorers over his career. I'd expect him to get his sea legs and become a 13-15 pt guy w/in the month.

When you are 6'6 w/ a 37 inch vertical, you will be a weapon at the high school level.

If NCC ever gets to the point where they can play 2 of their 3 bigs together that is a tough matchup for any high school team. They have 3 that all bring different things to the game. Plus they do not have to worry about foul trouble.

If NCC ever gets to the point where they can play 2 of their 3 bigs together that is a tough matchup for any high school team. They have 3 that all bring different things to the game. Plus they do not have to worry about foul trouble.

Is the Henschen kid more athletic then the bigs they had in the past years. How tall is he