KY High School Football Coaches have negative feelings about Rawlings Footballs

theguru

Colleagues:

Not sure if you noticed in the press release sent out by the KHSAA yesterday that the contract with Rawlings is up and they are issuing an Request for Proposals.

I did an informal survey on the coaches' list serve a few years back and found that well over 95% of coaches responding had negative feelings about having to use RAWLINGS as our ball in the playoffs.

Now would be our time to let our voice be heard -- I know $$$ will make the ultimate decision, but as I've heard Mr. Tackett say many times, the KHSAA isn't some outside body imposing its will. It's an association of 'us.' If that's the case, then overwhelming sentiment against something we all are required to do should have some merit even over what's best for "us" $$$-wise.

I'm not asking for any of us to do anything subversive or negative. I'd really just ask that we as a profession --the ones most directly affected by being required to use one particular ball--let OUR opinion be known.

I'd recommend tweeting @khsaafootball and @khsaa some kind of hashtag like #nomorerawlings or maybe something promoting the brand you'd like us to use?

Mike Jackson

Social Studies Teacher/Football Coach

Ballard High School

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just asking the obvious (because I'm not directly in the know):

What are the complaints that coaches are having about the Rawlings balls?

Rawlings balls aren't made as good as Nike Vapors or Wilsons. Fatter and slicker. Not made as well either IMO.

Have you been happy with the quality of the Rawlings Football used for KHSAA events?

Yes 16

No 84

Would you like to move away from using Rawlings footballs?

Yes 90

No 9

Skipped 1

What brand of football would you like to use for your team?

Wilson 70

Nike 19

Under Armour 3

Adidas 2

Skipped 6

The balls dont hold air, the laces come apart too easy. If the balls get wet at all they are ruined.

They go from tacky to slick in no time, especially as it gets colder. And as was mentioned, they are fatter than the other balls, mostly because they don't hold their shape well. Nike, Wilson, Baden and Spalding all make better balls than Rawlings.

I've seen some teams use composite balls over leather, which just baffles me.

They yellowish balls are no different than the darker brown balls. The color is actually supposed to make them easier to see at night under the lights.

Simply put... Rawlings balls are AWFUL compared to a Wilson GST ball. Absolutely NO COMPARISION.

Bought a dozen Wilson GST's and used all year in practice and games and they are still in good shape. Had to use a Rawlings ball for practice the week of a playoff game and during the game.... Just threw the balls away after the game... They are that bad.

In Pennsylvania, the PIAA went to the Rawlings balls for the playoffs (you could use them in regular season or Wilson). Coaches have hated it. Players complained. And when they get wet, the ones the PIAA uses (not sure if exactly the same) the red dye bleeds off and stains jerseys. Looks like a bloodbath sometimes as it's a vibrant rusty red color.