Destination: Flatwoods

Richie Cox & Billy Kouns came to visit me today. Then, tonight at the baseball game, we ended up talking about Flatwoods & the Russell Red Devils. I got so fired up I am not sure I can go to sleep tonight.

Because the Russell Red Devils were so good, they were the most important game on our schedule. If we could beat them, we could probably win our district and beat everyone else. Ivan McGlone's Red Devils, their wing-t offense, and Garry Morris's odd front defense drove much of our program at Mason County. We worked on the Red Devils all year. We worked our reads and fundamentals versus a two TE wing-t every spring and preseason as part of our base defense. We called it November Drill, but it could have been Red Devil drill.... working against the blitz in the red zone.... every week... spring, summer and fall.

Flatwoods became my favorite place to play a football game. It is nice to play a home game, but there is something special about going into your rival's home stadium, especially when your rival is good. It probably was not as hostile as I tried to make it. But, I always talked myself and my team into believing it was a hostile environment and that we were beyond prepared for a challenge that would bring out the best in our team.

My coaches at Mason would tease me that the over/under for me saying "Flatwoods" that week was around 40... or higher. I loved to talk about Flatwoods and usually had to say the words right after the previous week's game on Friday night when we gathered as a team. They also would tease me about getting there too early. But, I loved that place and that game. I wanted to get there as quick as I could on those Friday nights and soak it up.

As much as I enjoy the flame coming from the devil on the scoreboard, it is definitely a bad sign if you are seeing a lot of that during the game. Pregame is good! Usually when we were in Flatwoods, it was cold, raining, and we got a heavy dose of the Rolling Stones & Led Zepplin before the game.

Pregame speeches are overrated. My favorite one was the night I told our guys that we were going into the Devil's Den. We were going to look the Devil in the eye, stick our hand in his chest, rip out his heart, and watch him bleed and die. The Red Devils got us in a close one. But, as I got on the bus, I get a phone call from Ray Graham, then the coach at Harrison County. I had shared my pregame speech with him before we had left. Ray proceeds to tell me that they had upset Franklin County and he had used my speech. I said, "Ray, that doesn't make any sense. Franklin County is the Flyers." He says, "I know. I used it anyway!"

It took us TWELVE YEARS to win in Flatwoods. But, we finally did it and then won 3 in a row.

Trosper will be a senior in the fall of 2021. I am hoping that for week 10 we can go to Flatwoods and play the Red Devils. The travel will be tough, but it would be great preparation for our team going into the playoffs. Hopefully by that time Boyle County will be in our district and week 10 will be open. Hopefully we will BE a playoff team in 2021. It would be great for our team, and it would be cool if Trosper could experience again the trip to Flatwoods and getting to play there like his big brother did.

One last time, it would be great to walk down those steps with my football team at Henry R. Evans Stadium in a cold October rain, with Kashmir ( Led Zepplin) blaring on the sound system. Great atmosphere, venue and opponent. Flatwoods. My favorite place of all.

BlackShoes&WhiteShoeStrings: Destination: Flatwoods

Great read, @ChiefSmoke. The Russell/Flatwoods community has a tremendous respect for you and the program you built in Maysville.

At some point in the early 00's, the Mason Co. game became the most important game on Russell's schedule year in and year out, as the outcome often decided the district. The Royals definitely had Russell's full attention. I want to say that Mason's first ever win over Russell came in 2001(first win at Russell in '08).

The rivalry was never better than it was in 2002. Both teams were great that year. The Royals began that season with a win over '01 3A Runner-up Rockcastle Co. The sound of that gauntlet being thrown down travelled all the way from Danville to Flatwoods. Mason Co. walked into Henry R. Evans Stadium on September 20th as a pretty sizable favorite, at least in my eyes. My memory is a little foggy, but if I recall correctly(feel free to correct me, Chief), both defenses played lights out and neither offense could get much going. Mason led 7-6 late in the 4th quarter and had Russell backed up deep in their own territory before Red Devil great Josh Gross broke free for a long(80-ish) yard touchdown to set the final score at 12-7. Russell went on to win the district, but the Royals weren't done with the Red Devils yet. The two teams met again in the regional championship game on November 22nd(a link to that game can be found below). The weather was so bad that week that the field at Russell was virtually unplayable. The Ashland Tomcats were kind enough to allow the game to be played at grand, old Putnam Stadium. The rematch was much like the first game: great, hard hitting defense, spinning tires on offense. Russell prevailed again by the odd score of 11-8, winning it's first regional championship since 1984.

The following season, Mason Co. moved up to 3A and the rivalry was put on hold until 2007. After a four year hiatus, the two schools picked up right where the left off, deciding both the district and regional championships that season as well. After that, Coach Buchanan and the Royals started to get the upper hand on Russell. But I've rambled on enough, so we won't get into that :D.

A Mercer Co./Russell game at Russell would surely pack the house. The Red Devils owe the Titans one from back in '06.

As for the video below, at about the 20:45 mark, the great Dustin Grutza to Chris Lofton combination strikes to give Mason a lead. At the 39:00 mark, Russell's Josh Gross brakes some poor young man's ankles on his way to pay dirt. A couple of great memories from a great rivalry.

[video=youtube;_HH-Rzur6ew]

Great read, @ChiefSmoke. The Russell/Flatwoods community has a tremendous respect for you and the program you built in Maysville.

At some point in the early 00's, the Mason Co. game became the most important game on Russell's schedule year in and year out, as the outcome often decided the district. The Royals definitely had Russell's full attention. I want to say that Mason's first ever win over Russell came in 2001(first win at Russell in '08).

The rivalry was never better than it was in 2002. Both teams were great that year. The Royals began that season with a win over '01 3A Runner-up Rockcastle Co. The sound of that gauntlet being thrown down travelled all the way from Danville to Flatwoods. Mason Co. walked into Henry R. Evans Stadium on September 20th as a pretty sizable favorite, at least in my eyes. My memory is a little foggy, but if I recall correctly(feel free to correct me, Chief), both defenses played lights out and neither offense could get much going. Mason led 7-6 late in the 4th quarter and had Russell backed up deep in their own territory before Red Devil great Josh Gross broke free for a long(80-ish) yard touchdown to set the final score at 12-7. Russell went on to win the district, but the Royals weren't done with the Red Devils yet. The two teams met again in the regional championship game on November 22nd(a link to that game can be found below). The weather was so bad that week that the field at Russell was virtually unplayable. The Ashland Tomcats were kind enough to allow the game to be played at grand, old Putnam Stadium. The rematch was much like the first game: great, hard hitting defense, spinning tires on offense. Russell prevailed again by the odd score of 11-8, winning it's first regional championship since 1984.

The following season, Mason Co. moved up to 3A and the rivalry was put on hold until 2007. After a four year hiatus, the two schools picked up right where the left off, deciding both the district and regional championships that season as well. After that, Coach Buchanan and the Royals started to get the upper hand on Russell. But I've rambled on enough, so we won't get into that :D.

A Mercer Co./Russell game at Russell would surely pack the house. The Red Devils owe the Titans one from back in '06.

As for the video below, at about the 20:45 mark, the great Dustin Grutza to Chris Lofton combination strikes to give Mason a lead. At the 39:00 mark, Russell's Josh Gross brakes some poor young man's ankles on his way to pay dirt. A couple of great memories from a great rivalry.

[video=youtube;_HH-Rzur6ew]

That is great stuff! All is correct, except that our first victory came in Maysville in 1997. We had some tough losses and heartbreaks in the series, but those Royals-

Red Devil match ups with Ivan and Garry on the other sideline were some of the best memories/experiences for me in a lifetime. What an opportunity and experience to compete with great coaches and a program like Russell has. Most of the time it was a GREAT game.

I am different than most people. I respect my rivals that are good programs & people. I don't hate them. Flatwoods is a great place.

I would add, the perfect guy to continue the legacy is TJ Maynard. An old Red Devil and great person/coach.

Hopefully the Titans & Devils can meet in Flatwoods one night. Regardless, I am sure I will find my way back there eventually. I may be a little old man, but I will get there. Too many great memories.

That is great stuff! All is correct, except that our first victory came in Maysville in 1997. We had some tough losses and heartbreaks in the series, but those Royals-

Red Devil match ups with Ivan and Garry on the other sideline were some of the best memories/experiences for me in a lifetime. What an opportunity and experience to compete with great coaches and a program like Russell has. Most of the time it was a GREAT game.

I am different than most people. I respect my rivals that are good programs & people. I don't hate them. Flatwoods is a great place.

I would add, the perfect guy to continue the legacy is TJ Maynard. An old Red Devil and great person/coach.

Hopefully the Titans & Devils can meet in Flatwoods one night. Regardless, I am sure I will find my way back there eventually. I may be a little old man, but I will get there. Too many great memories.

How could I forget 1997?! I was on that Russell team. We were bad that year. I think I may have tried to block that season out, lol.

Coach Morris was/is a great football coach. I think '97 might have been his first year as an assistant at Russell. Coach McGlone deservedly got credit for all the wins and championships, but I don't think Russell reaches the heights that they did in the 2000's without Coach Morris leading the defense. From '02-'07, he was as good a defensive coordinator as any in the state.

I'm sure you know this as well as anybody, but behind every great head coach is a great staff. Coach McGlone was fortunate to have Coach Morris(among many others) on his staff and Coach Maynard is fortunate to have inherited him.

You're a class act, Coach Buchanan. Knowledgeable football fans(of which there are many in Flatwoods and Maysville) recognize and appreciate a classy program that does things the right way, even if they're rivals. I'm sure I can speak for all of Flatwoods when I say, you're welcome here anytime.

I was on the 97 team that beat Russell, however I took a few beat downs from them as well! There is no better coach then Coach Buchanan, he was always nostalgic and aggressive at the same time. Thankful to have learned so many great things from him as a young out of control teenager!

-Coach Johnson

Great read and article. Being from the area I appreciate seeing articles like that. One thing that I was confused about though was the references to Flatwoods, then after thinking about it, Russell High School is in fact Flatwoods, Ky rather than Russell, Ky. There are so many small towns in this area its hard to keep up with the borders since they all run together. Anyway, excellent article.

I'm just hoping that Mason County can get back to being competitive with the Red Devils. Sure seems different without Coach Buchanan on the sidelines. Coach Thomas has learned from one of the best so lets see what he and the team gets done this year. Hopefully that old injury bug stays away.